Can't eat the horns and all that...

Growing up in philly,  my dad would shoot a deer on Monday or sometimes Tuesday out in w.pa, tie it on the roof of the "station wagon" and drive it home on the pa turnpike and hang it in our row home garage until Saturday with the hide on. Only bad thing I can remember was getting the hide off. Skinning them the same day of kill is a whole lot easier.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brad Eden

• ruffneck

• OldSarge

• garyRI

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Muzzleloader barked. Hardest season in memory. I'd be fibbing If I didn't say I busted my ass this season with bow and rifle. Sure, I passed on some Skippers with bow and a few Does early on during th

I think this is representative of the heart of many hunters Troy. Yes, we kill (I hate the term "harvest") as part of the process of hunting but we take no pleasure from the needless death and sufferi

‘Rooster, I do mine the same as you. Pull the inner loins same day I hang the deer. They usually end up in the skillet that night though. 

Posted Images

We may renovate our kitchen this winter, if so we will replace the appliances. I plan to move the current refrigerator/freezer to the garage and remove the shelves and use it as a cooler for skinned and quartered deer, maybe hang grouse and Woodcock and spring wild turkeys to age etc., etc. (and beer most likely) 

Also leaving the hide on during aging doesn't allow you to clean any bad stuff like blood shot areas or stomach matter that might be trapped between hide and carcass. I like to get the hide off cut away any bad spots and hose it down .

On 12/11/2018 at 6:39 AM, martin9428 said:

Does anyone braise the shanks? I haven't but, have been watching recipe videos recently and saw one on braising shanks and man they looked good.

Shanks are my second favorite after loins. Better than back straps. Nobody believes me. 

We may need a sub-forum to store big game/deer processing resources...

Never tried the shanks. I did go off the reservation and kept a couple long sections of Backstrap this year, to likely bake, wrap or sear and bake etc., like a loin roast. I typically cut my Backstraps into inch thick steaks.

I usually make Osso bucco with them. I cut them in 2” pcs with bone and meat connected and braise them for several hours with th some winter veg and canned. tomatoes Same can be done with the neck. It makes a great crock pot dinner

Going to have to try that Osso buco. I usually spend a bunch of time trying to trim out the shanks, removing the tendons etc. but the yield is a little disappointing that way. I do filet and trim out the neck though. Lots of meat there. 

24 minutes ago, OldSarge said:

Going to have to try that Osso buco. I usually spend a bunch of time trying to trim out the shanks, removing the tendons etc. but the yield is a little disappointing that way. I do filet and trim out the neck though. Lots of meat there. 

I'd stop and cut the legs off a fresh road kill for those shanks.  It's that good.  I drove by one this morning and thought about it.  I need to get a cordless saws all.  

A downside to processing your own deer, is that word gets out and you get a phone call from someone who took in a road kill deer and wanted to know if you'd cut it up for them. I'd be all over it if a didn't have meat from my buddy's buck and from the doe I shot. A lot of people, even hunters, have no idea the work involved from skinning to packaging and all in between, especially if you do it solo. I don't really have time this week. I gave him the number of a nearby game processer but I imagine he is done for the year. And I told him he needs to skin it or have it skinned soon before it freezes in his unheated garage, and that I'd come over and do that and take out the inner loins and Backstraps for him, but not sure of the whole Processing deal.

On 12/13/2018 at 7:59 AM, Brad Eden said:

kept a couple long sections of Backstrap this year, to likely bake, wrap or sear and bake etc., like a loin roast. I typically cut my Backstraps into inch thick steaks.

Brad, if you or someone else has a smoker and is good at it, i can't recommend smoked back strap enough. It is wicked good. If you care for a lightly spicy teryaki base sauce to brush on after, thats not gonna hurt anything.

I was in Afghanistan when a fellow soldier got a care package from home with some canned venison. It looked suspect through the jar because it had a gray hue. He didn’t want to risk it and didn’t really like venison anyway. Well, the seal was good so I decided the try it. Lo and behold the contents were smoked backstrap which was then canned. Holy moly was that good stuff. 

I went over and looked at the road kill deer. A spike, maybe 120-130 lbs. Frozen solid, even inner loins, so skinning it would require some thawing and still be a PIA. And it looks like at least one shoulder, maybe the same side rear quarter may be toast. His son is gonna try and cut it up. I told him if he wants me to clean up and package the loin and Backstrapsto drop them off. But that's as much as I can deal with right now.

1 hour ago, Brad Eden said:

I went over and looked at the road kill deer. A spike, maybe 120-130 lbs. Frozen solid, even inner loins, so skinning it would require some thawing and still be a PIA. And it looks like at least one shoulder, maybe the same side rear quarter may be toast. His son is gonna try and cut it up. I told him if he wants me to clean up and package the loin and Backstrapsto drop them off. But that's as much as I can deal with right now.

Until that hide comes off, you don't know what kind of mess was made of the meat. After seeing nearly a hundred roadkilled deer come through my friend's butcher shop, I'm loathe to take one anymore. Some that looked as though they'd be fine for processing with the hide on were just a mess once skinned. The best was the six point hit by the local VFD's hose truck on the way to a call...