Getting cold...favorite bourbon?

4 hours ago, 1971snipe said:

Thanks for the link.  It's an interesting read although I had to read parts of it carefully, where it was difficult for me to follow.  In fact I'm still not sure what I read wrt the Seagram's 7 blend component.  Is Bulliet Rye an S7 component essentially?  Too early in the morning for me perhaps.   

Essentially yes on the Bulliet Rye but it is a bit more complicated. The list is very long when it comes to whiskies coming out of the Midwest Grain Products distillery.

Lets look at just three like Dickell, Redemption and Bulliet ryes. The mash bill is exactly the same when sold to each company. What they do with that base whiskies is all different when it comes to the barrels they use and how they are aged. That can make a big difference in how each tuns out and tastes.

Large distillers selling off excess stock or selling to small boutique brads is very normal. There are very few of these small local so-called distillers that are actually distilling any whiskey. Some come with great back stories that are mostly fiction. Many hide where what comes in their bottles actually comes from. Some are very up front about where they source their.  whiskies.  

Here in Utah we have High West with their little tasting room in Park City. It has a nice looking still but they source most of their whiskey from MGP and they really don't hide that. It is good whiskey.

Some of my favorite bourbons all come out of Heaven Hill...Evan Williams, Henry McKenna and Willett. All are different but because of who makes the whiskery they have some similar traits.

Here is a list of MGP sourced whiskies.

https://www.great-taste.net/tidbits-kudos/industry-news/whisky-brands-that-are-made-at-mgp/

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mike Connally

• 1971snipe

• kgb

• Jalinkly

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have cheap tastes when it comes to Bourbon. I still think the Evan Williams Black Label drinks well out of its price range.   I took this photo last June for National Bourbon day  

In my circle of friends, drinking bourbon is euphemistically referred to as “sipping apple juice”. A gift from my son today:    

The man cave. Lots of dog doors.        

Posted Images

On 10/17/2019 at 10:05 AM, Slowpokebill said:

Lets look at just three like Dickell, Redemption and Bulliet ryes. The mash bill is exactly the same when sold to each company. What they do with that base whiskies is all different when it comes to the barrels they use and how they are aged. That can make a big difference in how each tuns out and tastes.

Same raw alcohol, many different results, and we all benefit (potentially).  Not much different at Scotch distilleries who sell their basic expressions that define the brand and then age a year or two more or less, or offer finishing with different barrel types, and present some variations on their theme that may be more or less different than the varieties of Rye offered by the companies listed here.  Seems if we like one type it should be worth trying some of the others to see which comes out favored.  Then hope it's the cheapest of them.

On 10/14/2019 at 11:16 AM, Slowpokebill said:

Like almost all American rye whiskies Redemption sources their rye whiskey from Midwest Grain Products in Lawrenceburg, Indiana the largest producer of 95% rye mashbill whiskey. 

Here is an interesting article on MGP and a pretty good list of ryes and bourbons sourced from MGP. That list can help you spend your dollars wisely.

http://www.whiskeyprof.com/rye-whiskeys-sourced-from-mgp-ingredients-in-lawrenceburg-indiana/

Interesting read. Thanks for clearing things up too

As I have said previously, my all time favorite is Blanton's.  Recently, I have bought a bottle each of Elijah Craig and Basil Hayden.  I was impressed with the Elijah Craig.  It was quite smooth and full of flavor.  The Basil Hayden was nothing impressive to my taste.  Albeit, it is only 80 proof as opposed to the 93 proof of Blanton's and 90 proof of Elijah Craig.  Maybe that is why the Basil Hayden tasted kind of watery.  Just my opinion.

1 hour ago, jpari said:

As I have said previously, my all time favorite is Blanton's.  Recently, I have bought a bottle each of Elijah Craig and Basil Hayden.  I was impressed with the Elijah Craig.  It was quite smooth and full of flavor.  The Basil Hayden was nothing impressive to my taste.  Albeit, it is only 80 proof as opposed to the 93 proof of Blanton's and 90 proof of Elijah Craig.  Maybe that is why the Basil Hayden tasted kind of watery.  Just my opinion.

Gotta figure when they reduce alcohol content by adding water the final product should taste relatively watery.  Not just the potential burn you might feel from higher alcohol levels, the flavors added in the ageing process are washed a bit as well.  

Vodka and Gin probably get more use in mixed drinks than whiskies, but in a Martini they are pretty bare and make differences noticeable.  I like Plymouth Gin and figured if 82 proof is good the Navy Strength 114 proof should be better.  Bought some and found it too much of a good thing--watering it down by shaking instead of stirring and with added ice in that process makes it right for me.  Admittedly I haven't compared it directly with its lower % sibling to find any difference or make a $ comparison in using less of the stronger strain which I hadn't thought about until just now.

It's not cold here now, but I'm still enjoying a little Bulliet Rye this evening while slapping mosquitoes and listening to distant coyotes.  Goes well with a drop of sweet vermouth and a dash of bitters.  I'd add a cherry if I had one.  

• 3 weeks later...
Mike Connally

My current favorite.

Elijah Craig Barrel Proof C919. 

136.8 proof. 

Full of flavor. 

Only available every 4 months, in a different proof. 

A32C03DB-353B-4D4D-A563-FCC6B5297FF7.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Just got this as a gift. It’s pretty good, but first bourbon I ever had with a distinct sweet corn taste, not saying it’s bad, but it’s different 

93AF3A59-2DB3-4571-B858-62EED9012B94.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

In no particular order:

Woodford's

Jim Beam Black

Crown Royal

Canadian Club when $$ are tight.

I realize the Crown and CC technically aren't bourbons but I use the term generically.

On 12/10/2019 at 5:21 PM, Mike Connally said:

Tonight’s pour. 

Belle Meade Cask Strength Reserve. 

This one is excellent. 

40AE54A6-FFF8-4356-986F-8D200DB931ED.jpeg

6835C6A2-3E74-4B3B-9471-367EAC0FCBC0.jpeg

Only thing missing from that 2nd pic is a bird dog lying at your feet.

• 2 weeks later...