REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Okhotnik

Last nail in Cabela’s coffin

jeff88

..back to Cabela's stores.  Was never a big fan.  Thought they blew it by opening huge retail outlets right around the time that on-line shopping was starting up.  In fact, their catalog was ideal for moving from a mail-based paper catalog to online sales.  They would have been smart to have combined both into a smaller store with high end gear such as firearms in particular where selling F2F is better and regulations for local sales easier to navigate.  The store would then have screens open to less costly merchandise and the store would act as the local returns/pick-up center if needed.  That would have been the ideal set-up.  Their margins would have been higher and cost of goods sold lower.  

LL Bean, I have liked them a lot since the mid- '70's.  They basically re-set what customers thought about customer service by always standing behind their merchandise.  They still have really good service but have tightened up the screws on what is or is not considered 100% guaranteed.  I bought a pair of their boots that are going back once WC season is over in TX as they leak and I know that they will exchange them with an apology.  

As for firearms, just had my 1st experience with Briley in Houston - not only would I buy there again, I give them two thumbs up.  Heard that Gordy & Son here in HOU is also really good.  Dick's has been selling shotgun ammo at better prices than Gander did which is now of course closed.  BTW, at Dick's, I can pick up shotgun shells and golf balls among other outdoors items in one trip.    

My take this is an ever changing marketplace and has always been that way.  

quailguy
18 hours ago, Okhotnik said:

http://thehuntingnews.com/cabelas-banning-african-hunting-pictures-from-pro-staff/

you can buy kid’s bikes and licorice now at Cabelas.

Remember America’s outfitters?

Herters

Edfie Bauer

Ll bean

Very sad

Corporate America has the b***$ of a salamander. Any sort of hateful social media campaign will get 95 out of 100 American corporations to roll over and play dead. That is not something peculiar to Cabelas.   

Okhotnik
1 hour ago, Greg Hartman said:

Just curious... 

Are baboons legal game for which one must have a license, permit, etc; or are they African varmints that are shot on sight?  May females and juveniles be shot? From my VERY limited knowledge of baboons (zoos and Nat Geo films), it sure wouldn't be hard to kill them.

Also, does one eat baboons?  Or do the locals eat them like they apparently do with elephants, cape buffalo and other large African critters?  If not, what does one do with dead baboons?

Please excuse the dumb questions.

Locals hunt and eat baboons. Meat is not wasted . 

Baboons are considered a pest in Africa like a skunk or raccoon. Hunters are encouraged to shoot them in Africa because they’re too many of them.

and the guy legally shot them. With a recurve not a crossbow. 

I haven’t shot a baboon or leopard and would not choose to. The sportsmen broke no laws or ethics of hunting.

living in hypersensitive times. 

Your trophy  pic of a hun or grouse might be next . I originally posted this because of a cultural shift and and opposition to hunting.

Blame this trend on social media or an urbanization of America .

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/morning-mix/wp/2018/10/15/i-shot-a-whole-family-of-baboons-idaho-fish-and-game-official-faces-fury-after-africa-trophy-hunting-boasts/

atticus

I took a look at the pics that guy in Idaho posted and agree the photos of the baboons were in poor taste and showed disrespect to the animal. 

I can try to answer some other questions but my experience in Africa is certainly not what others have done. Also, there are folks who just don't like this kind of hunting.  I respect their opinion and do not expect to change minds, just provide some insights from my experiences.

1-baboons,  they are a pest in most areas and do cause a lot of damage. An internet search of the issue along the cape of good hope will show the damage to homes and property.  I shot one in Namibia in '08 at the request of my guide.  The baboons had caused lots of damage on the cattle ranch we were hunting for leopard on, tearing down phone lines, wires, getting into buildings, etc.  The animal was not used for food and unfortunately, my shot hit the back of his skull, ruining what I thought would be a very interesting addition to my collection of European mounts.  Baboons have some of the largest canine teeth in the animal kingdom.  Some operations do charge a fee for taking Baboons. 

