Getting cold...favorite bourbon?

8 minutes ago, Slowpokebill said:

I tried a new bourbon recently, Henry McKenna Bottle and Bonded 10 Year Old Single Barrel. Even though I generally drink Scotch Whiskies and only bourbon on occasion and mostly Evan Williams Black Label or Bottle and Bonded I'm a bit of a whisky snob and once a pretty serious collector. I've had some of the best bourbons bottle.  The MeKenna might go right near the top of my list for whiskies of any type.

This bottle drinks way out of its price range. It is complex and very well balanced. It has just enough spice from the rye in the mash bill that comes in to offset the vanilla and oak from the barrels. There are some nice tobacco, leather, burnt sugar, caramel  and dark chocolate notes in there as well. The finish is nice and dry.

If you are someone that likes American rye whiskies and bourbons on the spicy side (I'm not a huge wheated bourbon fan) this is a bottle well worth trying and keeping on hand. My cost here in Utah was $35.

Todays photo.

169850718.EIIEwTTw.McKenna_after_the_hun

I don't drink it anymore but I still enjoy an artistic tribute, such as this!! Nice photo!!

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mike Connally

• 1971snipe

• kgb

• Jalinkly

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have cheap tastes when it comes to Bourbon. I still think the Evan Williams Black Label drinks well out of its price range.   I took this photo last June for National Bourbon day  

The man cave. Lots of dog doors.        

Fixed it. 

Posted Images

Mike Connally

That’s a nice bourbon. It’s hard to find here in VA so I try to keep several bottles in my cabinet. 

Good choice. 

On 9/28/2019 at 12:47 PM, Slowpokebill said:

I have cheap tastes when it comes to Bourbon. I still think the Evan Williams Black Label drinks well out of its price range.

I took this photo last June for National Bourbon day

169824289.44xztMPp.lusi_whiskey.jpg

I shudder to think how much of that stuff I put away but when I quit Evan Williams laid off half their workforce!!  I preferred the single barrel but wouldn't spend the $ to drink it all the time!!

Slowpokebill
9 minutes ago, Don Steese said:

I shudder to think how much of that stuff I put away but when I quit Evan Williams laid off half their workforce!!  I preferred the single barrel but wouldn't spend the $ to drink it all the time!!

Its my everyday bourbon to share with friends or put in a cocktail. I split between the black label and the bottle and bonded white label depending which is on sale.

Not a big bourbon guy but my daughter had this bottle engraved “Felix Sports Bar” back in 2017. That’s the name of my man cave in the garage. I’ve decided to open and drink it the day I retire. Well at least put a dent in it.

EACF8CA5-685E-4FD7-B232-9F2A5044250D.thumb.jpeg.885c50307563590b8182596161d3e887.jpeg8297149F-70B1-4F0B-B3AF-83FC37C5661C.thumb.jpeg.b7561d68fc443c9777fff3afb9d23605.jpeg

Geoff Roznak

Cragganmore.

Yeah...I know it's not Bourbon.  Can't drink that stuff without a bell-ringer of a head ache...

Just acquired a taste for the Jim Beam Repeal batch. Switching back and forth with some of my Canadian Whiskeys as the nights get colder. Not on the same night though........

Trying this one tonight. Some of my favorites are Basil Hayden, Bibbs & Tucker, Four Roses, and Colonel Taylor. Redemption is not bad at all and is pretty inexpensive. Feel the same about Buffalo Trace

CD764B9C-81DC-4241-9E39-91A58FC4FDFF.jpeg

Ran out of Fireball last night. Since its been snowing and super windy all day, I ran to Trigs and picked this up with a gallon of fresh apple cider.  Cheers gentlemen. 

EA2579E7-F4EA-493C-BA3C-A08E553A8327.jpeg

On 10/11/2019 at 9:40 PM, NJ_Springer said:

Trying this one tonight. Some of my favorites are Basil Hayden, Bibbs & Tucker, Four Roses, and Colonel Taylor. Redemption is not bad at all and is pretty inexpensive. Feel the same about Buffalo Trace

CD764B9C-81DC-4241-9E39-91A58FC4FDFF.jpeg

Like almost all American rye whiskies Redemption sources their rye whiskey from Midwest Grain Products in Lawrenceburg, Indiana the largest producer of 95% rye mashbill whiskey. 

Here is an interesting article on MGP and a pretty good list of ryes and bourbons sourced from MGP. That list can help you spend your dollars wisely.

http://www.whiskeyprof.com/rye-whiskeys-sourced-from-mgp-ingredients-in-lawrenceburg-indiana/

On 10/14/2019 at 10:16 AM, Slowpokebill said:

Like almost all American rye whiskies Redemption sources their rye whiskey from Midwest Grain Products in Lawrenceburg, Indiana the largest producer of 95% rye mashbill whiskey. 

Here is an interesting article on MGP and a pretty good list of ryes and bourbons sourced from MGP. That list can help you spend your dollars wisely.

http://www.whiskeyprof.com/rye-whiskeys-sourced-from-mgp-ingredients-in-lawrenceburg-indiana/

Thanks for the link.  It's an interesting read although I had to read parts of it carefully, where it was difficult for me to follow.  In fact I'm still not sure what I read wrt the Seagram's 7 blend component.  Is Bulliet Rye an S7 component essentially?  Too early in the morning for me perhaps.