Tilting at windmills--part II

Here we go again!

Tilting at windmills

Verb:

(intransitive) To attack imaginary enemies.

(intransitive, by extension) To go on a wild-goose chase; to persistently engage in a futile activity.

The Massachusetts shotgun deer season opens half an hour before sunrise tomorrow and I should be in my spot a few hundred yards behind my house at 6am.  There has been plenty of activity in the area--I saw 2 bucks chasing does at midday yesterday a few miles from the house-- and there are a bunch of tracks in the snow out back and a few Doe wandering in the yard at night.  Its been over 20 years since I filled my tag but hope springs eternal!  I have 2 weeks to score with my shotgun, followed by 3+ weeks of muzzle loader.  

My gear is all organized and ready to go--shotgun sighted in with Hornady 2.75" sabots and clothes doused in permethren. 

IMG_1754-XL.jpg

There are a couple inches of snow on the ground and my spot is high up on an esker giving me a commanding view overlooking a small brook leading into a flooded vernal pool--the wind should be right and the rain will hold off until late afternoon tomorrow.  I'll keep you all posted in my efforts.

“Destiny guides our fortunes more favorably than we could have expected. Look there, Sancho Panza, my friend, and see those thirty or so wild giants, with whom I intend to do battle and kill each and all of them, so with their stolen booty we can begin to enrich ourselves. This is nobel, righteous warfare, for it is wonderfully useful to God to have such an evil race wiped from the face of the earth."
"What giants?" Asked Sancho Panza.
"The ones you can see over there," answered his master, "with the huge arms, some of which are very nearly two leagues long."
"Now look, your grace," said Sancho, "what you see over there aren't giants, but windmills, and what seems to be arms are just their sails, that go around in the wind and turn the millstone."
"Obviously," replied Don Quijote, "you don't know much about adventures.”
― Miguel de Cervantes, Don Quixote

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• atticus

• Brad Eden

• max2

• garyRI

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This could only happen to me....   I got to my spot at about 6:45, damp, foggy, raw--bone chilling.  First mistake--didn't bring toe and hand warmers because I figured I wouldn't need them s

I took the day off and spent 7+ hours in the woods.  I didn't see anything but a friend of mine hunting a few hundred yards away saw a doe but nothing following.  I did check my camera and found that

Here we go again!   Tilting at windmills Verb: (intransitive) To attack imaginary enemies. (intransitive, by extension) To go on a wild-goose chase; to persistently engage in

Posted Images

31 minutes ago, Marc Ret said:

Best of luck Atticus.  Marlin 512?

It is--with a Simmons 4x fixed scope on it. 

Good luck Billy, This is your year for a nice Whitetail buck head or European mount for the trophy room.

Good luck Billy! I will be out with Polecat for our NJ muzzleloader opener. Supposed to rain all day. Got the tree umbrella ready to go and will be wearing my LL Bean goretex brush pants. Latex fingertip cut from a glove placed over the end of the barrel and taped should keep the powder dry. Luckily temps aren’t suppose to be to cold. Hope to post some pics from the stand in the am.

5 hours ago, atticus said:

It is--with a Simmons 4x fixed scope on it. 

Hopefully Santa will supply an early Christmas gift of a deer in the crosshairs to complete that outfit. 

My son & I be out tomorrow in a small MA wildlife management area that gets very light pressure. I've worked out a path in opposite the main parking lot. Looking forward to it.

Good thing we do not hunt together! Your luck is my luck. We meet today at 7 AM..drive/stand.....never quit but never successful!

New pup has me entertained! Not deer hunting.

Best wishes!

Well .... you folks are in your stands and the lights will soon come on . I think today is the day !

Good luck to all who are gett'n out ! 

When it happens, it happens. When I think back at all the bucks I've shot, I realize that one second the woods were empty and the next filled with drama and excitement. Didn't "happen" for me this season (yet) with bow or rifle. Pulled the usual bone head move of passing on early Does with bow and with rifle despite having any deer tags, and let a small doe walk last Saturday in rifle ender, hoping momma or poppa would take up the rear. Antler envy I guess. I can still bow hunt and Muzzleoad hunt until the 8th of December. But am taking a few days off to catch up in life and work and such.

Truth is I have been gifted venison from a fellow UJer and took my share of a buck I processed for a good friend. So am pretty good on the protein front.

Getting your behind in the woods is the most important thing. If it's gonna "happen" it will, and it will be sweet no matter the head adornment!

Had a buck at about 120 yards working my way he turned and went into some thick stuff. Never came through.

F1E3C314-C986-422B-A010-54939709CC60.jpeg

I was thinking of Billy this morning and sent a good luck text as I left the gym at almost legal shooting light and got ready for the office.....been 9 days since I went into the damn office so I figured it was about time.

Go get em' Billy

This could only happen to me....

I got to my spot at about 6:45, damp, foggy, raw--bone chilling.  First mistake--didn't bring toe and hand warmers because I figured I wouldn't need them since it was 40 degrees. I walked to my spot 200 +- yards behind my house. 

The view from atop my little hill

56492631441__1294688A-8CCA-4C46-B7AE-CB4

IMG_1760-XL.jpg

IMG_1761-XL.jpg

There is  brook you can just see that goes L-R to a vernal pool which is now a small pond.  My hill is about 30' high giving me a good view.  As you can see there is still a couple inches of wet snow giving excellent contrast for seeing movement.

It wasn't until 8 or so that I saw squirrels and birds moving around and I only heard a couple distant shots.  Reports from Sharon indicated I have the woods to myself since she saw no cars parked in the usual spots nearby.  I sat for 3 hours getting colder and colder--that dampness gets through everything!

At 9:45 I had had enough and headed into the house to warm up.  The curse of hunting within sight of your house is you can be warm in 10 minutes.  So I get into the house, make a call and am standing in the kitchen having a slice of toast looking out the picture window into the woods.  Yup, there he is....walking 50 yards behind the yard and about 100 from my stand. I had been out of my spot for 10 minutes.....

I took this picture while calling Sharon at work to laugh.

Deer%20overall-XL.jpg

A close up---perhaps a small 6 point

deer%20close%20up-XL.jpg

Chalk another one up for the worst deer hunter in Massachusetts. I'll head back out shortly, maybe he is still around.

If you have a can or tube call do a few bleats, and light grunts, every 10-15 minutes. He will come looking. Be patient.