Can't eat the horns and all that...

IMG_0929.JPG

Muzzleloader barked. Hardest season in memory. I'd be fibbing If I didn't say I busted my ass this season with bow and rifle. Sure, I passed on some Skippers with bow and a few Does early on during the rifle season. Which is stupid in Maine, given I had a "Doe Permit" burning a hole in my pocket. Nothing really came together buck wise. Had some close encounters for sure but no brown with antlers in peep sight or crosshairs. 

On my daily errand run to to my PO Box, I had been seeing deer way the hell back in a farm field. Not every day but occasionally. These were 'stop the truck and glass with binocs' "way the hell back in a field" deer. I know this area and how to get to them because I turkey hunt this farm. But I never had my gear with me or was too lazy because it was an exercise to get there, and typically the deer would spook before I got close enough for a shot. But this morning I packed my gear in my truck and decided if there were deer back there I was gonna give it a go. Sure enough I spotted two brown specs in the spotty white snow way the hell back in the field. Game on. I kept driving and turned into a side road and parked. This put me almost a quarter mile from those deer. I geared up, grabbed the smoke pole and headed in. To get close I would have to cross several small fields separated by scrubby deep gullies before I could see those deer. It was cold and crunchy as hell. I sounded like a herd of elephants. About halfway there I started doing grunts with a grunt tube every so often as I crunched my way along. This has worked in the past and my hope was they would stay put out of curiosity. When I got 3/4 of the way I mixed in bleat can calls. I finally came to the last brushy gully before I could possibly see if the deer were still in that section of field. I crept up, and sure enough there they were. They were looking in my direction and right next to the woodline. And way the hell far away still. I glassed them. Two mature Does. Fine with me, not discriminating any more and I had a Permit. They were alert but not spooked. I tried bleating to see if they would come closer. Nope. 

IMG_0930.JPG

I had had the presence of mind to carry along a shooting stick. One of those telescoping units with a yoke on top to put the guns forearm in for a stead(ier) shot. I figured what the hell. I had to reposition to clear some brush and branches and set the stick and propped my muzzleloader on top. The view with the cheap 4x Simmons scope wasn't great and the cross hairs were shaky. The Red God of hunting looked down upon me with pity and had placed an overhanging branch just off my right shoulder. I was able to prop my right elbow on that branch and now had a much steadier rest. I picked out the biggest broadside Doe, took a deep breath and touched it off. Through the smoke I saw her stumble and lurch into the woods and then I saw her flop to the ground and out of sight. Dead deer no longer walking.

When I got to her I saw that the .50 caliber Sabot had gone through both shoulders, and she hadn't gone 15 yards from where she had stood. Big girl that dressed at 115 lbs. I cleaned her out and walked back to my truck and retrieved my jet sled. It was an easy "drag", sliding across mostly snow. I had called a friend who met me at the truck and helped me heave the sled and deer into the bed. On the way to get the sled I walked off the distance. 150 yards on the dot, given my 12 strides equals 10 yards. That's a longer poke than I ever make with my 7mm-08 rifle. 150 grains of Pyrodex, a 240 grain Sabot and 209 Primer in what amounts to an ancient TC Black Diamond inline can reach out. This is the first deer I've ever shot with that muzzleloader. I've rarely been in the position to have to use it.

IMG_0931.JPGIMG_0932.JPG

Lil Brutus comes in real handy during times like this.

So, just a Doe...but I can honestly say I've rarely worked this hard to secure a hanging deer in my many years of Whitetail chasing. I'm very happy. And...I can still bowhunt the Expanded zone til Saturday...life is good in Maine.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brad Eden

• ruffneck

• OldSarge

• garyRI

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Muzzleloader barked. Hardest season in memory. I'd be fibbing If I didn't say I busted my ass this season with bow and rifle. Sure, I passed on some Skippers with bow and a few Does early on during th

I think this is representative of the heart of many hunters Troy. Yes, we kill (I hate the term "harvest") as part of the process of hunting but we take no pleasure from the needless death and sufferi

‘Rooster, I do mine the same as you. Pull the inner loins same day I hang the deer. They usually end up in the skillet that night though. 

Posted Images

AWESOME!  Very nice shot.  You've got a bunch of good meat there.  Been to Lowe's yet - or do you want to borrow my electric grinder?????

Doesn't look like you have much eye relief with your scope setup. 150 grains of pyrodex kicks a bit

57 minutes ago, bmeador said:

AWESOME!  Very nice shot.  You've got a bunch of good meat there.  Been to Lowe's yet - or do you want to borrow my electric grinder?????

All set in that department!

54 minutes ago, garyRI said:

Doesn't look like you have much eye relief with your scope setup. 150 grains of pyrodex kicks a bit

Cheap Simmons 4x, plus I injured my eye last March leading to a vitreous detachment a month later. Still changing but I'm looking through a haze with right eye. Glad I could pull this off!

After hanging and cleaning her out I removed the heart. The Sabot had shattered lower shoulders on both sides and taken out the top 1/4 of the heart. She was going nowhere fast. 

A nice deer, a good hunt and an interesting story.  Pretty successful day.  A wise man once said:  "Never pass up a deer on the first day that you'd shoot on the last day."  I fail to live by those words, too 😉.

Venison is good healthy meat. Congrats.

It's pretty rare for me to pass up a doe if I have a tag.

Great job and writing. This was my first year with a muzzleloader and was lucky enough to harvest two doe. Truthfully, my first year hunting in 35 years. I also went on a Bear and Pheasant hunt and was lucky enough to come home with some fine meat from both. I was blessed this season and with one more hunt in the books, I hope to harvest another deer before the season runs out.

Just now, martin9428 said:

Great job and writing. This was my first year with a muzzleloader and was lucky enough to harvest two doe. Truthfully, my first year hunting in 35 years. I also went on a Bear and Pheasant hunt and was lucky enough to come home with some fine meat from both. I was blessed this season and with one more hunt in the books, I hope to harvest another deer before the season runs out.

Thanks, and welcome to the Board. These seasonal forums outside the Bird Hunting emphasis are fun for sure. I still have 2 days to shoot a deer with my bow in a specially designated management area. Today will likely be it and I'm heading there this afternoon. I might even put up a new ladder stand if I have time at a confluence of of trails I discovered earlier this week. Or I might rely on one of the other stands that have been productive in the past. If I see action I may make the 45 minute drive again Saturday morning on the closer. We shall see. Good luck with your next deer.

That was a great hunt and even better shot!  The trophy lies in the story and no deer will taste better than one you earned!

One of my favorite turkey hunts ended with a big Jake. 

Congrats!