Disrespectful Hunters

31693794768_6cb860b30c_o_d.jpg

A veneer 3ft white pine on our land with 12 spikes like this that I counted.  A valuable tree, not so valuable anymore. This is not the first.  They’re illegal on state land, and private without permission.  We don’t post the land or restrict access, but it’s always something.  Someone flashed deer last week, drove into a field.  Last year my new Bushnell game camera was stolen, and with rifle opening in two weeks our local traffic on a dead end dirt rd with increase 10 fold.  Last year I watched someone scope a doe from their truck, 80yds from where I stood in my living room.  For the record I love deer hunting, but sometimes I’m ashamed to call myself a hunter.  

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SelbyLowndes

• BBlizzard18

• bobman

• Brad Eden

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As a retired Game Warden and a long time hunter, I have always sharply defined the terms "hunter" and "poacher" as two entirely different beings, something most media outlets fail to do to push their

I have caught this trespasser/poacher on my trail cams the last 3 nights.  I've started packing my .44 whenever I'm out with the dog!

Interesting and timely subject. The privatization of hunting and fishing in this country by lease or ownership has really picked up steam in recent years. Semantics aside I have to agree with Bob

Posted Images

Its a shame.  I hope you consider posting "hunting by permission only" before you flat out shut things down.  I always imagined that would solve most issues, but not being a landowner I don't have any experience.

If I was a land owner I'd see little motivation not to post it.  I hate seeing all the trash and pot grows in the woods.

There's a good chance the climbing spikes are the result of ignorance rather than disrespect.  For those of us without land it might be hard to understand what it means to the owners.  Not everyone looks at a tree and recognizes the value; Its just a tree and there's a bunch of them right?

A call to the warden service might help to.  Just seeing their truck around town could quiet things down.

Those arent spikes but are screw in steps for accessing a treestand. They are shaped like a Z sorta and that piece is what stays outside tree to step on. Most of the time they are unscrewed and removed, when no longer using a hang on stand or a self built one. but apparently these weren't and the tree grew around them.  It took a while lot of years for that to happen. Not that that necessarally helps the tree any, but that was from the past not present.

BTW and this IS NOT DIRECTED at the original poster. But I will make a Mod warning. Beating the living crap out of deer hunting and deer hunters is an annual festival here on UJ. Once it starts it's a free for all disgruntled bird hunters. I'm an earnest Upland bird hunter but also avid bow and rifle Whitetail hunter as well as are many other Members. Certainly deer hunting brings its share of bile, but I'm not dealing with or managing an egregious amount of bashing.

I'd say you have no shame in calling yourself a deer hunter. Those fellas doing that stuff aren't hunters. They're  wanna be heroes, poachers, trespassers, lawbreakers, and otherwise A-Holes.

I apologize about that, but I get all riled up when I hear that comparison. Same thing with trapping. Someone makes the comment "A trapper set an illegal trap in an illegal way on ground they had no right to be on." They aren't a trapper, they're a dickhead, and a possible criminal.

Oh yeah, screw in steps would be a better way to describe them.  I guess spikes would be the strap on things used to climb trees.  I use the screw in steps in certain situations, and understand their value.  Funny though, most guys around here call them spikes.  

Post your property...first step....responsible deer hunters will still inquire, ime.

As with my pond, I used to let anyone fish, which worked for awhile, then...not so much.

Bad actions though are indicative of more than being labeled as a hunter, of whatever game....bad actions are indicative of bad actors.

I have always let the boys who farm my place hunt....deer, turkey, whatever but I did hang a purple tire a few years ago as a hoot...a move which confounded Ohio folks. I think Ohio is now considering the purple paint option. 😁

What is interesting, is how my permission slips have changed...used to be, I would have the big groups of, maybe, 20 folks...kids, wives, gramps and grannies...now, the communal hunt is gone and it is down to the more professional TV manner of deer hunting.

Also interestingly, and as the first rut is now ongoing here....we had a road poacher booming yesterday at a still light 5PM.

I suspect it was some kids after school and in talking to a fella, there has been a surge of the activity over the last two weeks hereabouts.

In 38 years or so, I can count on one hand the times the fields have been shot from the road but, it happens, posted or not, and always will.

Lookey-loos keen and out after deer sightings are a tradition.

I can't fault deer hunters for this noted level of shooting or poaching.....for other more legal activites, yes....just not the illegal stuff.

That step does look like it has been in place for a spell.

Good luck.

IMG_0890.JPG

Understood.  Here is a similar steel step. That tree has really grown around those in your tree.

DONT POST YOUR PROPERTY.

stripersonfly

I like the idea of  'Hunting by Permission Only' but do not know if that would be an OK option. 

It is just too bad when a hunter, regardless of animal being pursued, abuses the privilege of hunting on private land.  There are fewer and fewer people sympathetic to hunting, and willing to allow hunters onto their property.  More and more land is being posted as No Hunting.   When you see something like this you begin to understand

6 minutes ago, NCgrouse said:

I'd say you have no shame in calling yourself a deer hunter. Those fellas doing that stuff aren't hunters. They're  wanna be heroes, poachers, trespassers, lawbreakers, and otherwise A-Holes.

I apologize about that, but I get all riled up when I hear that comparison. Same thing with trapping. Someone makes the comment "A trapper set an illegal trap in an illegal way on ground they had no right to be on." They aren't a trapper, they're a dickhead, and a possible criminal.

I do agree.  However, I believe to the non hunting community we often get grouped together.  When this happens in a conversation I try and use it as an opportunity to educate.  I don’t shy away from calling myself a deer hunter.  The comment in the original post is me using this as an outlet for some frustration....I kinda want my camera back though. 

In Maine where land is 95% privately owned...(not sure about VT) hunters of any critter live and die by the legal access to unposted property law. Not all of us can afford our private 100's of acres private preserve. Thats why I cringe when I see "Post It" being bantered about. The day Maine becomes a leased land state and access to private property ends is the day I pack up and drive away into the sunset. If the problems are egregious, I agree that Hunting by Permission Only signs may be an alternative.

I had three huge Pines removed last winter. Huge logs that were scanned at the lumber yard and came up with traces of metal so they wouldn't cut them. It can take a penny nail or an embedded screw to have logs rejected. 

6 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

I had three huge Pines removed last winter. Huge logs that were scanned at the lumber yard and came up with traces of metal so they wouldn't cut them. It can take a penny nail or an embedded screw to have logs rejected. 

Yes.  Most places will not take trees simply for being too close to a dwelling.  I was scouting some trees to have hauled to the mill for a shop/garage build in the next couple years.  Wondering if I can scan them before having them hauled...save some dough.