Disrespectful Hunters

Posting of once open to hunting acerage in Ohio has boomed and the reason is deer hunting....on Private or Corporate.

Public land, and Ohio has comparably little beyond Federal, is often abused by it's small physical limits and the large numbers of folks wanting big Ohio deer. 

I do dislike seeing land posted and that is why I resisted for so long....it shuts down recruitment....here....clearly.

However, IF the OP is actually having negative issues then posting his land is a sound first step toward loss of value or danger from shooting ie poaching.

There can be ways other than land locked tightly up.....as with Leasing, being creative is possible with access.

Each area will have it's own routes to being creative.

Whether folks wish to unselfishly consider a middle ground is the real question.

imho

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SelbyLowndes

• BBlizzard18

• bobman

• Brad Eden

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As a retired Game Warden and a long time hunter, I have always sharply defined the terms "hunter" and "poacher" as two entirely different beings, something most media outlets fail to do to push their

I have caught this trespasser/poacher on my trail cams the last 3 nights.  I've started packing my .44 whenever I'm out with the dog!

Interesting and timely subject. The privatization of hunting and fishing in this country by lease or ownership has really picked up steam in recent years. Semantics aside I have to agree with Bob

Posted Images

Irishwhistler

As a retired Game Warden and a long time hunter, I have always sharply defined the terms "hunter" and "poacher" as two entirely different beings, something most media outlets fail to do to push their own "anti" agenda.  Given your situation, it seems a call to VT Fish and Wildlife Wardens would be in order.   No "hunter" should ever hang his or her head in shame, as they are an integral partner in conservation.  I always make a point of voting in hunting attire to make a statement that hunters and gun owners are also voters.  To those that have the mindset that doing so is being a "rat", NOT SO.  It is fulfilling your ethical obligation as a true sportsman in being a steward of our natural resources.  Bird hunters or deer hunters, we are all consumers of the natural resources we pursue and in that regard I believe  we have a moral obligation of respect  for the management and conservation of those resources.  Likewise, we have a duty to the landowners that grant us access to treat them and their property with the highest degree of respect.  

A productive and safe hunting season to all,

Mike 🍀🇮🇪🇺🇸

Yup---mill equipment is mighty expensive as well as down time.

I had a mill owner once tell me they won't take yard trees at all and the arborists and tree takers knew this well...in NH.

The same risk exists for old growth stuff that may have swallowed a barbed wire or cable or wagon wheel, but the math isn't quite the same.

I have a Garret "Pin Pointer" metal detector wand that I use to scan birds for shot and reclaimed wood before planing/resewing.  If its saved a couple saw blades and some dental work then it's paid for itself.

2 minutes ago, MAArcher said:

I have a Garret "Pin Pointer" metal detector wand that I use to scan birds for shot and reclaimed wood before planing/resewing.  If its saved a couple saw blades and some dental work then it's paid for itself.

Nice. Thanks for the recommendation.  I’m going to look at those.  

1 hour ago, MAArcher said:

A call to the warden service might help to.  Just seeing their truck around town could quiet things down.

We’ve lived here for around 6 years and I’ve never seen a warden or had my license checked in town.  Maybe we’re just in an area that gets passed by, or possibly they’re understaffed.  I’m sure they’re very busy this time of year.  If I see anymore questionable behavior I may give them a call.  

19 minutes ago, MAArcher said:

Yup--we have two of them. They help with many things.

🙂

Along with finding old King George coins and the like.

Many times things left behind like steps and stands were stolen from other hunters by poachers/pinheads.  If it's to chancy to stay or come back without being detected then these things are left behind.  No money spent and and no money lost by the P/P's.

This happened to my son. Had his Lone Wolf stand stolen out of a tree that was on private property. Had it cabled on and locked and someone cut the cable.  The next year he found a strangers stand on the same property and called the Sheriff to come out and look for possible trespass violations.  They found a drivers license number engraved on the stand and when run found out that stand was stole from a farm a few miles away months before. My son never did get his stand back but the owner of the stand found by my son was very grateful and figured his stand was gone for good.

We have the purple paint law here too but most people, especially if it's dark just don't see it. Maybe they should make the color neon green instead? 

Virgil

It’s a very defeated feeling when something is stolen.  I was fishing with a friend on the South Platte in CO a couple years ago, we left the truck for ten minutes to look at the river, came back to our fly-rods and a net gone....talk about a kick to the shorts.  Lesson learned I guess. 

