Electric Bike for upland hunting?

I was in the Netherlands a couple times in the last few years and would rent a bike in each town we visited.  All the shops guesstimated 50+% of their current sales were e-bikes and that number was going higher each year.  Yes, the Dutch use them for transportation vs. sport.  That said, the trend is there and the makers are filling a need.  I'd love to get one for my wife so she could add a few mph and additional miles on our rides.  Marital bliss is a good thing.  

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• martyg

• River19

• WI Outdoor Nut

• mccuha

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

At one time I thought getting a Yamaha TW200 fat tired motorcycle and then a cart to pull behind it with crate. 

I checked out the Rad Power website. Here is the e-bike for hauling dogs:    

I purchased a Rad Mini folding fat tire bike a few weeks ago and will give it a big thumbs up! I did not buy the bike to use in a self powered mode, I have motorcycles if I want to ride that way. I us

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Dave Medema said:

I was in the Netherlands a couple times in the last few years and would rent a bike in each town we visited.  All the shops guesstimated 50+% of their current sales were e-bikes and that number was going higher each year.  Yes, the Dutch use them for transportation vs. sport.  That said, the trend is there and the makers are filling a need.  I'd love to get one for my wife so she could add a few mph and additional miles on our rides.  Marital bliss is a good thing.  

Its a super popular solution. However it might bring her more than a few mph. 🙂

8 hours ago, SARGENT said:

I think an e fatbike would be a good way to get down two track/singletrack to a deer stand but I'm not sold on having the dog run beside it as an option. 

Marty, I am surprised that there is such tolerance there for ebikes as the MTB community seem to really hate having ebikes on the trails here in the midwest.  On the bike trails there seems to be a lot more tolerance and has become an accepted form of transport on the bike paths that don't allow any other motors.  I'm cool with both because my outlook or ideology is pretty simple.  If people are outdoors having fun and being safe its all good.  

IME the individuals who are truly great at what they do have a humility about them. Even the best athletes here realize that at some point an E-bike might help them continue to enjoy the sport. And Durango has some of the best cyclists in the world living here.

On Thursday night we have a community gathering to celebrate the last season. Guys like Ned Overend and John Tomac will be there. If Bob Roll is in town he’ll likely be there. We’ll be recognizing the performances from the last year: win of the Cape Epic, sweeping the US nationals, Sweeping the US colliagiate nationals, sweeping the Colorado high school championships, etc....

if someone if feeling pretty good good about themselves they just need to spend some time on their road bike, doing intervals up the 1,000’ climb of Florida Rd. Howard Grotts will pass you, with authority, on his mtn bike. You will not have any chance of pacing him, and as he passes he will likely tell you what an awesome job you are doing.

There simply isn’t any posing here.

Frankly I'm glad that on the East Coast so far the majority of riders and trail managers are strongly against E-bikes. Given the tenuous nature of a lot of land access issues here I believe the longer E-Bikes stay out of the mix here the better.

Call me whatever you want "traditionalist", "closed minded" etc. I'm fine with that.

I did personally enjoy watching some douche nozzle on an E-bike who thought he was being all stealth with it pass me then get disqualified on mile 25 of a 27mile muddy slog/race around a mountain a couple weeks back.  I saw the advantage he had and I can see how some folks would/will find them appealing, just not me.

Back to the original post. I can see the advantage of being able to use an E bike getting to stands and getting to other covers without having to make a long walk to the next. But I hunt because I enjoy it and the benefit from putting boot leather on the ground as exercise. I hunt gated off places that get seldom hunted because people don't want to walk that far to hunt. Those areas would get pounded like all others if you could get to use the E bike to get to them. If it's your on property, who cares. Do what you want to do. Atleast with a regular bike that you can ride on closed roads you have to exert some energy to get off the beaten path. 

Now on a transit note. The E bikes are a great eco friendly way of getting around, especially for those who may have some physical limitations and riding a bike is to difficult.

WI Outdoor Nut
1 minute ago, mccuha said:

Back to the original post. I can see the advantage of being able to use an E bike getting to stands and getting to other covers without having to make a long walk to the next. But I hunt because I enjoy it and the benefit from putting boot leather on the ground as exercise. I hunt gated off places that get seldom hunted because people don't want to walk that far to hunt. Those areas would get pounded like all others if you could get to use the E bike to get to them. If it's your on property, who cares. Do what you want to do. Atleast with a regular bike that you can ride on closed roads you have to exert some energy to get off the beaten path. 

Now on a transit note. The E bikes are a great eco friendly way of getting around, especially for those who may have some physical limitations and riding a bike is to difficult.

Mccaha - I don't disagree with your perspective as the OP, but for me, it is more of maximizing my time in the woods.  With two young kids, a work schedule that dictates about 75% travel, when I am able to get away hunting, I want to hunt as many good covers as possible in my given time.  This place in particular I was thinking use of an ebike is about 1.25 miles back from the area to park the truck, each way.  I walk a ton and that does not bother me at all.  But wasting time in areas you know won't hold birds is what I am attempting to eliminate. 

13 minutes ago, WI Outdoor Nut said:

Mccaha - I don't disagree with your perspective as the OP, but for me, it is more of maximizing my time in the woods.  With two young kids, a work schedule that dictates about 75% travel, when I am able to get away hunting, I want to hunt as many good covers as possible in my given time.  This place in particular I was thinking use of an ebike is about 1.25 miles back from the area to park the truck, each way.  I walk a ton and that does not bother me at all.  But wasting time in areas you know won't hold birds is what I am attempting to eliminate. 

