• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mike Connally

• 1971snipe

• kgb

• Jalinkly

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have cheap tastes when it comes to Bourbon. I still think the Evan Williams Black Label drinks well out of its price range.   I took this photo last June for National Bourbon day  

The man cave. Lots of dog doors.        

Fixed it. 

Posted Images

Ya know, a buddy of mine and I are the bourbon drinkers at the hunt club of about 24 members. We keep "our" bottle in the cupboard and welcome others to have a taste of whatever we have there at the time. And it is usually with spring water.

Well, one Friday night a member's son showed up and consumed a healthy share of our bourbon. Actually all that was left in the bottle  that formerly held a generous supply Larceny. And the he tried to blame it on another member who, for one thing, was not there that weekend and who is also a beer drinker. This has been more than a month and there is no attempt so far at replacing the overused bottle. 

Hmmph. Gotta do it myself.

4 minutes ago, R Patten said:

Ya know, a buddy of mine and I are the bourbon drinkers at the hunt club of about 24 members. We keep "our" bottle in the cupboard and welcome others to have a taste of whatever we have there at the time. And it is usually with spring water.

Well, one Friday night a member's son showed up and consumed a healthy share of our bourbon. Actually all that was left in the bottle  that formerly held a generous supply Larceny. And the he tried to blame it on another member who, for one thing, was not there that weekend and who is also a beer drinker. This has been more than a month and there is no attempt so far at replacing the overused bottle. 

I believe I would hide the next bottle.  Or else put out a container for contributions.

Anyway, I bought my annual bottle of Wild Turkey 101 yesterday.  

I tried Angel’s Envy. Didn’t do much for me. Weller’s is very good. Fortunately around here it seems to be available most of the time. My go to bourbon is Bulleit. Good stuff. Fair price. I also like their Rye.

290B30AA-F534-4ABC-B405-B47285CE2F7A.thumb.jpeg.db2a1dd69bd5e8958949f2d2f8fc9275.jpeg

After weeks of intense deliberation, I finally chose a scotch for my holiday decanter and a bourbon to share with guests over the next couple months.  Picking a bourbon was easy.  Picking a scotch proved more difficult.  My requirements are it has to be easy drinking and approachable for guests who don’t really drink scotch,  yet also enjoyable enough for me.  It also has to be less than $45 since decanters don’t keep whisky very well (I keep the good stuff in the cabinet 😉).  I went with Glenfiddich 12.  Now we’ll see how long I can leave it alone . . .

Good casual scotch choice. If you make it through that one, glengoyne 10 or 12 are of a similar vein with a little less peat yet. Nice light easy drinkers. 

rick

Mike Connally
On 11/17/2020 at 12:19 PM, R Patten said:

A bottle of Larceny is 24.99. 
Throw his Dad out of the club. 

On 11/17/2020 at 12:26 PM, 1971snipe said:

I believe I would hide the next bottle.  Or else put out a container for contributions.

Anyway, I bought my annual bottle of Wild Turkey 101 yesterday.  

101. Always a good choice. 

18 hours ago, casts_by_fly said:

Good casual scotch choice. If you make it through that one, glengoyne 10 or 12 are of a similar vein with a little less peat yet. Nice light easy drinkers. 

rick

Those are good choices!  If we go through the Glenfiddich I may put the Glengoyne 10 in the Christmas decanter.  I actually prefer more peat, but most people probably wouldn't like that if they weren't really into scotch.  I have a bottle of Highland Park 12 right now I am really enjoying, but it's too good for the decanter I think.

20 hours ago, Mike Connally said:

A bottle of Larceny is 24.99. 
Throw his Dad out of the club. 

It was a bigger bottle than that.

WI Outdoor Nut
On 11/17/2020 at 11:34 AM, sneem said:

I tried Angel’s Envy. Didn’t do much for me. Weller’s is very good. Fortunately around here it seems to be available most of the time. My go to bourbon is Bulleit. Good stuff. Fair price. I also like their Rye.

Bulliet is my go to.  The only thing I liked better is when it first was mainstream about 10 years ago.  Was buying a bottle for about $20.  Now it is closer to $28.  The Rye is also very good.

• 1 month later...
1971snipe

Sipping on Crown Royal Hand Selected Barrel, with a dash of bitters, over an ice cube. 

Since it's from Canada it can't officially be called bourbon.  But it's a rye, anyway, and it's very good.  If I had some vermouth I'd be tempted to add a little and call it a Manhattan.  

Huntschool
On 11/19/2020 at 8:15 AM, RedL said:

Those are good choices!  If we go through the Glenfiddich I may put the Glengoyne 10 in the Christmas decanter.  I actually prefer more peat, but most people probably wouldn't like that if they weren't really into scotch.  I have a bottle of Highland Park 12 right now I am really enjoying, but it's too good for the decanter I think.

Thats good stuff..... and I am a bourbon drinker 

OK, it is not bourbon, but have any of y'all given Sazerac Rye a try?

https://www.sazerac.com/our-brands/sazerac-rye-whiskey.html

I was invited on a bird hunt a few years back down in lower SC on the Savannah River. Another fella was sucking up to the host and got him a high dollar bottle of bourbon. I was not to be outdone and went to my local ABC (aka a red dot store here in SC) and asked what would beat whatever the other bourbon was. The bourbon connoisseur in the store went in back and brought this out. The Sazerac and a box of South American cigars were a hit.

Incidentally, this rye is kept in back in the red dot store. Owner found out that folks would come in and buy it as his price and then carry it elsewhere for a significant markup.