REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Okhotnik

Last nail in Cabela’s coffin

Okhotnik

Weird that Cabela’s , a hunting outfitter, thinks  that sportsmen posing with harvested game would offend their customer base. 

Should have been been more specific in post. Plus of course their complete lack of customer service.

its more of a cultural shift in our urbanized country 

Brad Eden

This will go "viral" in the sporting/hunting social media arena, and looks like it already has. Cabelas/Corporate will eventually make a statement. I'm gonna wait until I read that before I set that last nail. Reminds me of when Muck Boots got boycotted because they donated to HSUS...when in fact an employee misspoke/wrote that and they actually donated to a local animal shelter. That was years ago and I still see that people on So-Chill media haven't gotten the correct message and bash Muck all the time because of this. Will be interesting nonetheless.

UplandHntr

Id hate to come back to this thread or one of the many others in 10 years that are similar saying- WTH Amazon wont sell me XXX XXX. I used to get it from Cabelas but their price got too high and it took 4 days to be shipped to me and Walmart doesnt carry 7/8 oz 16ga anymore. 

The voice of caution regards, 

Good Day

Jacksdad

The store in Christiana De has gone down the toilet.  More toys, less actual hunting gear.  Bass pro has sucked for years and this association will be the ruin of cabelas.  

bmeador
1 hour ago, chilly460 said:

It's all pretty sad, Cabelas, LL Bean, Eddie Bauer, and Orvis have all setup shop in Richmond.  All three are clustered around a high end mall, and that's exactly the type of retailer they've become.  EB actually has shut down now, LL Bean has ZERO hunting gear in the store...not a stitch, but a fairly massive display of the duck boots which are very popular with suburban teens.  Orvis has maybe two racks of upland clothes, 80% of the store is casual clothing and dog toys.  The Cabelas, as stated, is now more crappy food and toy retailer best I can see, they have one pair of upland pants in this location.  

I know we're not in the "good ole days", but man the pickings are slim.  

Greentop!!!!!!!!

25/06

I bet the anti hunting activist that look to drive a wedge between outdoorsmen do not shop at Cabela's either but what they do is write letters.

You guys that write here and say you used to spend big at Cabela's but are no longer a customer.I Sincerely hope you take the time to send them a note to tell why

you are no longer a customer.

Even if you only shop there a little and get their catalog you are a proven customer and that speaks to these people. I am not telling to you stop going there

that is up to you, I am telling you to make sure they know why.

The social media tactics the antis use work. They anti hunters isolated the trappers as cruel and cleaved them away from the larger sporting community. They Isolated the big game hunters who use hounds away from "Ethical" Hunters. Now they found another Niche, don't worry they will circle back for another group. Guys with sxs and dogs may get to be the last?

It took them a couple of decades to turn trapping from a very effective wildlife management tool into a fringe sport but with social media they move

way faster now days.

Jacksdad

I’m sure most here know of Rogers.  Great place to get shells and assorted hunting gear.  

salmontogue

Rogers is totally reliable and runs great sales.

Perk

Dick Sellers

We used to have 2 pretty nice, family owned for several generations, all-around sporting goods stores in my little town.  One just went out of business and the other one just bought and moved into that empty space (much larger building).  I buy everything there.

By the way, both these locally owned stores have been big supporters of our PF, DU. RME, NRA, etc chapters.

salmontogue

Cabelas/BassPro will respond to outdoorsmen if enough of us call, email and complain in person.  Perhaps they need some constructive feedback to get back on track.  Simply walking away without those conversations is not helpful.  If you can get to marketing or executive management rather than at the store level, you will likely make a far greater impact.  Try it.  You may be surprised.

Perk

john mcg

I called Cabelas corporate last week regarding their gun sales policy.

Crickets.

snapt

I'll take the unpopular road as usual and say I get it. There's been some fairly tasteless display of 'sportsmanship' in the news of late in regards to African hunting. See the ID F&G commissioner who recently resigned after some questionable though legal photos surfaced.

Hunting is on the decline, though there is a small bright spot of younger folks taking it up for reasons outside of trophy hunting. Anything they can do to encourage this new class of hunter rather than turn them off is understandable.

The pro staffers going to Africa and getting their gear for free aren't keeping the lights on at Cabela's, that's for sure. I don't shop there because the Sportsman's/Walmart next door often have a better selection and much better prices, but this certainly wouldn't be a reason for me not to if they ever became more competitive.

YMMV.

dogrunner
15 minutes ago, john mcg said:

I called Cabelas corporate last week regarding their gun sales policy.

Crickets.

I hear ya. I emailed them about an issue a few months ago, got no response. 

chilly460
51 minutes ago, bmeador said:

Greentop!!!!!!!!

Yep, hit it all the time, it's where I bought my Carharrt Upland pants, Banded upland jacket, and 90% of my firearms.  

salmontogue

Cabela's LLC

1 Cabelas Dr
Sidney, NE 69162-3028
Phone: 1 (308) 254-5505
Fax: 1 (308) 254-6669