• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brad Eden

• ruffneck

• OldSarge

• garyRI

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Muzzleloader barked. Hardest season in memory. I'd be fibbing If I didn't say I busted my ass this season with bow and rifle. Sure, I passed on some Skippers with bow and a few Does early on during th

I think this is representative of the heart of many hunters Troy. Yes, we kill (I hate the term "harvest") as part of the process of hunting but we take no pleasure from the needless death and sufferi

‘Rooster, I do mine the same as you. Pull the inner loins same day I hang the deer. They usually end up in the skillet that night though. 

Posted Images

39 minutes ago, mccuha said:

nice, I prefer a doe over a buck for eating any day.  By the way. How far is "way the hell". 9_9

My guess is, from the main road, that back corner of the field is..I don't know. A 5 minute walk...500 yards...binoculars time...I am farsighted and can't see chit from arm length to my nose but can spot a porcupine waddling across a field 1/2 mile away...or way the hell back...predator eye I guess.  😎

Good job.  I had a mule deer doe tag but didn't fill it.  Just never got a chance at a doe.  The mule deer population at the ranch was probably down about 75% for no known reason. 

2 hours ago, Big Al said:

Good job.  I had a mule deer doe tag but didn't fill it.  Just never got a chance at a doe.  The mule deer population at the ranch was probably down about 75% for no known reason. 

West Nile virus 😈

Good news!  Sorry to hear about the retina issue . My wife went through that and it was not fun. . Hang tuff my friend.

IMG_0933.JPG

There is nothing like a hunk of free range protein hanging at an abode. It's like a satisfying full stomach or something, just feels good and complete.. I typically hang under the deck for aging and skinning and breakdown, but this is late season and temps are frigid. The garage stays cool but not as frigid as outside. Keeping an eye on it it so doesn't freeze before skinning. A few days of aging and the work shall commence. 

Today ends all whitetail deer hunting in Maine. Expanded Archery and Muzzleloader seasons are done 1/2 hr after sunset this afternoon. I took the 45 minute drive to my Expanded Zone area yesterday afternoon, and sat in my most productive bow stand for 2.5 hrs in afternoon for the last time. Quiet, no movement. Got down when I could no longer see my pins and nodded goodby to a very challenging 2018 deer season. 

IMG_0934.JPG

Stage 1 and 2 complete: Skinning/Quartering etc.. I normally would have let it hang for several more days but it has been down close to 0 degrees at night and below freezing during the day. I wrapped it in blankets but still the lower extremities were frozen. I was able to skin it with some effort and avoid dragging it into basement to the thaw a bit. Broken down: Quartered, in a bin, inner loins and Backstraps removed, and neck roasts removed and in fridge until I clean them up and cut. Yet to come: Stage 3: Full boning and processing into steaks, roasts, etc. Stage 4: Grind all the scrap meat into burger and maybe sausage. Stage 5: vacuum seal all cuts and burger and freeze.

Very satisfying if you have the time, tools, and wherewithal.

Cutting up my 7pt muzzle loader buck today also. I’ve cut up 6 this year for myself and my daughters family. I also enjoy the entire process but really enjoy the eating part, and sharing wild game with family and friends. 

Inner and outer loins trimmed, cut and vac sealed. Left a couple nice long strips of Backstraps for loin wrapping/baking. Rear quarters deboned, cut into steaks, roasts and burger chunks and vac sealed. After lunch  I'll get to front quarters, and maybe do the grinding and packaging of that tomorrow. It's a process.

Ok, deboned and processed front quarters. The shot blew out both lower shoulders/legs so all the good meat was cubed for burger.  Big stainless bowl filled with the grind meat in fridge. I'll grind and vac seal that tomorrow or the next day and all will be complete.