REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Dogwood

Years 2015-2017. Ford F 150 or Chevy Silverado?

WI Outdoor Nut
11 hours ago, settem said:

I get it now...

So a 5.3 Silverado would struggle to haul more than a few dogs, but that Ecoboost won’t even have to gear down with 6000lbs... 

I guess I’ve been on borrowed time with my 5.3 and the thousands of miles I’ve pulled cars, Jeeps, tractors, boats, or a usually very overloaded dump trailer. 

I guess I was pretty lucky to have ever made it out of Virginia the four times I hauled that slide-in camper, three dogs, and a months worth of gear to Montana. 

Just my opinion and that is all it is worth.  Like I said, having pulled with many 5.3's that I have either owned or used, I can't stand that constant downshifting and running at 4000rpm to make power.  If you are happy with your truck, great!  I will be doing a trip from WI to Kansas in a few week in a Chevy truck with the 5.3.  My buddies interior is more comfortable than mine and looking forward to the trip in his truck. 

I am not brand loyal, but really like the ecoboost in the ford for pulling.  That is my only point. 

dogrunner
On 11/20/2018 at 9:06 AM, WI Outdoor Nut said:

Just my opinion and that is all it is worth.  Like I said, having pulled with many 5.3's that I have either owned or used, I can't stand that constant downshifting and running at 4000rpm to make power.  If you are happy with your truck, great!  I will be doing a trip from WI to Kansas in a few week in a Chevy truck with the 5.3.  My buddies interior is more comfortable than mine and looking forward to the trip in his truck. 

I am not brand loyal, but really like the ecoboost in the ford for pulling.  That is my only point. 

Yep it does pull good and don't down shift like the 5.0 but I still like the 5.0 better and with the new 10 speed it runs really strong. 

25/06
On 11/19/2018 at 10:24 PM, bobman said:

Have you had a late model Cummins with all the emissions stuff

I was wondering if that’s figured out yet I’ve been thinking about selling my fleet lol and getting a tradesman crew cab dually 4x4 and pull a toy hauler behind it with a Jeep or some kind of atv in it

been looking at the ATC toy haulers they are all aluminum and real basic which I want so I can outfit it the way I want it for bird hunting

I keep flip flopping around and can’t make up my mind Cummins or the 6.4 Hemi

my wife and daughters would use the truck the rest of the year for pulling their darn horses around

In my opinion,

For your situation if you can swing it there is no comparison get the Cummings. Look at the work and Play toy haulers from forest river, The ACT aluminum trailers are nice as they are light but they are outrageously expensive. Take the 10-15K you save buying the Work and Play and pay for the Cummins and transmission options. Pulling regularly the diesels do what diesels do. They run down the road worry free on towing concerns. Empty my work truck a 15' Ram short box crew cab 4X4 Laredo gets 1-2 mph better than my personal 14 short box crew cab F140 XLT. Pulling the Ram/ Cummins gets 5-8mpg better than the ford/ Eco even with relatively light loads. This is in SD if you live in a state where you mainly drive 2 lanes @ 55 or so the 1/2 tons gassers make good sense even pulling. If your hammering across county on a regular basis with a toy hauler the diesels win. I am talking 3/4 ton I have no knowledge of the 1/2 ton diesels.

It is not a Ford, Ram, Chevy thing all gassers drop mileage when pulling. My truck has the max tow package 3.5 Eco 3.73 gears so it is set up to pull and will pull a 26' trailer anywhere you want to go provided you install air bags, equalizer hitch and make sure the trailer brakes are serviced properly. I.E. tow properly. You do not need a Diesel to do it but the diesel is a

luxury that you will enjoy. It is amazing the mileage the 1/2 ton pickups get empty, this is done as soon as you pull something or buck a bad wind. MY F150 was a good value, I like it very much and hope to run it out to 200,000 miles. I pull a small enclosed trailer with my clays stuff trailer loaded weighs 3,000 to 3,500. When I drive to Florida and back it gets 9-14mpg with an overall average about 12mpg for 4,000 miles. I made the same trip empty no trailer last spring and I got exactly 20mpg for entire 4,000 mile trip.

