Disrespectful Hunters

The state access systems can be funded with tax credits so they could have a competitive advantage over leasing.  Problem is that means hunters and non-hunters and animal rights fans all pay the landowner so you can hunt.  Try to pass that!...SelbyLowndes

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SelbyLowndes

• BBlizzard18

• bobman

• Brad Eden

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As a retired Game Warden and a long time hunter, I have always sharply defined the terms "hunter" and "poacher" as two entirely different beings, something most media outlets fail to do to push their

I have caught this trespasser/poacher on my trail cams the last 3 nights.  I've started packing my .44 whenever I'm out with the dog!

Interesting and timely subject. The privatization of hunting and fishing in this country by lease or ownership has really picked up steam in recent years. Semantics aside I have to agree with Bob

Posted Images

Living in RI I also hunt MA a lot but get to Texas a couple times a year where we have family friends with primo deer/hog hunting properties. 

No one would call MA hunter friendly but it offers lots of free access to hunters where Texas, an extremely hunter friendly state, offers nearly none.

Strange huh.

This is the natural progression of overpopulation.  The poor loose access to the dwindling resource.   

• 2 weeks later...

44886156805_b9e3f73017_o_d.jpg

44886156665_c2c4e7b75d_o_d.jpg

I went to throw my climber out in the woods for rifle opener tomorrow and found another stand on our land with ladder steps and 6 screw ins.  Tag was left right on.  I took the stand down and left it at the base with a note.  I couldn’t get 5 of the 6 steps out. Another tree I can’t use.  I don’t understand using straight pines for stands, I always avoided due to pitch and the lack of cover.  With it being legal to access private land without landowners permission I don’t know how I can at least have a conversation with people before these mistakes are made.  Though, I guess if people are hanging illegal stands, I doubt a sign would slow them down.  Excited for the opener tomorrow though, a tradition I never miss.  

Cheers. 

On 11/9/2018 at 1:06 PM, BBlizzard18 said:

found another stand on our land

When you said "our land" do you mean private property? If so whoever hung that stand was breaking the law:

§ 4713. Tree stands; ground blinds

(a) No person shall build, erect, maintain, use, or occupy a permanent or portable tree stand or ground blind for any purpose on any private land in Vermont without landowner permission.

(b) A person building, erecting, or maintaining a tree stand or ground blind shall permanently mark the stand or blind with the owner's name and address. Marking shall be legible and placed in a manner that enables a person to read it conveniently and easily. This subsection shall not apply to a landowner building, erecting, or maintaining a tree stand or ground blind on his or her own land. (Added 1997, No. 99 (Adj. Sess.), § 8; amended 1999, No. 30, § 5.)

Seems like you would have been within your rights to deliver that gear to your local warden. 

On 10/30/2018 at 10:12 AM, Brad Eden said:

He would tell me about all the pheasants they were hearing and were seeing on the lease, and I'd ask them if anyone hunted them. He adamantly said NO WAY, that would disturb the deer and the deer hunting. So in this case the deer hunter gets the last word.

A family friend has a deer hunting property in Texas that has tons a quail. I gather it is a relativel recent "bloom" caused by more than normal rain fall, and they just don't have a bird hunting tradition.  I'm spending the month of January in Texas, but from the number of rattlesnakes they kill on the property I'm not inclined to ask for permission to run my dog.

Good luck on the VT opener. 

How long have you owned the land? How many Acres? Just curious. (Long Topic, not sure if that's been mentioned) 

It's too bad those tree steps have been in those trees so long. When not imbedded like that they can be backed out reasonably easily as you know. Not sure how bad it would damage tree, but you could possibly break away the bark around those metal screw in steps and using a hammer or mallet and get them started counter clockwise and remove them. But, modern log scanners pick up even traces of metal left behind rendering the trees ineligible for milling at a big operation. 

Most state outlaw inserting metal objects into trees without landowner permission these days. Maine does. That wasn't always the case, but regardless some people don't follow those laws. I don't know anyone who uses those metal screw in steps these days with all the new strap on steps and tree ladders available. That doesn't solve your problem of hunters setting stands without permission.

We’ve been here for around  6 years, with a couple years away for work/school.  The land has been in my wife’s family since the 50’s.  With little interest from other family, and the possibility of the land being sold, we decided it would be a better place to raise a family compared to the suburbia we were in before.  The 1810 farmhouse has been the biggest challenge!  

I’ve been combining bird hunting/deer scouting/hunting with timber cruising for a couple projects, so I’ve been looking up a lot more. Which, is likely why I’m seeing these stands.  Most are from before our time.  It makes me wonder what the lost annual revenue is for rejected trees due treestands.   

In other news, my Ruger .308 misfired last night with a decent buck in my scope at ~100 yards.  First time that gun has done that, bad timing.  I ejected the shell, and got the scope on him again, squeezed...clean miss.  I rushed the shot after the misfire.  Legal light was until 5:09, it was 5:04 when he showed up.  Ugh, live and learn.  A rare opportunity missed for these parts.  

9 hours ago, BBlizzard18 said:

my Ruger .308 misfired last night

I bought an m77 in 1970 that had that problem pretty much out of the box that had to be returned for repair

A couple of Veterans Day bucks taken today off my middle GA farm.  The first is a monster taken this afternoon by one of our hunting club members from Atlanta:

11-11-2018_zps1pmvsvfg.jpg

This one walked out on my son John this morning. 

John%2011-11-2018_zpstdhyqdia.jpg

25 minutes ago, SelbyLowndes said:

A couple of Veterans Day bucks taken today off my middle GA farm.  The first is a monster taken this afternoon by one of our hunting club members from Atlanta:

11-11-2018_zps1pmvsvfg.jpg

This one walked out on my son John this morning. 

John%2011-11-2018_zpstdhyqdia.jpg

Nice bucks.  Ga has a lot of really good deer. I  think yalls deer originally came from up north ( possibly Wisconsin). For whatever reason the state of sc decided to repopulate or deer herd with SC swamp bucks that don’t get near as large