REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... √ó
gunsrus

NFL

john mcg
3 minutes ago, oak stob said:

The Patriots make football look like NASCAR in their heyday.....winning is not everything, unless you need it to be.

Ha ha. Or if the whole point is the attempt to win.

ūüėČ

jeff88
11 minutes ago, Clueless1 said:

It's more fun to have someone to hate.  The Patriots do the trick, even more fun than hating the Cowboys, Raiders or Oilers growing up.  The Pats actually beat the Steelers when the Steelers aren't beating themselves. 

My biggest NFL football nightmare would be a Cowboys/Pats SB.  That means one of them would win...

john mcg

Brees/Brady

Seems more fitting considering their respective accomplishments.

dogrunner
1 hour ago, Brad Eden said:

I heard murmurings that the league was considering eliminating kickoffs and  returns. They instituted the new 25 yard touchback so fewer players would get hurt on returns with concussions mostly. There are so many roughing the passer restrictions now I'm surprised any QB's get sacked any more. I doubt the loss of the kick off and return will happen but at some point the NFL will become flag football if this keeps up.

In the meantime Im trying like hell not to get sucked into the Patriots frenzy. I've been a much happier person since I didn't give a chit. (But Gronk just had a great game even though not involved in the offense....he was blocking like a fullback and was critical for a lot of first downs and yardage...dang I'm getting sucked in.)

Gronks days are numbered, he runs like he's in a swamp wearing snowshoes. 

oak stob
1 minute ago, john mcg said:

Ha ha. Or if the whole point is the attempt to win.

ūüėČ

True....if the whole point of pheasant hunting is to grease up a skillit.

john mcg
5 minutes ago, oak stob said:

True....if the whole point of pheasant hunting is to grease up a skillit.

Football on an Upland forum will do that.

ūüôā

stripersonfly
10 minutes ago, john mcg said:

Brees/Brady

Seems more fitting considering their respective accomplishments.

Big Pats fan here.  I would like to see this match up as well.

john mcg
2 minutes ago, stripersonfly said:

Big Pats fan here.  I would like to see this match up as well.

Yup---a QB ought to behave like a QB and not a running back.

gunsrus
38 minutes ago, dogrunner said:

I'll guarantee you he played his last game at Gillette yesterday . He's a smart man . He knows this game is going to destroy his body . He has more money than he needs and he will retire this year . 

kgb
39 minutes ago, dogrunner said:

Gronk is the death player of the Pats, seems when it's really important he stands up and makes it happen.  Brady and Belichek are critical of course, but it seems Gronk makes them complete.  

chilly460

God, I hate seeing the Patriots win.  Worst of all is it's Belichik vs Reid next week, a cold blooded assassin vs a known playoff choker....the Chiefs don't have a chance despite all the momentum and talent in the world.  

john mcg
32 minutes ago, chilly460 said:

God, I hate seeing the Patriots win.  Worst of all is it's Belichek vs Reid next week, a cold blooded assassin vs a known playoff choker....the Chiefs don't have a chance despite all the momentum and talent in the world.  

I hope you are right. We beat them once a few months ago, but both teams are different teams and anything can happen.

I wish that young upstart well--but not next week. My sensibilities won't allow assassination, but....

Millriver
18 hours ago, jeff88 said:

Then I invite you to join me this weekend in TX  to chase WC.  I will pick you up at the airport Friday evening.  You can use my Citori Lightening which is not too much different from your Browning, stay here where I will help you avoid the NFL.  You will also enjoy the weather.  This offer is like one I had many years ago from some fellow UJ-ers that I took them up on.  Since you are the UJ, this offer reciprocates.  We will hunt SAT in Sam Houston NF, SUN and MON in Davy Crockett.  You'll also carry a couple of rifled slugs for boar if I can remember to bring them.  Bring your dog if you want.

That won't work considering Brad is a true New England bird hunter. Hunting with his spaniel he'll have a limit of woodcock in 20 minutes and then will have to kick back with some cold Shiners, eating Jalape√Īo poppers, and watch the Pats beat up on the Chiefs.

Nice of you to make the offer though, and you're right, he'll enjoy the weather there.

jeff88
2 hours ago, Millriver said:

That won't work considering Brad is a true New England bird hunter. Hunting with his spaniel he'll have a limit of woodcock in 20 minutes and then will have to kick back with some cold Shiners, eating Jalape√Īo poppers, and watch the Pats beat up on the Chiefs.

Nice of you to make the offer though, and you're right, he'll enjoy the weather there.

Man, I would love to see one of those New England spaniels in the TX Pineywoods thickets.  Fastest limit on TX WC I've seen is my son, he's twice gotten his limit in less than hour.  Then he started working on mine.  20 minutes might be tough, this year's WC crop is the fastest, lowest flying and spookiest flight I've ever seen.  Seems like the Great Lakes UJ-ers have over-trained them, the survivors are just plain crazy.  But I'm just glad to be seeing them back in TX after the drought years.

Shiners can be had.  In my fridge right now is a local HOU brew called Karbach with their Love Street Kolsch sitting next to Yuenglings lagers.  Am thinking of lunch in Coldspring at a spot that has giant baked potatoes stuffed with bar-b-q brisket.  Just one more example of a TX depth charge.  

Once again have been listening to the sports pundits on espn and mad dog radio now blathering about how the pats aren't great on the road and blah, blah, blah.  As unhappy as I will be when they do win in KC, I will not be even slightly surprised.  They have a BRADY for the love of gawd.

Millriver

Gosh, you're making me want to come to Texas to hunt Woodcock! Those fast low fliers have not been that unusual this year, at least here in New England.

I get there are Patriots haters out there, however, you're correct, they've got Brady. All of a sudden the weather will play a huge part in Sunday's game, and quite frankly, he and Belichick have seen it all. I enjoy watching Mahomes play, and his time will come if he can stay healthy, but the edge goes to the Pats. Nobody will be better prepared than they will be.