I have had 4 recalls (free other than my time) 6 or so check engine lights when cold( $75 to shut off) (typical in all diesels in cold weather) with the Ram one repair for the def pump ($1200) in 105,000miles

I had one code wrench that put Ford into limp mode that was corrected by restarting. This cost $169 plus one hour labor to repair  52,000 miles

PS I have used but do not own a work and play toy hauler. I lust after a 25' VFB. To me this would be the ultimate hunting/ sporting clays rig. The huge bathroom will get your spouses

attention. The 25' ULA is a great option also. You have to ask yourself if you would even consider an ACT/Ford trailer if weight was not the issue. The size of the box creates much

more drag than a few extra pounds. 

Take care

Jacksdad

On my second Tundra.  This one a '17.  Love almost everything about the truck except the seats.  HATE the seats.  I'm at about 40k miles and the only issue I've had was the lower trim piece on the front passenger window had kinda popped up and had to be pushed back down.  That's it. 

The new '19 Ram is a stunner and looks to have a really nice interior BUT if you read the latest gen Ram forums you'll find an awful lot of negatives.  There's even a poll on 'how is your '19 Ram running?' and IIRC only about 45% said 'no problems'!

The F150's are great looking trucks and I personally really like the 5.0 for daily driver duty.  Just couldn't get past the aluminum body.  and I refuse to own a truck that shuts itself off at stoplights. 

salmontogue

The Tundras are nice trucks and durable.  They are a challenge at highway speeds because you are always steering and correcting.  Others here have commented on that and we have two in my family who have a 17 and an 18.  They have sufficient power to tow fairly heavy loads but they do not have the stability.  My SILs 18 does poorly with my 22' center console fiberglass boat and becomes unacceptably unstable with my 36' High Country enclosed aluminum trailer.  I used the 18 to tow my High Country and found that I was unable to maintain highway speeds because the constant steering was causing the rig to become unstable....the trailer was empty at the time.  My suspicion is that all of this has to do with inadequate suspension under load.  No bad feelings on the Tundras except in the towing department.  Perhaps the suspension can be modified.

Any and all motor vehicles are subject to online forums where folks get twitterpated.  A better measure is to talk with owners of fleets of trucks that they work and often work extremely hard.  A family corporation uses hundreds of pickups, all Ram and Ford.  They have no GMs due to reliability issues and no Toyotas due to towing issues.  I'll ask them about their '19 Rams.

I agree that the stoplight shutoff has to be annoying and must raise problems with starters.  My understanding is that feature can be shut off.  I would if I owned one.  Stop and go traffic would be a starter killer.

Perk

dogrunner
47 minutes ago, Jacksdad said:

On my second Tundra.  This one a '17.  Love almost everything about the truck except the seats.  HATE the seats.  I'm at about 40k miles and the only issue I've had was the lower trim piece on the front passenger window had kinda popped up and had to be pushed back down.  That's it. 

The new '19 Ram is a stunner and looks to have a really nice interior BUT if you read the latest gen Ram forums you'll find an awful lot of negatives.  There's even a poll on 'how is your '19 Ram running?' and IIRC only about 45% said 'no problems'!

The F150's are great looking trucks and I personally really like the 5.0 for daily driver duty.  Just couldn't get past the aluminum body.  and I refuse to own a truck that shuts itself off at stoplights. 

Pushing the shutoff button fixes that it takes all of 1 second. 

