REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
WI Outdoor Nut

Electric Bike for upland hunting?

john mcg
1 hour ago, martyg said:

Out here you are not "competing" against others on e-bkes but packers. And a half dozen horses will trash a trail more in one trip than a season of mtn bikers.

Yesterday's hike / run covering 10 miles and 3,400" should have been 3+ hours. It was 5+ hours because horses and cattle destroyed a trail.

Off the beaten path for us usually means terrain too steep and rocky for horses, and too far back for people to casually walk to. I have this one lake... Sits in a cirque, gets little sun so until July getting to it means ice axe / crampons.  No place to camp around it because the terrain is too steep. Big, dumb cutties and quartz crystals the size of a fist all over the place. Zero footprint. It is one of my lakes that I go into early, with the e-bike.

Yup--the horse/mountain bike thing on single track that I helped build and maintain and others--was a regular problem.

mccuha
2 hours ago, martyg said:

We have a warm bed and hot shower for you. Come on out.

Don’t tempt me I may have to take you up on it.  I really enjoyed fishing for cuts. There fight is not like most trout but man where they live is what it’s about

406dn

I'll never own a dirt bike,  mountain bike or electric bike,,, nothing against them, just zero interest. Horses however are another matter,,, those I'll own until they toss dirt in my face.

The areas open to bikes are places I avoid, there are enough places to ride horses without me intruding on their day or they intruding on mine.

I just got home from a weeks worth of elk hunting. The trails there get heavy use from horses going back eighty years or more. They are still very usable to either a horse or hiker. The most common trail degradation is fallen trees. Every year the weather will fell some number of trees onto the trails. Some are a minor nuisance, some will make a trail impassable. The forest service's budgets can not keep up with the maintenance needed on the network of trails they have. Many back country horse riders carry a good saw and clear trails, both for themselves and whoever is coming along behind them. 

There are many back country horse groups that volunteer considerable time and effort clearing trails, building bridges, or putting in erosion control projects. No doubt some of that is to assure that they are welcome in the future, but a big share of it is to make things better for everyone.   

WI Outdoor Nut
22 hours ago, gwponr said:

I don't like my dog getting worn out running along side between the good spots

pink-cruiser-bike-with-basket.png

Pink the only option?  Pulling up to the bar after a long hunt with the pink bike and the flower basket attached to the Yakima feels like I am opening up myself to some serious ribbing from my friends.  Good chance my "man card" would be pulled. 

WI Outdoor Nut
19 hours ago, martyg said:

WI - just a thought thinking about ROI... 1.25 miles is not 10 or 20 miles. Maybe $5K for a bike, you'll need a hitch mount rack (or put in the back of the truck), and time to load / unload. You should be able to cover 3 miles in an hour on non-mountainous terrain when walking. Assuming that your cover would be like a 30 minute walk in. Bike - maybe 10 - 15. Would it be worth it, net / net after the purchase, loading / unloading?

Where the e-bike may serve great utility... If you have the option to bike commute to work. Even if that ride is 25 or 30 miles, if you have good routes the e-bike would be a very cool alternative to driving. If you had another targeted use for it I think you'd really enjoy it and get utility out of it. Exclusively for that 1.25 mile walk - probably not.

I use a Specialized Levo Turbo on FS roads that are closed for the season. The rides are usually in the 10 mile range, and  gain 3,000 - 4,000+ in altitude. The lakes that I fish are a 0.5 mile to 7 mile walk in after I ditch the bike. For the lakes that are deeper in it is an overnight and usually involves snowfields and an ice axe to get across a saddle. I train on those same roads, and regularly ride them on one of my pedal S-Works. I could ride a pedal bike for fishing, but if my goal is fishing and not training the e-bike is a blast.Enjoy.

When I through out the 1 mile thing, in this particular spot, it is about 1 mile from the gate, then hunt a good cover, another 3/4 mile of non-productive woods, and then good again.  I could repeat this over and over.  I agree, not the 10 miles in so a simple mountain bike might be good enough.  I have also thought I could use this for my bowhunting. 

