REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
DocE

Cleaning Headlights

Zoli 16ga.

toothpaste and a rag. 

Any sort of mild abrasive... 

Any quality automotive rubbing or buffing compound will do a fine job, but it's only a matter of time before they do it again. 

rideold

Silly as it sounds I've had good luck touching up my headlights in the winter at the gas station.  Once the headlights get all gunky with road grit I wipe them down with a dry paper towel and then clean them off.  Doesn't substitute for a proper buffing but it does a pretty good job if your lenses are as bad as mine are.  Wouldn't do it on a newer set but my truck is 16 years old and has a ton of miles on it.  

River19

One guaranteed way to clean your headlights that will last at least 5 years or so is to buy a new vehicle.  

There you now know the 100% effective solution, granted it comes with some down sides.......

topdog1961

Here's how you clean faded headlights. I will admit this 06 Sienna my wife drives was the most expensive and difficult I ever replaced. My 98 F-150 cost $48 and was a snap. But these two new headlights were $160 and took me almost two hours because I had to unsnap each side of th fascia to get to one of 4 bolts that hold them in. But I didn't have anything better to do on this cold winter weekend morning, and it is well worth the money and time to have new ones. And there  is a YouTube video for everything. Driving home from skiing in Michigan last Sunday night was downright dangerous on rural highways, and I said enough is enough. 

Edit: I figgured out why these headlights were so expensive. They are motorized and adjustable from the dash. 3 years and I never knew that. Guess I should read the Manual 

image.jpeg