REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Thunder Bay

Garmin Alpha Collar Recharging Tip (learned the hard way)

Thunder Bay

Purchase an extra collar charging clip and dongle (the adapter thingy that allows multiple devices to be charged) - I think it totals ~$15 via Amazon and store it in your car with the vehicle power adapter.  Resist the temptation to use it indoors.

This way you have two independent charging stations - one based for your home/cabin traditional power and another stored in your vehicle for remote/unintended “accidents” (e.g., you forgot to make sure you turned off the collar during your last hunt, etc.).  I, unfortunately, just experienced this and this gear would have prevented loss of precious hunting time with you and you pooch.

Flush

Good Advice, along those same lines I would recommend getting a spare battery (or two) for your Alpha as well.

You can get aftermarket batteries and a separate stand-alone charger for the hand-held batteries. The charger is nice because you can be charging a battery in the vehicle while you are out hunting.

alpha batteries and charger

dogrunner

I charge mine every night, first thing i do when i bring my gear in, than its done before i go to bed.  I also have 2 batteries.