Disrespectful Hunters

I would post the land immediately if not sooner!  3 or 4 years ago, I found 5 poached deer on my place.  Slobs didn't even bother cutting out the backstraps.  Posted the place and haven't had a problem since.  And in Oregon, land doesn't have to be posted before a person can be cited for trespassing.  It is up to the hunter/hiker to know whether or not he/she can legally access the land.  I'm glad it is that way -- too many slobs out there.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SelbyLowndes

• BBlizzard18

• bobman

• Brad Eden

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As a retired Game Warden and a long time hunter, I have always sharply defined the terms "hunter" and "poacher" as two entirely different beings, something most media outlets fail to do to push their

I have caught this trespasser/poacher on my trail cams the last 3 nights.  I've started packing my .44 whenever I'm out with the dog!

Interesting and timely subject. The privatization of hunting and fishing in this country by lease or ownership has really picked up steam in recent years. Semantics aside I have to agree with Bob

Posted Images

I have caught this trespasser/poacher on my trail cams the last 3 nights.  I've started packing my .44 whenever I'm out with the dog!

IMG_0232.JPG

20 minutes ago, Starsky said:

IMG_0232.JPG

I think I remember hearing about one taking down a biker this year out that way. Yikes.  

I agree with Brad, and enjoy the New England tradition of having open private lands. That said, I can see the frustration that it can cause land owners, too. Someday I will hopefully own a plot of my own land, and while I don’t intend to post it, I will probably go the permission only route only so I know who is using my land, and how many people are using it. If I’m going to invest in land to hunt deer on I certainly don’t want to over crowded, but I do want a few extra set of eye balls looking out for it. 

I’ll add this too. Deer season brings frustration. Just remember, there are deer hunters, and then there are people who just hunt deer. There is a difference. 

10 minutes ago, BBlizzard18 said:

I think I remember hearing about one taking down a biker this year out that way. Yikes.  

The biker that was killed by the lion was in Washington state. A lady hiker was killed by a lion on Mt. Hood in Oregon just a couple of months ago.  Just came out in the paper that the cat broke her neck.  Haven't been able to use dogs for cat hunting in Oregon for over 20 years and population has exploded.

I am wondering if this shouldn't be moved to the registered members forum.  I agree that there are slob hunters but there are slobs in most every other pursuit as well.  Hard to change that but why advertise to outsiders that we have weak brothers and sisters in our midst.  There is enough anti-hunting invective without supplying more fuel for the fire. 

Perk

I don’t have a problem with a landowner posting their property however I think leasing is just a form of market hunting and has destroyed new hunter recruitment.

The game is owned by the public not the landowner and should not be for sale to the highest bidder.

Leasing hunting rights should be illegal 

3 minutes ago, bobman said:

I don’t have a problem with a landowner posting their property however I think leasing is just a form of market hunting and has destroyed new hunter recruitment.

The game is owned by the public not the landowner and should not be for sale to the highest bidder.

Leasing hunting rights should be illegal 

Bobman, I hate to disagree with you but I take the notion of ownership in a different light from you.  Taking your reasoning to another step, the sun and the water are gifts to all men from the Almighty.  Crops would never grow without those gifts.  In your reasoning farmers should have no right to sell the crops they grow, but the fruits of their labor on their land should be available for all to enjoy...SelbyLowndes

4 minutes ago, SelbyLowndes said:

Bobman, I hate to disagree with you but I take the notion of ownership in a different light from you.  Taking your reasoning to another step, the sun and the water are gifts to all men from the Almighty.  Crops would never grow without those gifts.  In your reasoning farmers should have no right to sell the crops they grow, but the fruits of their labor on their land should be available for all to enjoy...SelbyLowndes

But there is a certain amount of human effort required to 'improve' the land and bring forth 'potential'.

I often think of things in terms of 'potential'....this fits.

Selby,

a hallmark of American game management and the LAW says the game animals are the publics. If you doubt that go shoot a deer on your property out of season in front of a warden and see how that works out.

Its your land post it all you want I am a firm believer your land is your property just don’t sell the game which is the public’s property.

