• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brad Eden

• john mcg

• Okhotnik

• salmontogue

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

FWIW. Orvis is a UJ Ad Sponsor and contacted me without solicitation. They are committed to the Upland market and supporting this Upland discussion community, and help pay for this playground. They ar

I am not either. I can’t watch hunting shows or videos for this reason. Our blood sports have become somewhat a competitive sport with plenty of ammo floating around out there for the antis to use. Mo

They also donate 5% of pre-tax profits to conservation and have for many years. That’s far more than the cool kids are promoting with the “2% for conservation” campaign but somehow Orvis doesn’t get t

Posted Images

I wonder if they will remove the African taxidermy mounts from their stores. Glad my kids didn't get me any Cabelas or Bass pro gift cards for Christmas. Think I'm completely done with them.

I have been a long time customer of cabelas.  Have a club card that has a lot of points on it.  I've been trying to use them up and then cancel the card.  

I have a trip planned for Saturday and needed a couple things.  I placed an order 12 days ago and received 2nd day FedEx shipping. Order still hasn't been received. FedEx tracking says that no one was home last 5 days.  That's total bull.  I called Cabelas customer service and they told me to call FedEx. I responded that I didn't order anything from FedEx, I ordered from them and they chose to ship it FedEx and that I thought the shipper would pay more attention to them than me.  Their response was that FedEx wouldn't pay anymore attention to them than me.

I explained that as soon as my points were used up I would no longer be a Cabelas customer. In a nice way, of course. 🙂

1 hour ago, Willieb said:

I have been a long time customer of cabelas.  Have a club card that has a lot of points on it.  I've been trying to use them up and then cancel the card.  

I have a trip planned for Saturday and needed a couple things.  I placed an order 12 days ago and received 2nd day FedEx shipping. Order still hasn't been received. FedEx tracking says that no one was home last 5 days.  That's total bull.  I called Cabelas customer service and they told me to call FedEx. I responded that I didn't order anything from FedEx, I ordered from them and they chose to ship it FedEx and that I thought the shipper would pay more attention to them than me.  Their response was that FedEx wouldn't pay anymore attention to them than me.

I explained that as soon as my points were used up I would no longer be a Cabelas customer. In a nice way, of course. 🙂

Not to get any more off topic but I have had similar issues with fedex not delivering to my business when I m sitting right there. I've also contacted fed ex and called the local police because the driver on my home route speeds through the neighborhood and hardly blinks at the stops signs. when  have a choice in the matter I don't choose shipping with them.

FWIW per your list. LLBean was never a major "American" outfitter, but more of a provincial outdoor gear supplier. They expanded to the non-consumptive outdoor crowd to stay alive, and still have a dedicated Hunting/Fishing retail presence.

I'm not defending Cabelas or anyone really, but can't help but note that Upland hunters seem to despise outdoor retailers in general because they don't cater to them, which is understandable given they are a niche market in the scheme of things. That's still no excuse for poor customer service etc.

This isn't good news but I'll wait to see more news on this rather than rely solely on one pro staffers commentary and interview.

PartridgeCartridge

I can remember drooling over Cabela's catalogs when they used to sell some of the best outdoor gear. Kinda sad to see them tank like this.

I ordered a pair of Meinl hiking boot from Cabelas over late summer/early fall.  They came and did not fit. Sent them back and waited for the correct size.  After waiting 4-6 weeks we called them. The response was they did not have the size and were going to refund the money.  Check sent, never received.  Called again, said they would resend.  STILL WAITING!!!!  No more Cabelas for me. 

Their 5% military discount is nice . . . except they dropped it on anything related to firearms and ammo.  My last trip to Cabela's, I picked up a couple pairs of their Ulti-Max socks, which I really like.  And I also like their Herters 16ga shotshells, which are about the cheapest around--especially when on sale.  Other than that and maybe some panfish poppers, I don't have much interest either.  And to think it was not all that long ago that they gave me a nice refund (in store credit) because I didn't know about the military discount when I bought a pretty expensive shotgun from one of their Gun Libraries.  Now they won't remove the trigger lock until after you've bought the gun, which makes it impossible to check trigger pull.

Painting with a big brush here but if a business is still trying to run the way it did 40 years ago then they are most likely not going to survive.

Upland hunters, especially of a certain age group, sure are a wierd bunch.

i just dont need a lot thats upland related anymore but when I do, Cabelas and Gander are on the list. 

Their (Cabela's, etc) problem is that my demographic where the most hunters reside aren't in the accumulation phase of life and the hunting demographic that would be in the accumulation phase is pretty dam small and shrinking (based on my teaching of Hunter Ed). 

Maybe Cabela's should start selling Golf equipment. You know Golf clubs, Golf balls, Golf shirts, gloves, shoes and some nice nickers. I'm pretty sure that would improve their bottom line.

It's all pretty sad, Cabelas, LL Bean, Eddie Bauer, and Orvis have all setup shop in Richmond.  All three are clustered around a high end mall, and that's exactly the type of retailer they've become.  EB actually has shut down now, LL Bean has ZERO hunting gear in the store...not a stitch, but a fairly massive display of the duck boots which are very popular with suburban teens.  Orvis has maybe two racks of upland clothes, 80% of the store is casual clothing and dog toys.  The Cabelas, as stated, is now more crappy food and toy retailer best I can see, they have one pair of upland pants in this location.  

I know we're not in the "good ole days", but man the pickings are slim.  

36 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

Maybe Cabela's should start selling Golf equipment. You know Golf clubs, Golf balls, Golf shirts, gloves, shoes and some nice nickers. I'm pretty sure that would improve their bottom line.

I am not a golfer nor will never be. This may be a good idea for Cabelas bottom line. However the term golf “club” sounds so violent, maybe time for a new term so as not to be so offensive.

8 minutes ago, grouse28 said:

I am not a golfer nor will never be. This may be a good idea for Cabelas bottom line. However the term golf “club” sounds so violent, maybe time for a new term so as not to be so offensive.

How about "Golf ball launching device" ? 😀