• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• atticus

• Brad Eden

• max2

• garyRI

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This could only happen to me....   I got to my spot at about 6:45, damp, foggy, raw--bone chilling.  First mistake--didn't bring toe and hand warmers because I figured I wouldn't need them s

I took the day off and spent 7+ hours in the woods.  I didn't see anything but a friend of mine hunting a few hundred yards away saw a doe but nothing following.  I did check my camera and found that

Here we go again!   Tilting at windmills Verb: (intransitive) To attack imaginary enemies. (intransitive, by extension) To go on a wild-goose chase; to persistently engage in

Posted Images

20 hours ago, atticus said:

I suspect the rut is still on behind the house.

I'm in RI and shot a nice buck yesterday in a coastal town between RI and Boston following a doe at 8 AM. 

14 minutes ago, garyRI said:

I'm in RI and shot a nice buck yesterday in a coastal town between RI and Boston following a doe at 8 AM. 

What the heck?  You cant post that you shot a "nice buck" and not include a pic, that's just rude.

Never mind.  Just saw the other post.  It is a nice one! Congrats Gary. 

7 hours ago, MAArcher said:

What the heck?  You cant post that you shot a "nice buck" and not include a pic, that's just rude.

[posted already but here it is again

ma 11 18.JPG

1 hour ago, tclprin said:

Day 3 and 4 coming in SE MA. Even my backyard deer have disappeared! Nothing..of course!

....... today could be the day . Keep on ! 

I took the day off and spent 7+ hours in the woods.  I didn't see anything but a friend of mine hunting a few hundred yards away saw a doe but nothing following.  I did check my camera and found that I am still in a good place! The camera is 50 or so yards from my spot.

Back at it tomorrow.

WGI_0003-XL.jpg

This afternoon, We saw several hunters entering the woods half a mile down the road —I figured they would push the deer around.  So I went into the woods and moved A hundred yards or so closer to the brook.  20 minutes after I sat down I saw movement off to my left. A deer— but no view of the head; I only have a buck tag. It stopped at the bleat from the can but in a bunch of evergreen.  I waited 5 minutes and gave a couple more bleats. Another deer, this one more brown than the first moved off to the left in the direction of the other. I couldn’t see it’s head either.  I never saw where they went. 

That was it for the afternoon But it sure was a fun 10 minutes!  I figure it was a buck following a doe but can’t be sure.

I’m getting closer. 

10 hours ago, atticus said:

That was it for the afternoon But it sure was a fun 10 minutes!  I figure it was a buck following a doe but can’t be sure.

I’m getting closer. 

That's the kicker . Good stuff !  

Today is my last day of shotgun as part time professional work kicks in. Total sightings few.....did fire a long shot to no avail. That was fun. Deer numbers are high in SE MA in the suburbs, deer hunting covers...very limited.

5 guys, push and stand daily, I am the youngest at 69!

So Billy, we share experiences...but cannot stay home!

And 3 weeks of blackpowder ahead! (booo!)

I went out this morning and was not prepared for the 16 degree temps.  I stuck it out for an hour and a half then came in.  After doing some errands and watching the memorial service for President Bush 41, I headed back out for an afternoon sit.  Nothing.  Worse, when I checked my trail camera there was nothing for the last five days.  Perhaps a move is in order?  I'll hit my usual spot Saturday afternoon in hopes of other hunters moving the deer around like last weekend.

I think the President Bush would have approved of the way I spent the unexpected day off for his day of mourning.  He was an avid sportsman. May he rest in peace and accept the thanks of this civil servant for his lifetime of service. 

Last day of shotgun season today and the only thing I saw during my afternoon sit was another hunter.  Nothing on the trail camera either--but since it didn't have a pic of me changing the chip, I think I didn't turn it back on last time---yes, I'll go with that.

Now I have 3 weeks to score with a patched round ball from the old .56 cal TC renegade.  No snow in the forecast so still hunting will be tough.

Why don’t you move to some other part of the woods?

I would keep moving to a different place each sit until you find a spot deer are moving thru during the day?

2 hours ago, bobman said:

Why don’t you move to some other part of the woods?

I would keep moving to a different place each sit until you find a spot deer are moving thru during the day?

I think you're right. I'll give it it a try.