• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mike Connally

• 1971snipe

• kgb

• Jalinkly

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have cheap tastes when it comes to Bourbon. I still think the Evan Williams Black Label drinks well out of its price range.   I took this photo last June for National Bourbon day  

In my circle of friends, drinking bourbon is euphemistically referred to as “sipping apple juice”. A gift from my son today:    

I’m new to bourbon but I think I’ll have something out of my modest collection tonight. 

Posted Images

I have always been a bourbon man, but in recent years have spread out to Irish and rye. I like the Bulleit Rye and Dickel Rye. An interesting Irish I found is Slane. It's made in coordination with an American distillery and distilled at Slane Castle in Ireland. A little mild but very smooth.

9 hours ago, sneem said:

I have always been a bourbon man, but in recent years have spread out to Irish and rye. I like the Bulleit Rye and Dickel Rye. An interesting Irish I found is Slane. It's made in coordination with an American distillery and distilled at Slane Castle in Ireland. A little mild but very smooth.

Thanks I am almost out of Redbreast and will give Slane a try!

1 hour ago, Kurt said:

I drink Old Crow, straight, and shoot a Remington Wingmaster. and you're correct on the implications.

What implications?  

I shoot a Wingmaster as well, at waterfowl.  A 25 year old Wingmaster.  But Old Crow?  No.  But back in the late 50s - early 60s it was a very popular brand.  Sometimes now it's even hard to find.  The last time I had an opportunity to try some was at a remote duck camp, ca. '96 or '97 +/-, and I mixed it with Coca Cola.  

Old Crow is apparently the same product as Jim Beam that is aged for one less year, the version from years ago was a completely different whiskey.  It's only sold in 1.75L here in Nebraska that I can find, and there's plenty of it in the stores, but in Missouri I found it in 1L bottles.

On 2/9/2020 at 4:05 PM, Mike Connally said:

Sipping apple juice on the deck with Gunner. 

EC4561B8-3F9E-4487-8BC3-66AF3A2F612E.jpeg

Mike, another perfect picture. Looking forward to warm weather now that hunting season is over. 

Don’t drink but wish we could have gotten good cold days to need something like that. Guess it will get cold by March , about the time the crappies should be heading in the shallows to spawn.  It always happens lately and screws up my most favorite time to fish

• 2 weeks later...

I finished off the dregs from a bottle of Evan Williams Black label, and also a bottle of Wild Turkey 101.  We've had no winter to speak of here, the spring star has appeared, the cupboard is now empty, and I'm starting over.  

There's a guy on another forum that's really into the Band of Brothers series right now, and he's searching for a bottle of Vat 69, which was a brand favored by one of the Band.  I've located a bottle at a store near me, out of curiosity.  Have any of you ever tried it, and can offer comments?  

Meanwhile, I plan to pick up a bottle of Knob Creek Rye, a proven smooth drink.  

• 2 weeks later...

IMG-2698.jpg

Trees are starting to bud, green grass is showing in the bottoms and the days are noticeably longer but there's still a bit of chill in the air.  I've got 1/4 a bottle of Four Roses, most of a bottle of Wild Turkey and a wee bit of Bulleit Rye left from the winter.  I think I'll save these two soldiers for next fall.

Mike Connally

A while back in this thread I said that I had 23 different bourbons and I was going to cut back to just my favorites. 

That worked out well. I’m down to 26...

• 2 months later...
Mike Connally
On 3/3/2020 at 3:20 PM, Mike Connally said:

A while back in this thread I said that I had 23 different bourbons and I was going to cut back to just my favorites. 

That worked out well. I’m down to 26...

I’ve worked hard to cut down and only own my favorites. 
Again...

It’s  working out well. 
I’m down to 52. 

6C68DE79-219D-4686-B28A-800A4FF37241.jpeg