Getting cold...favorite bourbon?

Mike Connally
17 minutes ago, Chad Linder said:

Good bourbon is getting harder to find due to high demand and limited supply.  I like 4 Rose single barrel, especially the store pics.  I like everything from Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare is a great bottle that can normally be found in most stores.  Elijah Craig is a solid bottle also. 

Yeah. A few years ago it was all about Scotch. Good sense has finally arrived and folks are realizing that bourbon has the most flavor of all the whisky. 

Weller is now almost impossible to find. 

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mike Connally

• 1971snipe

• kgb

• Jalinkly

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have cheap tastes when it comes to Bourbon. I still think the Evan Williams Black Label drinks well out of its price range.   I took this photo last June for National Bourbon day  

The man cave. Lots of dog doors.        

A while back in this thread I said that I had 23 different bourbons and I was going to cut back to just my favorites.  That worked out well. I’m down to 26...

Posted Images

I made this old-fashioned the other night with a store pick knob creek rye.  It is an excellant pour at 115 proof. 

YtNQFCQ.jpg

7 minutes ago, Mike Connally said:

Yeah. A few years ago it was all about Scotch. Good sense has finally arrived and folks are realizing that bourbon has the most flavor of all the whisky. 

Weller is now almost impossible to find. 

Lol

i reckon it depends on who you ask, good sense notwithstanding.

I have tried a lot of different Bourbons over the years Angels Envy rates high on my list but the one I prefer currently is made in NH at a little distillery in Seabrook called V5 made by Smoky Quartz it is a small batch and come is a small bottle .375 liters  It is called V5 in honor of the 5 military vets that make it.

I've had very little experience with Bourbons, particularly since I found peaty single malts, although I used to enjoy Wild Turkey when the club would put on a show...

Perhaps I should dip a toe in the waters..

3 hours ago, Mike Connally said:

My current favorite is Wellers Antique 107. 

Makers Mark Cask Strength, Elijah Craig Barrel Proof, and Eagle Rare 10 year are damn good also. 

I must like Blantons also because I have 5 bottles resting in my cabinet. 

More and more I find myself gravitating towards wheated  bourbons. I’ve come to really like sweet bourbons. 

You had a list in the last year or so that I pulled from that included Blandton's and Eagle Rare along with:
Bowman Brothers Small Batch
Buffalo Trace
Knob Hill Small Batch
Old Forester 1920 (a true sleeper)

Are the others still on your favorites list?  I've always been more of a wine drinker with the occasional Irish Whiskey so I took your "testing" as a starting point to try some bourbons.

It's 5 O'clock as I type this. Really bushed after chasing O'l Ruff around the balsams all day. They win again. I usually drink Vodka most of the year but at grouse camp it's top shelf amber spirits. I have a glass of Jameson Black Barrel in hand. Life is good!

This is by far the best

BirdDogBootleg.jpg

2 hours ago, Mike Connally said:

The barrel and Cask Strength bourbons are finding their way to the top of my list. Much more flavorful. Some, like Makers Cask Strength, I like to drink with a big chunk of ice. It changes flavor wonderfully as the ice melts. 

Having one now😋   

Good point made about changes to whiskies of all kinds as they are diluted, and in this and similar instances, chilled.  

This is really good too

Tinker's.jpg

Not really a winter drink, but makes a great Julep with wild mint.

Mint Julip.JPG

Off topic but a nod goes to Old Overholt.....in a way, I buy it for the label but the $17 or so does not hurt.

10 minutes ago, oak stob said:

Off topic but a nod goes to Old Overholt.....in a way, I buy it for the label but the $17 or so does not hurt.

I like the label.

I like Bulliet. Although I did get some Weller's and it was very good.

slightly off topic but I have also developed a taste for Dickel Rye.