Getting cold...favorite bourbon?

Cracked the Evan Williams Single Barrel, I’d say it was “meh”.  Not horrible for the price point.

57586E5F-E068-4CFC-A1F6-F0382A5F0A56.jpeg

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mike Connally

• 1971snipe

• kgb

• Jalinkly

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have cheap tastes when it comes to Bourbon. I still think the Evan Williams Black Label drinks well out of its price range.   I took this photo last June for National Bourbon day  

The man cave. Lots of dog doors.        

A while back in this thread I said that I had 23 different bourbons and I was going to cut back to just my favorites.  That worked out well. I’m down to 26...

Posted Images

4 hours ago, chilly460 said:

Cracked the Evan Williams Single Barrel, I’d say it was “meh”.  Not horrible for the price point.

57586E5F-E068-4CFC-A1F6-F0382A5F0A56.jpeg

I'd always heard good things about the Evan.  Especially the BiB white label. 

WABBIT-SLAYER
2 hours ago, 1971snipe said:

I'd always heard good things about the Evan.  Especially the BiB white label. 

Yes, the Evan Williams Bottled in Bond white label is pretty good!

• 2 months later...

I am enjoying my usual, Buffalo Trace, Bulleit, Bookers, Eagle Rare (7 and 10 yo but I think I like the 7 best), Blantons, several of the Woodfords, and a few more.  My tastes are somewhat confined but not totally.  I also have a few of the Rye's by some the same folks that are kinda nice.

I’ve strayed a little bit tonight. Not technically a bourbon,

Jack Daniels Barrel Proof. 
A Tennessee Whiskey. 

At 132.2 proof it’s light years better than regular Jack. 

3CA46C51-9C2B-4258-99AB-0B94A02B9A07.jpeg

My favorite has been Angel’s Envy for a while. It is difficult to come by round these parts, but it’s not made of unobtanium like most Buffalo Trace distillery products.

However, last night I tried Weller Special Reserve.  I can see where WSR could get me in trouble. Smoothest bourbon to go in my mouth so far. Fortunately, it’s made of rarleyobtanium so the alcohol fund should be relatively safe.

I tried Jim Beam white label a few weeks ago.  Unlike all other cheap Bourbon I didn’t spit it out. I was quite surprised.

Since we’ve had three days of rain and the fields will be likely not be huntable until Saturday I guess I’ll have to try Jim Beam Black Label tonight.

You know September is national Bourbon month.  As an American I feel it’s important to do my part to support this national industry.

• 1 month later...

Saturday night at the cigar dinner fundraiser for the local Seafarers Center, there were three whiskeys for tasting:
Kentucky Owl Bourbon
Basil Haden Rye
Yellow Spot Irish Whiskey

Yellow Spot wasn't bad but was the harshest of the three.
Basil Haden was fairly smooth with a mild flavor, unlike other ryes such Old Overholt or BT Rye, which exhibit more flavor and more kick.
Kentucky Owl bourbon was by far the most popular of the evening, the crowds favorite. Full of flavor, smooth as silk, and a little sip seemed to go much further. I thoroughly enjoyed sipping a couple small glasses with a Fuentes cigar while visiting with a fellow older duck hunter.  

Yesterday and last evening I was doing some searches for Kentucky Owl, and I see that it's a small batch bourbon and that some bottles go for more than $300.  One batch called "confiscated" sells for $125.  I don't recall the bottles at Saturdays event displaying any other information, no age, batch, or anything else other than the name, Kentucky Owl.  I'm not going to buy a bottle at that price, but it sure was nice to taste it.  

I’m drinking the last drops of my Weller’s Special Reserve right now to celebrate the return of the mighty skunked wonder to the the inside of the house.

On 11/2/2020 at 6:36 PM, Windrider said:

I’m drinking the last drops of my Weller’s Special Reserve right now to celebrate the return of the mighty skunked wonder to the the inside of the house.

I stopped in a gas station in Iowa on my way back after the opener and low and behold behind the counter are several of the sometimes hard to find overpriced LLS bourbons.  I replaced a missing Eagle Rare for 33$ and she said she had another Weller's in the back.  Locally, both very hard to find.  Too bad, hot spotting isn't allowed.  I was grinning for 2 hours after this particular covert was discovered.

Mike Connally

Here’s one I haven’t tried in a while. It’s normally hard to find in Virginia so I scooped it up. 

DC9D7F61-4DD3-442D-9826-18B052442949.jpeg

6 hours ago, Mike Connally said:

Here’s one I haven’t tried in a while. It’s normally hard to find in Virginia so I scooped it up. 

DC9D7F61-4DD3-442D-9826-18B052442949.jpeg

That bottle behind it aint bad stuff either....  Just sayin....