gunsrus

NFL

quailguy
1 hour ago, salmontogue said:

I could not have said this better.  I am weary from watching a bunch of overpaid politically motivated crybabies who add little value to our world and suck the fun out of it at the same time.  If I want politics, I can watch the fake news, a group that wouldn't know reality if it was positioned immediately off the end of their collective noses.  How nice is it that dogs could care less about politics?  If the NFL failed I might hoist a libation.  Sad when there is pleasure in another"s failure.  I am not that kind of person but the NFL has pushed me in that direction and that is my failure.

Could not have said it better myself.

I still watch the Cowboys, if they are on the benighted PA cable TV world; they've played ball not politics.

Brad Eden

Keep politics off the Board. Or I will remove Posting and Messaging privileges. 

Plenty of reasons not to like the NFL. I have no interest because Im simply sick of the Brady/Belichick show.

Millriver

Politics are everywhere, including sports, but I still love the NFL, the Pats, and yes, Brady and Belichick. Football has become something very special in my house, it's family time.

When the kids were young, I molded ( some might say brainwashed) them into Pats and Sox fans, sitting and watching games together. Even as they grew older we would try to get together to watch "the game" on Sunday, to include some cold malt beverages and food. My daughter lives locally but works more than I do, and my son is away at school, so those opportunities to get together to watch the Pats win have become few and far between, but when the moon and the stars align and it happens, it's very special to me.

My birthday is Friday, and this weekend my son's coming home, my daughter will be over with her boyfriend, and the Pats are playing. We'll all be sitting in front of the television, eating, drinking, and cheering on Brady and Belichick. Couldn't ask for a better birthday gift, I can't wait!

Coalman

Football is for when the sun goes down or it is raining out.

Otherwise there are way to many things to do outside.

oak stob

The NFL still trails NASCAR but neither represent much of what they once were....in fact, NASCAR's decline has been steeper than a horse's face.

BlacknTan
1 hour ago, oak stob said:

The NFL still trails NASCAR but neither represent much of what they once were....in fact, NASCAR's decline has been steeper than a horse's face.

Yes, both entertainment industries... and all the baggage that comes with that...

paul frey

I didn't watch 1 minute of football all weekend or Monday night

Speaks

I certainly do not watch football all Sunday or spend time reading and learning stats. I will watch most Vikings games though and might watch Sunday or Monday night games if it is the Packers playing or its late in the season and the game will impact the Vikes getting into the playoffs. 

Next year though with a young bird dog I expect to miss quite a few day time games. I used to hunt in the morning at the cabin and then catch the noon game before heading home on Sundays but Dish shot the prices up and wont let me keep it on seasonally anymore so I shut that off. 

jeff88
On 11/7/2018 at 7:13 AM, Millriver said:

Politics are everywhere, including sports, but I still love the NFL,

Same here.  My secret to enjoying sports is to not take the players seriously.  As a former athlete I have been in many a locker room and on many a long bus ride where I wish I could have recorded some of the most stupid, inane, self-serving conversations you could ever hear.  And these were my friends.  Jocks have never been where one would go to find answers to the cultural, intellectual, moral or ethical questions in life - they live in a me, me, me world of self-aggrandizement and perpetual adolescence.

Still, I love to watch them play football at the highest level.  Are there exceptions to the above among players?  Definitely, but rare.  Are the NHL players far less self-absorbed than the NFL and NBA players - definitely!  OTOH, sports are the REAL reality TV shows.  

jeff88

No comments about last night?  Is this only the Pats show?  See above, Cam Newton is the poster child for that modern NFL-er description and did I ever like seeing him sacked and sacked and sacked!  Thought that was going to be a lot closer, had the chips, salsa and Yuenglings ready to go.  Yup, I know this is an anomaly and them Stillerz will come back to earth but that was a severe statement game on who they could be.  Too bad they have the toughest schedule for the 2nd half of the season among all teams.  

kgb
5 hours ago, jeff88 said:

As a former athlete I have been in many a locker room and on many a long bus ride where I wish I could have recorded some of the most stupid, inane, self-serving conversations you could ever hear.   - they live in a me, me, me world of self-aggrandizement and perpetual adolescence.

Are there exceptions to the above among players?  Definitely, but rare. 

Big question is, are you an exception?  😁

That game was a little too one-sided, and if Conner is out for a while it will be costly, too.  Decision time for Bell is here, too!

MN Tonester

what Black and Tan said

dogrunner
On 11/7/2018 at 8:28 AM, oak stob said:

You can only watch cars go around in the same oval for so long and then you get bored.  For me it is like 1 lap. 😀

Randy S

I watch football for what it is, entertainment. But I don't carry their baggage beyond the end of the game. As far as a combination of intelligence and humility, I find that they're rare in all professional fields. 

BlacknTan

There is still alot of real racing in NASCAR, just not in the GN arena, which is what appeals to the masses. NASCAR Modifieds is still real racing!