Not suggesting this is the case in this instance...In Maine, a lot of cameras and treestands and ground blinds are sabotaged and stolen by non-hunters (or anti-hunters) (bird hunters?) who don't want deer hunters or deer hunting going on around them or on "their" walking trails. This happens a lot in urban areas where there are early bow hunting seasons and in urban areas that allow Firearms hunting. I know a lot of bowhunters who experience this when they hunt the Expanded/Management Archery season which is primarily in suburban deer problem areas. That's different than a landowner removing these things because he or she hadn't granted permission. To be clear, in Maine you can legally access unposted private land to hunt or whatever, but by law NEED written permission from the landowner to place trail cameras, treestands or ground blinds, and those always have to have Name and contact number attached. And I'd have to check but I think it's illegal to insert any metal object like a treestep into a tree on private property. Certainly a lot of this thievery and damage is done by other hunters who are criminals and territorial. And a lot of SD cards are removed from cameras because a person got caught in front of a trail camera and wants to take any evidence. Same goes for stealing cameras to remove evidence of trespass etc. I've been very fortunate. I've only had one ladder stand stolen close to 30 years ago, otherwise all my stands and trail cameras have been unmolested. 

Samuel Hoggson

We post about half the acreage.  Within is the area I sit, along with other family and/or youth.  Many reasons.  Sick of having people walk in on kids given limited time they have.  Sick of finding carcasses evidencing lousy skill and/or insufficient knowledge.  Latter includes some ill-considered ammo choices.  Theft of permitted stands/chairs. 

And disrespect, yes.  Last year's grand prize winner caught my attention while I was letting the chickens out for usual couple hours at day's end.  Early Dec, me shirtless in my boxers (cuz was going to take just a couple minutes).  Parks vehicle in my alfalfa, gets out with smoke-pole, and commences walking past posted signs.  Had to have seen me.  So walk over and he's looking all why am I bothering him. Then decides best defense is to accuse me of poor sign-posting.  Situation was so absurd I literally laughed at him.  Told him to take a hike and, BTW, never come back.  Ever.  Have yet to call wardens on anyone, just give them a piece of my mind.  But that was close.  Maybe if I hadn't seen the humor. 

Other half of acreage is permission-only.  Same reasons, but I choose who I think will act responsibly.  Have been wrong about that, for sure.  Gives me another pair of eyes.

Do not support reverse posting laws, but what would make me pack up is someone telling me I cannot post my lands.  Dad said:  ownership without control is nothing.   

I post every inch of my land; and lease the deer rights out to  hunting clubs.  The clubs pay enough that they are happy to take over the chore of policing the would-be trespassers off the land.  I also entered into an enhanced enforcement agreement with the state DNR which provides for extra attention in return for my guarantee to cooperate with prosecutions.

When I first started accumulating hunting land I felt bad about excluding the public.  No more, the freeloaders can stay home or enjoy each other's company on Georgia's ample public hunting accommodations!...SelbyLowndes  

2 hours ago, BBlizzard18 said:

We’ve lived here for around 6 years and I’ve never seen a warden or had my license checked in town.  Maybe we’re just in an area that gets passed by, or possibly they’re understaffed.  I’m sure they’re very busy this time of year.  If I see anymore questionable behavior I may give them a call.  

I'm guessing those steps have been in there at least 12-15 years. So before you were there.  I have a tree stand in my big pine in the back yard for practice shooting and the tree started consuming the chain within two years of me hanging it.  Now after 12 years the chain is part of the tree, couldn't tell it was ever there.  

22 minutes ago, C.J.L. said:

I'm guessing those steps have been in there at least 12-15 years. So before you were there.  I have a tree stand in my big pine in the back yard for practice shooting and the tree started consuming the chain within two years of me hanging it.  Now after 12 years the chain is part of the tree, couldn't tell it was ever there.  

Oh yeah, I agree.  If I remember correctly the average for Eastern White Pine is 12” is 50 years.  Of course there are many variables.  Just an average.  So, maybe 4-5” is covering the step, 4” would be around 16 years.  Your estimate of 12-15 I’d say is pretty close.  I have found these in several trees in various ages of engulfment.  

Speaking of Maine and legal access to unposted property. I've never had enough land to warrant posting it. 8 acres at last place. 9.5 here and just 2 at my camp. Luckily I am surrounded by huntable private land here and at camp. So I can't put myself solidly in anyone else boots who owns hunks of land. And, I don't begrudge people from getting fed up with trespassers and/or deer hunters ruining it for everybody else, and posting their land. They have every right to do so. The word "lease" sends shivers down my spine. Luckily the deer hunting up here generally sucks compared to many other states so that practice hasn't taken hold. (You hunt for deer here, not shop, it is hard hunting for the most part) I've enjoyed over 30 years of free roaming off pavement to my hearts content thanks to access to privately owned land. It's quite wonderful. Although a lot of that land has been cut off and/or posted now. I just got back from a quick bird hunt with Cash. We hunted a nice small cover of unposted private property. A piece I've been hunting for all of those 31 years. Moved some Woodcock, shot like crap. And unfortunately Cash tore a chunk out of a pad on a front foot. Not bleeding like heck but enough that he is favoring it and licking it. So good thing the Firearm deer season starts tomorrow, and I'll be on a stand at sun up on private land.... so Ill give him some time to heal before hitting some more bird covers in November on unposted private property. (And a few spots that are posted but I've gotten permission.)