REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Okhotnik

Last nail in Cabela’s coffin

john mcg

Just now got off the phone with Corporate again regarding their policy on delays at gun purchase.

I spoke with the guy who is responsible for writing and managing gun sales policies.

No joy.

All actual corporate level players are now in Springfield, MO at what they call 'BaseCamp'.

417-873-5000

Spin
10 hours ago, Okhotnik said:

http://thehuntingnews.com/cabelas-banning-african-hunting-pictures-from-pro-staff/

you can buy kid’s bikes and licorice now at Cabelas.

Remember America’s outfitters?

Herters

Edfie Bauer

Ll bean

Very sad

You forgot Ambercrombie & Fitch , the original America's Outfitter and a regular Disneyland for lovers of the Outdoors. For some time now just another clothes retailer.

mccuha

why would they need to respond after sportsmen sent them letters and phone calls. The owner of both Cabelas and BP is supposed to be a big sportsman. He should know without a letter or call. This is the people he built his empire off of.  

Skybuster

My Cabela's Club VISA was trashed a couple months back. Their union with Bass Pro and the unfavorable reorganization that followed was reason enough for moving on. I am fortunate to have local merchants specializing in reloading supplies, guns, tackle, and related sports items. No more big box stores with cheap goods and high prices. 

atticus
44 minutes ago, snapt said:

I'll take the unpopular road as usual and say I get it. There's been some fairly tasteless display of 'sportsmanship' in the news of late in regards to African hunting. See the ID F&G commissioner who recently resigned after some questionable though legal photos surfaced.

Can you elaborate on this? Did the fish and game guy have to resign due to trophy pics of legally taken African animals? Also, is it tasteless to have such photos? Why would African game photos be looked at differently than of elk, sheep or deer? 

Are trophy picture now considered tasteless now because of Cecil etc? Or have they always been so and I just didn’t know?  

Full disclosure—I have a bunch on the walls of my office along with several skins on the floor. 

john mcg
1 minute ago, atticus said:

Can you elaborate on this? Did the fish and game guy have to resign due to trophy pics of legally taken African animals? Also, is it tasteless to have such photos? Why would African game photos be looked at differently than of elk, sheep or deer? 

Are trophy picture now considered tasteless now because of Cecil etc? Or have they always been so and I just didn’t know?  

Full disclosure—I have a bunch on the walls of my office along with several skins on the floor. 

I can verify---I have seen them--the nicest mancave I've ever seen, by the way.

LOL

fishvik

I drove back to the Midwest this summer and instead stopping for a rest at rest stops I stopped at some Bass Pro and Cabelas. Sidney, NE; Altona, IA; Mitchell, SD and Billings, MT. All of the stores had great personnel and each seemed to have a local emphasis for hunting and fishing in the area. I have quit ordering anything from them. I like their brand of heavy socks. I'm lucky that along with a Cabela's  here in town, we also have a Sportsman's Warehouse which hasn't gone to the dark side.

Curt

Rather than join the herd here I think I'll wait and watch before passing any judgment on Cabela's/BassPro.  I've owned and operated a business in my working life and the truth is that if you want the bottom line to be in the black you sometimes have to make changes as market conditions warrant.  There's a long list of outdoor companies that didn't change with the markets and are no longer in business.  We'd all like things to be the way they were thirty years ago but they just aren't and that's a fact.

fishvik
4 minutes ago, atticus said:

The idiot showed no class in the way he displayed the photos. An example is a staged photo of a baboon family he shot with his crossbow where they are all propped up looking like a quaint family gathering, with a young baboon resting it's head on one of the adults. Then he bragged about it. It was inappropriate at almost any but the extremely lowest level of respect for game.

Brad Eden

The ID wildlife official apparently went on a safari hunt with his wife and they shot a fair share of game And they did the requisite posed Photos. Problem was he posed with a "Family" of baboons he killed with his bow apparently, 4 in all. (How he managed that with a bow makes me scratch my noggin) But he did kill the baboons and emailed a slew of people all the photos of the animals they killed. That photo of baboons is what started an uproar. I think this was back in October. Not sure if that had any impact on what Cabelas is said to have done. I went to the Cabelas Pro Staff page and man do they have a slew. Couldn't find any photo gallery and the bios only have one photo with copy. 

Oops, Fishvic beat me to the reply button.

BlacknTan
4 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

The ID wildlife official apparently went on a safari hunt with his wife and they shot a fair share of game And they did the requisite posed Photos. Problem was he posed with a "Family" of baboons he killed with his bow apparently, 4 in all. (How he managed that with a bow makes me scratch my noggin) But he did kill the baboons and emailed a slew of people all the photos of the animals they killed. That photo of baboons is what started an uproar. I think this was back in October. Not sure if that had any impact on what Cabelas is said to have done. I went to the Cabelas Pro Staff page and man do they have a slew. Couldn't find any photo gallery and the bios only have one photo with copy. 

Oops, Fishvic beat me to the reply button.

This "hunter's" parents must be very proud!

snapt

https://www.idahostatejournal.com/news/local/fish-and-game-official-resigns-amid-massive-backlash-over-his/article_54a3b328-e1e6-55c2-9195-1e4a6e02c0cb.html

I think this quote from the article is pretty well said. Perhaps this is what Cabela's has on their mind.

“Regardless of the reason, it is the photo that has everyone in an outrage,” Christensen said. “The worst thing you can do as a hunter is turn a non-hunter into an anti-hunter, and I think the photo of the baboon family did just that.”

Rob R
2 hours ago, bmeador said:

Greentop!!!!!!!!

X3  (and like stores)

for years I traveled to the Richmond area for sales and always stopped in at Greentop. They have about all I need for hunting, shooting and fishing. Haven’t been there in about 5 years as we moved and they’re about 2 1/2 hours away now, but they had a BassPro and a Gander Mountain within about a mile. Last time there was very pleased to see that Gander gave up and Greentop I think moved in to their larger location. Nice to see the small guy stand up and win against the big boxers. I’ve never ever enjoyed shopping at a Bass Pro, but did like Cabela’s. They certainly have a right to change as they feel the need to survive, but they’ll do it without my money. Supporting the “Greentop’s” around us just makes sense. 

oak stob

Legal...is oftentimes a sad enabler and a worse justification for a decision.

Brad Eden
5 minutes ago, oak stob said:

Legal...is oftentimes a sad enabler and a worse justification for a decision.

Like them dang road sluicers of Partridge in Maine! 

IMG_0955.JPG

I admit to being amused at the thought of the Cabelas Corporate PR people scrambling to come up with a statement. Because they are.