Hey if it works fro your situation and helps maximize times etc., it seems like a viable option.

Heck I'm thrown my fishing gear into a pack and hopped on my fat bike to get to a nice river spot and I don't see it much different than that except adding some "aid".

My harder E-Bike position is primarily about trail systems for mountain biking etc.  If allowed to get into the back country to hunt, hey why not.......if you don't, someone else surely will.

3 hours ago, WI Outdoor Nut said:

WI - just a thought thinking about ROI... 1.25 miles is not 10 or 20 miles. Maybe $5K for a bike, you'll need a hitch mount rack (or put in the back of the truck), and time to load / unload. You should be able to cover 3 miles in an hour on non-mountainous terrain when walking. Assuming that your cover would be like a 30 minute walk in. Bike - maybe 10 - 15. Would it be worth it, net / net after the purchase, loading / unloading?

Where the e-bike may serve great utility... If you have the option to bike commute to work. Even if that ride is 25 or 30 miles, if you have good routes the e-bike would be a very cool alternative to driving. If you had another targeted use for it I think you'd really enjoy it and get utility out of it. Exclusively for that 1.25 mile walk - probably not.

I use a Specialized Levo Turbo on FS roads that are closed for the season. The rides are usually in the 10 mile range, and  gain 3,000 - 4,000+ in altitude. The lakes that I fish are a 0.5 mile to 7 mile walk in after I ditch the bike. For the lakes that are deeper in it is an overnight and usually involves snowfields and an ice axe to get across a saddle. I train on those same roads, and regularly ride them on one of my pedal S-Works. I could ride a pedal bike for fishing, but if my goal is fishing and not training the e-bike is a blast.

Enjoy.

Good articles here:  https://www.bicycling.com/training/a23610389/how-e-bikes-affect-fitness/?fbclid=IwAR3mfPxcljOvNtw2RH7FlM1dTD4MrLY15WUAuAqvfzFaZR_yExGqaZX9oY8

4 hours ago, mccuha said:

Riding an e-bike is about the same metabolic expenditure as walking.

Like was just said. If it’s legal go ahead and do it. If you don’t someone else will.   I guess my point is more of a selfish point in if I found a place a long way off the beaten path accessed by foot and someone comes strolling up on an e bike that would piss me off even if it were or is legal.  I understand your point of time savings and can relate   I used to have young kids and very little time. 

1 minute ago, mccuha said:

Like was just said. If it’s legal go ahead and do it. If you don’t someone else will.   I guess my point is more of a selfish point in if I found a place a long way off the beaten path accessed by foot and someone comes strolling up on an e bike that would piss me off even if it were or is legal.  I understand your point of time savings and can relate   I used to have young kids and very little time. 

Out here you are not "competing" against others on e-bkes but packers. And a half dozen horses will trash a trail more in one trip than a season of mtn bikers.

Yesterday's hike / run covering 10 miles and 3,400" should have been 3+ hours. It was 5+ hours because horses and cattle destroyed a trail.

Off the beaten path for us usually means terrain too steep and rocky for horses, and too far back for people to casually walk to. I have this one lake... Sits in a cirque, gets little sun so until July getting to it means ice axe / crampons.  No place to camp around it because the terrain is too steep. Big, dumb cutties and quartz crystals the size of a fist all over the place. Zero footprint. It is one of my lakes that I go into early, with the e-bike.

2 minutes ago, martyg said:

Out here you are not "competing" against others on e-bkes but packers. And a half dozen horses will trash a trail more in one trip than a season of mtn bikers.

Yesterday's hike / run covering 10 miles and 3,400" should have been 3+ hours. It was 5+ hours because horses and cattle destroyed a trail.

Off the beaten path for us usually means terrain too steep and rocky for horses, and too far back for people to casually walk to. I have this one lake... Sits in a cirque, gets little sun so until July getting to it means ice axe / crampons.  No place to camp around it because the terrain is too steep. Big, dumb cutties and quartz crystals the size of a fist all over the place. Zero footprint. It is one of my lakes that I go into early, with the e-bike.

I’ve seen what you talk about first hand in wy.  The cattle really mess up a trail.  Around here the land is mostly flat enough there is no need to ride a bike of any blocked road.  I’d love to see those cutties in person. Fished a place like that this summer

Just now, mccuha said:

I’ve seen what you talk about first hand in wy.  The cattle really mess up a trail.  Around here the land is mostly flat enough there is no need to ride a bike of any blocked road.  I’d love to see those cutties in person. Fished a place like that this summer

We have a warm bed and hot shower for you. Come on out.

Bikes, horses, cattle, dirt bikes etc......

Hell, I've got all sort of issues, I'm a mountain biker, we have a horse and I hike to hunt.....based on how those user groups "get along" in many areas I should just sit on the side of the trail and beat the $hit out of myself.

That being said, horses are hell on a trail..... honestly, 4 horses and 4 dirt bikes leave the trail is much the same condition, I would argue the horses worse as there are divots and crap everywhere.  Of course, it isn't practical for equestrians to carry out 40lbs of crap either......