2-I would say that nearly all animals are used for food.  Unlike here in the US, wild game can and is sold in stores.  I've shot jackals and hyena that were not eaten.  Other than those animals, Ive eaten part of everything I have shot overseas and the rest was either given to the locals or sold at the market.  Sometimes I think people think an elephant gets shot, its tusks get cut out and the rest is left in the field.  That's what the poachers do.  Legally taken game gets used.

3-Costs, Ive posted at length here about the costs of hunting in Africa.  Its not as expensive as most folks think. If you are hunting the big 5 and getting lots of taxidermy done then yes, you are breaking the bank.  However, if you shop for hunts, get European mounts which are dramatically less than shoulder mounts both in taxidermy and shipping costs, and use FF miles to book your flights, borrow rifles instead of owning a high end double, you can do it for less than a guided elk hunt in the West.  My last trip cost me about 4 thousand for the hunting part.  That's a lot of money, however, I saved up for it, was there for 9 days and shot 8 animals (5 game home as European mounts) not counting several evenings of dove and grouse shooting.  

3-high fence- yup, there's a lot of that in South Africa. The really distasteful part is the "canned" lion hunts --lett them out and shoot them...hardly hunting.  When I hunted South Africa in '04, I hunted on a vast (100K HA) conservancy with only cattle fencing. My understanding is that there are still non high fence hunts in Kwazulu Natal, western and eastern capes and other areas.  There are also giant conservancies in Namibia. The one I hunted last time had only a high fence on 2 sides --1 was the border with Etosha National Park and 1 next to an adjacent farm.  They are quite high but I saw a kudu go over one like it wasn't there and was told Eland (a giant antelope) can do it too.  The fences have no effect on predators which go under and through them or Elephants which tear them down.

4--"African" model of conservation. If it pays, it stays.  What most folks in the west think of as cute elephants like babar--not the eating machines that can and do destroy a farmers crop in a night or two.  And think of lions as simba, not the apex predators which will eat their cattle and goats.  The locals cannot go to Walmart and replenish supplies--its their livelihood and means of feeding their family and will kill or poison those animals to protect their property.  Isn't that what ranchers do in areas with wolves? Wouldn't any one of us do the same if a coyote, wolf or bear attacked our dogs?

The "greenies" as they are called in Africa, are the those same folks call the cops when there is a bear or coyote in the neighborhood. Imagine having lions, leopards, elephants, hyenas, crocodiles in your neighborhood and having someone 5000 miles away saying you should just get used to it...

As for Cabela's, if that's what they think is best for their business that's their decision.  I'll make my decision on where I spend my money as I see fit too. Being a advertiser on UJ helps me make that decision.

oak stob
21 minutes ago, Okhotnik said:

...Your trophy  pic of a hun or grouse might be next . I originally posted this because of a cultural shift and and opposition to hunting....

Doubt that but, if I ever shoot enough ruffed grouse(yes, I know), I also would hope to stage them for a photo op destined to impress the folks back home.

The tableau presented would be representing......Circus Night at Applewood.

A woodcock would hopefully serve as Ringmaster.

It would be really neat.

"Hunters" would be well served to clean up their own act re some of the dumb non-PC stuff that goes on in a shrinking world.....rather than wait for others to man the brooms sweeping in only one direction.

Not holding my breath tho.

Okhotnik
3 hours ago, Speaks said:

I will still wait and and see if there is truth to this. They are still selling african hunts on their website  https://www.cabelas.com/assets/cms/img/CLUB/signatureoutdooradventures/adventures.html

I see Botswana Plains Game and South African Cape Buffalo as options. The add is complete with pictures of kills.

Maybe she is full of it, or there is more to the story. 

