• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brad Eden

• ruffneck

• OldSarge

• garyRI

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Muzzleloader barked. Hardest season in memory. I'd be fibbing If I didn't say I busted my ass this season with bow and rifle. Sure, I passed on some Skippers with bow and a few Does early on during th

I think this is representative of the heart of many hunters Troy. Yes, we kill (I hate the term "harvest") as part of the process of hunting but we take no pleasure from the needless death and sufferi

‘Rooster, I do mine the same as you. Pull the inner loins same day I hang the deer. They usually end up in the skillet that night though. 

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, paul frey said:

Nice one Brad.  I too shot my first deer with a muzzleloader this year.

Great! There has been a few years when I didn't fill my Firearm tag and pulled out the muzzleloader, but never shot it at a deer. I am impressed to say the least. 

1 minute ago, Brad Eden said:

Great! There has been a few years when I didn't fill my Firearm tag and pulled out the muzzleloader, but never shot it at a deer. I am impressed to say the least. 

After shooting the buck this year with the muzzleloader I don't think I will ever use my shotgun again.  Mine is a TC Bone Collector edition, 50 cal. topped with a Nikon BDC scope.  The gun fits me real well too. 

6 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

Inner and outer loins trimmed, cut and vac sealed. 

This has me curious. I was taught how to process a deer once many years ago and then just sort of developed my own way of doing it over time. 

I like to hang my deer deer for several days. Since the "inner loin" is exposed to air once the deer is gutted it will dry out a bit. I have always pulled the inner loin the same day I get the deer. I trim it out and wrap it in cellophane and put it in the fridge until I process the whole deer. I just don't like losing too much of the loin to trimming off the dried part, that is my thinking.

Just was wondering how others handled the inner loin. 

‘Rooster, I do mine the same as you. Pull the inner loins same day I hang the deer. They usually end up in the skillet that night though. 

I typically pull the inner loin right out. Didn't with this because (I forgot and..)I immediately wrapped the deer partially in plastic and in a blanket for a few days before I skinned it. Temps were almost to 0 at night and it would have frozen, nothing worse than trying to skin a frozen deer. As is the innerloins came out cleanly with little if any hardening/drying out. I usually eat one right off, cut into 1" medallions, seasoned and quickly seared. Simpler the better. Yum.

1 hour ago, Brad Eden said:

I typically pull the inner loin right out. Didn't with this because (I forgot and..)I immediately wrapped the deer partially in plastic and in a blanket for a few days before I skinned it. Temps were almost to 0 at night and it would have frozen, nothing worse than trying to skin a frozen deer. As is the innerloins came out cleanly with little if any hardening/drying out. I usually eat one right off, cut into 1" medallions, seasoned and quickly seared. Simpler the better. Yum.

Me and a bunch of my buddies butcher together.  We usually wait to have a few to do the butchering (Unless the weather is not cooperating).  Let me note that I am not good at butchering. I am the bagger/cleaner up guy.  One of my buddies (where we do the butchering. He is set up for it) will cut out the loins and have them with his breakfast.  He always claims that "The barn mice took them":D.  I'm OK with that.  The price you pay to have it hang in his barn.  FRIENDS!!! Couldn't do it without them.

Does anyone braise the shanks? I haven't but, have been watching recipe videos recently and saw one on braising shanks and man they looked good.

Done...burger grind and vac seal complete. Added some ground pork to most of burger and did a few pounds worth of Breakfast Sausage blend. Only thing left is to gift some meat out, and have a friend come over to pick up the carcass, hide, and scraps for coyote bait. 

In pa my relatives pull the hide off that day. They looked at me like I was crazy to leave it on for a couple days while it "aged"  They say how can it cool off with the hide on it? LOL

7 minutes ago, gundogpa said:

In pa my relatives pull the hide off that day. They looked at me like I was crazy to leave it on for a couple days while it "aged"  They say how can it cool off with the hide on it? LOL

I usually leave hide on while aging too. I do like to age and if skinned and not processed immediately, it needs to be wrapped in cellophane or it gets brown and dry. The problem with late season deer is they will freeze with hide on pretty quick, and skinning a frozen deer is nearly impossible and a real PIA. I don't like for the meat to freeze, thaw and then be frozen again.

Congrats to you and Char on a great season.

I was told years ago to rub cooking oil all over the hanging meat to keep from turning black while aging. I age mine in a 2 door upright Pepsi cooler . It has a fan blowing constantly  so it will dry them out if it hangs more than a week or so. Works great tho. I can hang 2 deer quartered easily  in it. 

On 12/11/2018 at 3:05 PM, gundogpa said:

I agree with your relatives. As best I can I do what a butcher would do (they don't hang black angus' with the hide on). If I can, shoot from rib to rib (bleeds the animal out). And get the hide off to disapate body heat. Then age for three days or so if temps permit. But I take the tender loins out right away too.

After stripping off the hide I cut away blood shot meat. I leave as much fat and silver skin on the carcass to minimize darkening.

4 hours ago, ruffneck said:

I was told years ago to rub cooking oil all over the hanging meat to keep from turning black while aging

Great idea. Will definitely borrow it.

On 12/11/2018 at 7:39 AM, martin9428 said:

Does anyone braise the shanks

the "meateater" series now available on netflixs has an episode showing this