Peent
21 minutes ago, salmontogue said:

The Tundras are nice trucks and durable.  They are a challenge at highway speeds because you are always steering and correcting.  Others here have commented on that and we have two in my family who have a 17 and an 18.  They have sufficient power to tow fairly heavy loads but they do not have the stability.  My SILs 18 does poorly with my 22' center console fiberglass boat and becomes unacceptably unstable with my 36' High Country enclosed aluminum trailer.  I used the 18 to tow my High Country and found that I was unable to maintain highway speeds because the constant steering was causing the rig to become unstable....the trailer was empty at the time.  My suspicion is that all of this has to do with inadequate suspension under load.  No bad feelings on the Tundras except in the towing department.  Perhaps the suspension can be modified.

Any and all motor vehicles are subject to online forums where folks get twitterpated.  A better measure is to talk with owners of fleets of trucks that they work and often work extremely hard.  A family corporation uses hundreds of pickups, all Ram and Ford.  They have no GMs due to reliability issues and no Toyotas due to towing issues.  I'll ask them about their '19 Rams.

I agree that the stoplight shutoff has to be annoying and must raise problems with starters.  My understanding is that feature can be shut off.  I would if I owned one.  Stop and go traffic would be a starter killer.

Perk

A simple sway bar on the tundra fixes the problem you are describing.  I agree that they should be standard.  

Jacksdad

Yep I installed the TRD rear sway bar and it transformed the truck.

For overall stability however my '13 Suburban was a better tow vehicle.  NOT for power, but for stability.  That said a 7k lb boat is just fine with the Tundra. 

salmontogue
28 minutes ago, Peent said:

A simple sway bar on the tundra fixes the problem you are describing.  I agree that they should be standard.  

My theory is that all vehicle manufacturers are cheapskates wanting to charge as much as possible for as little product as possible and then trying to avoid repairs under warranty.  The phrases...we cannot find anything, we cannot hear anything, we could not replicate your complaint are used ad nauseum. 

Shock absorbers are another area where quality parts are seldom used on the assembly line.  How dumb is that?

Perk

Dogwood

Found a local one owner 2015 with 3.5 Ecoboost, 3.55 gears locking diff, 56K miles, $28K. Gas tank only 23 gallons but I gotta whizz more often anyway. It is immaculate and drove really well. Heated cloth seats; I'm definitely a cloth seat fan.  Leather just seems too hard on my arse any more. I must be gettin' older.

Seem like a decent deal?

Natty Bumpo
1 hour ago, Dogwood said:

Found a local one owner 2015 with 3.5 Ecoboost, 3.55 gears locking diff, 56K miles, $28K. Gas tank only 23 gallons but I gotta whizz more often anyway. It is immaculate and drove really well. Heated cloth seats; I'm definitely a cloth seat fan.  Leather just seems too hard on my arse any more. I must be gettin' older.

Seem like a decent deal?

Off Road package? Trailer Tow package?   Cause your gonna need both.........

Dogwood

Trailer tow yes. Off road no. Figured I can add skid plates later.  It's got the 5.5 bed which I prefer.

bobman

Five star ford in Lewisville tx also known as Sam pack ford is advertising f -150s for nearly that price new on the radio right now

for some reason pickup trucks are often cheaper around DALLAS tx

must be a competitive market

dogrunner
2 hours ago, bobman said:

Five star ford in Lewisville tx also known as Sam pack ford is advertising f -150s for nearly that price new on the radio right now

for some reason pickup trucks are often cheaper around DALLAS tx

must be a competitive market

Probably like this one, I doubt that is what he’s looking for by his description.  😁

66523A45-5D87-4F93-B513-7A4E8E29D273.jpeg

25/06
On 11/16/2018 at 6:11 AM, blanked said:

watch the commercial where the tool box falls off the truck side panel and puts a hole in the ford fiberglass bed.   that's a deal breaker to me

If you want a GM you better buy in the next couple of model years then. They have been testing an all aluminum body for their next generation 1/2 tons.

CAFE standards are forcing the situation.

The old CAFE testing methods may not be relevant to today's driving speeds but they are the standard.

Eliminating weight is one of the cheapest ways to improve under the CAFE standards.