Tilting at windmills--part II

Push his tongue in his mouth when you take the hero shots and post them. Makes for a more pleasant photo presentation....

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• atticus

• Brad Eden

• max2

• garyRI

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This could only happen to me....   I got to my spot at about 6:45, damp, foggy, raw--bone chilling.  First mistake--didn't bring toe and hand warmers because I figured I wouldn't need them s

I took the day off and spent 7+ hours in the woods.  I didn't see anything but a friend of mine hunting a few hundred yards away saw a doe but nothing following.  I did check my camera and found that

Here we go again!   Tilting at windmills Verb: (intransitive) To attack imaginary enemies. (intransitive, by extension) To go on a wild-goose chase; to persistently engage in

Posted Images

Nope. Saw a doe bounding away from a couple guys doing a push and that was it. 

I sat for 7 hours—which may be a record for me especially in cold, damp, raw, weather—and saw 2 deer (sort of) so I’m in a good spot. I’ll be back out Friday since I have to be around for the electrician. 

timberdoodletime

Had a small buck by me last Friday bow hunting. I tried grunting and can calling and he would not even respond in the least. Just kept feeding

but would not come any closer than 35yds. Little to far for me shooting instinctive with my Black Widow recurve. If i had my BowTech it would

have been a different story. Will be out tomorrow thru Sat with the shotgun though.

DSC_0086.JPG

15 minutes ago, timberdoodletime said:

Had a small buck by me last Friday bow hunting. I tried grunting and can calling and he would not even respond in the least. Just kept feeding

but would not come any closer than 35yds. Little to far for me shooting instinctive with my Black Widow recurve. If i had my BowTech it would

have been a different story. Will be out tomorrow thru Sat with the shotgun though.

DSC_0086.JPG

Where did you get the sling swivel for the end cap on the magazine? I looked all over and couldn't find one.

39 minutes ago, Remo said:

Where did you get the sling swivel for the end cap on the magazine?

try midwayusa.com. Uncle Mike's Quick Detachable Sling Swivel Cap Set Remington 870 (Internal Ratchet-Type System) 12 Gauge 1" Black

Dick if it’s for your 37 your barrel lug has to be drilled and tapped for the front swivel

the only barrels that came predrilled from Ithica were the deerslayer special barrels

Why didn’t you just open the window and sblast him?

14 minutes ago, MAArcher said:

Why didn’t you just open the window and sblast him?

Because I like hunting more than just killing.  I could shoot pheasants in the yard too, but don't.

IMG_1753-X2.jpg

Suit yourself.  Enjoy another 20 years of tag soup.😜

Here's a little  something to rev you guy's up .  As Brad has stated when deer hunting everything could change in an instant . i heard tale of a lot of 8 pt & bigger deer harvests  in my area.  So the  "head game"has me thinking  - "why bother getting out" they have croaked them all already.  Two  days ago while driving up my road I see a wide ( way out past the ears) buck looking at me from along side a neighbors house. Not 50 yrds off the road. Holy cow I thought ! They didn't croak um all. 

Yesterday afternoon I went out into some thick stuff and  and set in  an old stand I had.  Trees laid over with snow so visibility was poor. In no time I caught movement . A doe & then I saw antlers  . No clear shot but continued to see bits & pieces.  It made for a good afternoon.     The way I see ~ it ain't over till the fat lady sings........ & she's just warming up 😀   Get out there & give it a go ! You never know ! 

Billy,  based on your pictures I think you need to cut out some shooting lanes.

I started hunting when I was 14 and didn't see a buck while hunting until I was thirty.  Yep it can get pretty frustrating out there.

2 hours ago, Big Al said:

Billy,  based on your pictures I think you need to cut out some shooting lanes.

I started hunting when I was 14 and didn't see a buck while hunting until I was thirty.  Yep it can get pretty frustrating out there.

I wish I could cut that!  Although its only a couple hundred yards from my house, its a state wildlife management area--- and is in serious need of thinning.  But here in Massachusetts there is minimal love for the lumberman's axe. 

Years ago I found my slump to be frustrating, now I just find the annual near miss to be humorous.  The fact is I don't do any real scouting or put any significant effort into deer hunting, I just like to go into the woods and sit.  I always see enough other stuff to keep me interested for a few hours sit. 

Seriously, if I put in half the effort scouting for deer that I put in looking for new bird covers I'd get a nice buck every year.

We just had a doe walk through the back yard bleating.  There was another deer walking around just off the yard in the woods--a following buck perhaps?  While we heard no grunts, I suspect the rut is still on behind the house.

I have Friday off and will be back out there!

tilting-at-windmills-S.jpg