Leasing hunting rights is clearly a form of market hunting and should be illegal. No one would pay you to trespass without that publicly owned game animal sale. 

Bobman, I respect your opinion, but disagree with it.  I rent the right to enter upon my land to hunt public game (in strict accord with game laws) which I manage on my land to encourage.  I sometimes rent a field to a farmer to grow a crop or harvest hay from.  The LAW says its my land and my right to do so...SelbyLowndes

The right to trespass would not bring a dime without the real fact that leasing hunting rights is in fact selling a publicly owned game animal. 

Im sure you a a good person and I know pointing out this reality angers land owners but the deer on your property are not your property. They are not livestock to be bought sold or bred.

As I said I am a big believer in private property rights post it and allow friends to hunt it if you want but when money changes hands it becomes a sale and is a form of market hunting. 

Leasing hunting for publicly owned game animals reduces hunting to an elite pastime where the highest bidders lock out the young kids everyone professes to want to join our ranks.

Thats largely why young people are not entering the hunting pastime and eventually it will also doom gun ownership to a European model as the hunting community size declines.

it’s already happened the days a kid could wander around his neighbors property in Georgia has disappeared in the last 30 years here in Georgia.

The leasing model is responsible for this decline I fled texas 35 years ago and unfortunately it has spread nationwide.

Regional, like most issues. Maine and much of New England.... My outdoor life and enjoyment has always depended on the kindness and generosity of strangers...allowing me access to their property under Maine law and tradition whether they know it or not. And in no small way Upland Journal was spawned via that reality. I've never abused that privilege, and resent others that do and cause property to be Posted. The land I hunt isn't farmland or managed per say, most of it is owned by abscentee land owners in state and out. They often have it cut off periodically for wood to pay their town taxes and see little other value in it, because outside of the rough shooting wild bird-grouse and Woodcock hunter, and intrepid deer hunter it's isn't worth much. Great arrangement. Selectively logged acreage becomes good bird cover and deer woods. 

A farmer has a right, imo, to lease his land as he sees fit....the costs which a farmer/landowner may encounter go well beyond crop.

My problem with the equation is the farmer is always the one who gets the boot to a short rib despite the fact that the hunter is the driver of the decision....less often, the landowner.

Leasing deer hunting, in most cases today, results from a taste by the hunter for controlling access, for developing a hunting field to hold deer for evaluation/shooting and, often, offers an imagined opportunity to improve the herd or the G2s of a particular target.

The trade-offs of increased nest predators, et al is simply ignored or a token attempt to affect is taken pre or post season...not to mention snares to get dem deer-killing coyotes....a true "oh, well" moment.

The issue of leasing in the Apps and Apps-like areas today did not stem from the farmer...it stemmed from the deer hunter fixation on becoming a Lee or a Tiff.

The selling of a public animal, to me, is not the issue and should not be the focus....opens up all sorts of what-ifs from deer collisions onward.

imho

The leasing model, as originated in TX, for example, simply does not transfer well to other areas of the country with non-TX like realities. For too many tho, it transfers well enough for their own singular purposes...that "I got mine!"....is the problem.

The true sad state is when Corporate land, through take-overs and TIGs and all the rest enable the leasing and locking up of land once open to the Public....often from historical agreements involving original tax breaks tied to an allowed public access.

30 years ago, folks said it would never happen...it did.

Hunters, hunting organizations and folks who care about critters did not just drop the ball...they all kicked it down a very deep and dark well.

States blessed with CF Acts or the like are indeed steps ahead...as they are with a multitude of forest land managed and so giving an unintended offshoot of helping critters, some game and some not....which is another blessing.

Too many today equate their own blessings or curses as being examples that define.....TX does not, Maine does not, Minnesota does not and Ohio does not define.

It would be nice to see a bit less selfishness afield, a bit less "I got mine" and a bit more understanding that negative trade-offs happen as no hunter or their actions exists in a vacuum.

imho X2

The  jump from public game ownership to a claim to the right of possession is not logical, nor is it in keeping with universally accepted notion (and law) of property rights. ..SelbyLowndes