REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Dogwood

Years 2015-2017. Ford F 150 or Chevy Silverado?

rolawson
1 hour ago, gaberdeen said:

I am very happy with my 2014 Ram 1500. Got just about 23 mph on my recent Maine trip. 5.7 Hemi.

4x4 or 2x4? The Department has a bunch of 2014 to 2018 Rams that are 4x4 and can't come close to that fuel economy. Setting the cruise at 55mph you might get 18mpg.

gaberdeen

4x4. But this is driving in 2wd. Cruised at about 70 mph. Eco boost kicked in.

dogrunner
5 hours ago, WI Outdoor Nut said:

I also rent weekly due to my work travel, and when possible, rent trucks.  Below are my thoughts:

Ram - more low end power than the other trucks.  Feels almost like a 3/4 ton with ride and power.  Overall comfy controls.  I have seen well above 20 mpg on hwy and want to say it was around 24 mpg at 75mph.  Don't recall if I had a tailwind or not.  Bluetooth is easy to use. 

Chevy - Very comfy - almost car like ride.  I am not of fan of the 5.3 L.  It makes its power by high RPM and drives me nuts (just my opinion).  Fuel economy was very good as well. 

Ford - PIA Bluetooth.  Good ride.  10 speed is great.  I prefer the 3.5 L vs v8, but if not pulling, both are fine.  If above 5000#'s on a regular basis, the eco is really an amazing motor.  The AL body is very interesting living in a rust belt state. 

Dealing with a 2012 F150 right now that is rusting out, if you go the Chev or Ram route, makes sure you get the underbody treated, especially the rockers and 1/4 panels.  Their are holes taped up between the sandwiched metal panels.  The tape comes off over time and in my case, filled up with dirt from hunting.  Then was saturated with our salt brines, then rusted out. 

I never thought I would entertain a Ram, but overall impressed with the truck.  Personally, I won't buy a GM product with the 5.3 - just can't stand that motor.  Would consider a GM product with the 6.2.  But a lot of this is personal preference.  And fwiw, I am not brand loyal when it comes to trucks. 

Actually the Ram has the same HP as the Ford 5.0 and only 10 pounds more torque that you probably won't feel and it has way less torque than a 3.5 Eco. 

bobman

Ive checked. the gas mileage steady state at 73 mph between Atlanta and DALLAS texas multiple times and get 23-24 with the ram 5.7 ram

this is with a 700 lb pump cutaway in the bed

it feels much stronger than the ford or Chevy to me but they are all nice

the ford 5.0 and the Chevy 5.3 make power but they really spin some rpms to do it

Dogwood
1 hour ago, bobman said:

Ive checked. the gas mileage steady state at 73 mph between Atlanta and DALLAS texas multiple times and get 23-24 with the ram 5.7 ram

this is with a 700 lb pump cutaway in the bed

it feels much stronger than the ford or Chevy to me but they are all nice

the ford 5.0 and the Chevy 5.3 make power but they really spin some rpms to do it

Wow those are impressive mpgs!  5.3 hemi seems to be the most common power plant.  I have no interest in a diesel.

bobman

73 mph with the cruise control on I-20 it drops off the cylinders and goes into eco mode

and then if you need to pass someone it’s very fast

5.7 Hemi Ram 

mcgreg

Also starting to look at trucks in the 2015-17 yrs. No experience with any yet but am strongly thinking an alum body ford. Boy is Mi addicted to salt. Hate it for any owner who paid the money for a new truck and then ends up looking at wheel well and rocker rust through 6-7 yrs later.

settem

I don’t really understand the comments about how a 5.3 Chevy has to be reved up to make power. 

The torque curve on that motor peaks right at 3 to 4k?

The 5.3 is pretty much tried and true.  

I guess it comes down to...

Buy what makes you happy!

blanked

watch the commercial where the tool box falls off the truck side panel and puts a hole in the ford fiberglass bed.   that's a deal breaker to me

dogrunner
4 minutes ago, blanked said:

watch the commercial where the tool box falls off the truck side panel and puts a hole in the ford fiberglass bed.   that's a deal breaker to me

It’s not fiberglass, it’s aluminum.   

Dogwood
1 hour ago, blanked said:

Uh, as opposed to rusting out in wetter climates?

WI Outdoor Nut
On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 10:19 PM, settem said:

I don’t really understand the comments about how a 5.3 Chevy has to be reved up to make power. 

The torque curve on that motor peaks right at 3 to 4k?

The 5.3 is pretty much tried and true.  

I guess it comes down to...

Buy what makes you happy!

Setter - I agree - buy what makes you happy.  I am certainly not one to tell someone what to spend their money on.  But when asked for feedback, provide one's experiences. 

Having pulled many loads with the GM 5.3 powerplant in the last 15+ years, if you start to slow due to headwind, hill or very heavy load, it will drop down a gear or two and "really spin" to gain back that speed.  In comparison to the ecoboost, for the most part, the gear does not change, the turbo's just spin and feels much smoother.  Not to say the 5.3 GM is bad, and for most applications, has more than enough power, but to move loads down the road at HWY speeds, it drops gears, and increases RPM.  Pull 5-6000#'s with this motor and you will see what I mean.  If all you are hauling is a few dogs, I think it would be a great truck. 

blanked
2 hours ago, Dogwood said:

Uh, as opposed to rusting out in wetter climates?

Houston gets 60 inches rain a year.  No rusting 

River19

Let's be clear here, most if not all rust issues with vehicles comes from winter salt use and/or mud from dirt roads than actual water.  Hence everyone in the "north" searches for used cars from FL, GA, TX etc. provided they haven't been in a flood......

I think Ford and the Aluminum body is heading in an interesting direction, but the frames are still steel right?

Dogwood
28 minutes ago, blanked said:

28 minutes ago, blanked said:

Good point. Should have specified plus salt.