Oh they’ll still sell and take the money

my point is social media has shut down hunting pics and Cabela’s caved in.

my conversation is why is this happening?

pa'tridge hunters

I have a bike. Really don't expect to buy another one, but if they want to sell them it's their business. I rarely go in to the store in Scarborough. If they have something I need, I'll go in.

fourtrax57
10 hours ago, grouse28 said:

I am not a golfer nor will never be. This may be a good idea for Cabelas bottom line. However the term golf “club” sounds so violent, maybe time for a new term so as not to be so offensive.

How do you put a "trigger lock" on a golf club?

Most likely Cabelas is D.O.A> for me.

BlacknTan
27 minutes ago, oak stob said:

"Hunters" would be well served to clean up their own act re some of the dumb non-PC stuff that goes on in a shrinking world.....rather than wait for others to man the brooms sweeping in only one direction.

Not holding my breath tho.

Never was a huge fan of "whack 'em and stack 'em" of any kind. Who are "we" trying to impress?? Ourselves??

john mcg

We, as a community, will need a consensus on many issues in the future and should best use the tools available to do so.

Tools that are leveraged to great effect by other congealed folks. Attacks can be reckless and affective. Defense not so much.

Many things are changing and are sure to do so much more down the road.

Speaks
56 minutes ago, Okhotnik said:

Oh they’ll still sell and take the money

my point is social media has shut down hunting pics and Cabela’s caved in.

my conversation is why is this happening?

My point is I doubt the validity of her claim. I have seen former employees say and post all kinds of lies about companies that they left from or were let go from. She seems a bit disgruntled about a number of things. 1  she never got free stuff, 2 she was banned from one store for "voicing her opinion" on some undisclosed subject and now had a longer commute, 3 she was not paid millage for visiting stores. 

She never shared the email showing who in "corporate" it was from or what they actually said she could or could not do. Could have been some low level guy giving his opinion on a post, I have had managers working for me that sometimes give direction that is not our corporate policy, even specifically on social media and what is or is not appropriate to post. 

Given that Cabela's still sells these hunts and actively advertises them and still had in store mounts last time I was there I doubt there is a corporate decision to shun this type of hunting or ban its posting on social media by its employees, or in this case a contractor. 

I am certainly not saying that it is impossible that they are going this way, I am a bit disenchanted with Cabela's for a variety of reasons, but for the whole community to condemn them for what one disgruntled former employee claimed on social media seems a bit rash. Lets all see what the facts are when they come out before we condemn them for this specific issue. 

WI Outdoor Nut
4 hours ago, stripersonfly said:

Believe it or not, there are some whacko's out there who think hunting birds is evil.   So I think it is important for all hunters to try and understand and stick up for one another.

You should have seen the protests, yes protests, at the spring hearings going back about 10 years ago in Madison, when the vote was coming to have the ability to shoot mourning doves. 

Dave Quindt
14 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

I'm not defending Cabelas or anyone really, but can't help but note that Upland hunters seem to despise outdoor retailers in general because they don't cater to them, which is understandable given they are a niche market in the scheme of things.

Evergreen statement, especially if this whole dust-up turns out to be nonsense 

quailguy
28 minutes ago, WI Outdoor Nut said:

You should have seen the protests, yes protests, at the spring hearings going back about 10 years ago in Madison, when the vote was coming to have the ability to shoot mourning doves. 

I used to hunt pheasants on an orchard in PA; when I asked about dove hunting I was told “no they are the bird of peace from the Bible”.  There was absolutely no telling this guy that those “doves” in the Bible were actually pigeons and our doves had nothing to do with birds in the Bible. And this man hunted elk every year. 

It’s  not just PETA nut cases.   

grouse28
2 hours ago, BlacknTan said:

Never was a huge fan of "whack 'em and stack 'em" of any kind. Who are "we" trying to impress?? Ourselves??

I am not either. I can’t watch hunting shows or videos for this reason. Our blood sports have become somewhat a competitive sport with plenty of ammo floating around out there for the antis to use. Most of it embarrasses me! Society seems to have lost it’s collective restraints on many levels, hunting being one.