As you mentioned using it for commuting.  Most of my commutes involve jumping on a plane, because a car is not the right answer.  E-bike certainly won't work in my case:). 

martyg
48 minutes ago, WI Outdoor Nut said:

When I through out the 1 mile thing, in this particular spot, it is about 1 mile from the gate, then hunt a good cover, another 3/4 mile of non-productive woods, and then good again.  I could repeat this over and over.  I agree, not the 10 miles in so a simple mountain bike might be good enough.  I have also thought I could use this for my bowhunting. 

As you mentioned using it for commuting.  Most of my commutes involve jumping on a plane, because a car is not the right answer.  E-bike certainly won't work in my case:). 

Enjoy! E-Bay can be an outstanding place to find a deal.

A new Specialized Fuse or Chisel would be outstanding as well, and they are a great value as well.

E-mtn bikes are gaining acceptance for bow hunting out here.

River19

Marty, you know there are other companies besides Specialized right?  lol  Ones that don't have the baggage of the Big S?  I know you like Ned and all but........

martyg
6 minutes ago, River19 said:

Marty, you know there are other companies besides Specialized right?  lol  Ones that don't have the baggage of the Big S?  I know you like Ned and all but........

Yeap. But I am most familiar with Specialized. Having worked in those factories in Asia for a decade or two I have a unique perspective on everyone's processes from development to QA.

At the end of the day all frames come out of a few factories, and all carbon is sourced from one of two suppliers. Bike brands have really evolved into marketing companies, with Specialized being one of three that control the market and production.

bobman

Who makes a reasonably priced fat tire bike for hunting off of?

just basic transportation suitable for very steep roads and a older fart I’m no Olympian 

River19
26 minutes ago, martyg said:

Yeap. But I am most familiar with Specialized. Having worked in those factories in Asia for a decade or two I have a unique perspective on everyone's processes from development to QA.

At the end of the day all frames come out of a few factories, and all carbon is sourced from one of two suppliers. Bike brands have really evolved into marketing companies, with Specialized being one of three that control the market and production.

Well aware.

Just never been a fan of what the Big S has done from a business practice over the past decade + but they seemed to have taken notice of the wave of anti-Specialized sentiment and tweaked things the past few years.  They are making some really solid rigs at this point.  That being said, everyone else is as well and there are so many good choices out there today.  Once I met Cocalis I became a fan of Pivot and we both are riding Pivots these days but have a nice selection of 12 or so rigs to choose from at any given time.

Fat bike season is upon us........

martyg
2 hours ago, bobman said:

Who makes a reasonably priced fat tire bike for hunting off of?

just basic transportation suitable for very steep roads and a older fart I’m no Olympian 

Bobman -

First, this is the worst time of year to look for a fat tire bike. For many they are a novelty - they purchase at this time of year, and dump in spring. If you can, wait 'til spring.

You may not be happy with a "fat tire" bike. Look at mid-fats. Something in the 2.5"+ range. Go check out a few local bikes shops. ask questions. If you are working with a shop that deals in Trek, Giant or Specialized you will do well.

River19

Bobman, what terrain would you be riding on?  I literally have a bike with every modern wheel size and tire width available today short of 29"+.  Fats are great for certain applications, for us up north we have a great winter trail system on snow and ice where they are required, that being said they also excel in heavy wet mud......anything other than that, other configurations would probably be better.

Marty brings up a solid point of the "mid fats" which are typically 27.5" wheels with tires 2.6" - 3.0" wide while true fat bikes are 4-5" wide.  We have wheelsets and tires of 2.6", 2.8" and 3.0" in mid fat and fats in 4.8"......the mid fats are a good compromise, good mud and wet performance and traction and not too much of a penalty on dry ground.  Just went through 27 miles of deep crappy mud.....mid fats were our choice and worked well.

For some interesting bikes and wheel options look at Salsa bikes in addition to the "Big 3" Marty mentioned.  

gwponr
On 11/2/2018 at 5:23 AM, WI Outdoor Nut said:

Pink the only option?  Pulling up to the bar after a long hunt with the pink bike and the flower basket attached to the Yakima feels like I am opening up myself to some serious ribbing from my friends.  Good chance my "man card" would be pulled. 

would lavender make you feel more manly?