REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Okhotnik

Last nail in Cabela’s coffin

Cold Iron
15 hours ago, Larry Brown said:

Their 5% military discount is nice . . . except they dropped it on anything related to firearms and ammo.  My last trip to Cabela's, I picked up a couple pairs of their Ulti-Max socks, which I really like.  And I also like their Herters 16ga shotshells, which are about the cheapest around--especially when on sale.  Other than that and maybe some panfish poppers, I don't have much interest either.  And to think it was not all that long ago that they gave me a nice refund (in store credit) because I didn't know about the military discount when I bought a pretty expensive shotgun from one of their Gun Libraries.  Now they won't remove the trigger lock until after you've bought the gun, which makes it impossible to check trigger pull.

Hope you have stashed away a bunch of those 16 ga. shells. I have 14 flats and wish I had more. They no longer list 1 oz. 16 ga. Herters and the 7.5 are 1 1/8 oz. For the last couple of sales they have been selling them by the box instead of the case. Many, me included, are afraid that there may not be anymore in our future. Sure hope we are wrong.

Got a text from a friend in Owatonna today that the Cabelas there has absolutely no Herters shells in stock. At all, in any gauge.

salmontogue
8 hours ago, pa'tridge hunters said:

I have a bike. Really don't expect to buy another one, but if they want to sell them it's their business. I rarely go in to the store in Scarborough. If they have something I need, I'll go in.

Scarborough Cabelas is a trek for you and an expedition for me.  It has to be good for me to make a dedicated trip.

Perk

salmontogue
8 hours ago, fourtrax57 said:

How do you put a "trigger lock" on a golf club?

Most likely Cabelas is D.O.A> for me.

A recent Wall Street Journal article quoted a Cabelas exec who said that online sales are only 20% of their business.  I was amazed that it is not more.

Perk

doodlecrazy

This is what I know. My closest friend of over 25 years was the regional buyer in the marine and camping departments out of Sidney. His wife, another close friend of mine, was the lead HR representative there. Both resigned a few months after the BPS "merger." They had very good reasons imo. It's a shame really. Cabelas was one of my favorites.

Brad Eden

Anti-hunting propaganda has been around for centuries. It's simply more acute and destructive and infectious with the reach of So-Chill media these days. And it's influencing companies.

Hunters pose for photos with deer, moose, antelope, elephant, Huns, coyotes, grouse, squirrels, lions, Woodcock, baboons, on and on and on. Some are tasteful, and well orchestrated, with a nice angle, backdrop, pose, tongue shoved back in mouth, feathers smoothed, cute dog, respectful smile, nice double gun, blahdiddlyblah....many look like crap with dog drooled and bloody birds stacked on muddy tailgates, smiling fat men holding a deer head out as far as possible to make the antlers look big, etc., etc., because not everybody is an art director playing photographer. Look at the various Pinned photo Topics both bird and big game on Board. The above applies, yet we seem to have particularly aesthetically talented Members here and most of the dead animal photos are quite artistic and appealing. It's when there appears to be an excess of protein stacked that hackles get raised, even here on ole UJ. Murmurings of overkill and hints of overlimits creep into my Moderating duties. Jealousy, indignance at perceived bragging, concern for the resource? Posting or "sharing" hunting images is so easy and transparent now  that common sense needs to be employed before emailing out African kill photos (or any photos) including a "family" of baboons or even a giraffe or a maned lion to 100's of people. I refuse to hide in the shadows as far as my killing of animals (I don't harvest) but I also don't feel like I need everyone in the world to see them. 

Larry Brown
8 hours ago, Cold Iron said:

Hope you have stashed away a bunch of those 16 ga. shells. I have 14 flats and wish I had more. They no longer list 1 oz. 16 ga. Herters and the 7.5 are 1 1/8 oz. For the last couple of sales they have been selling them by the box instead of the case. Many, me included, are afraid that there may not be anymore in our future. Sure hope we are wrong.

Got a text from a friend in Owatonna today that the Cabelas there has absolutely no Herters shells in stock. At all, in any gauge.

I don't have that many, but I do have several flats.  I also reload them.  They reload well, make nice 7/8 oz target loads, decent crimps.  Unfortunately, you can't get many reloads from them.  Case mouth splits after 2 or 3 reloads.

stwilgefortis

I guess i’m a bit out of it, because I love the old clothes and gear I have used for years, and I take great pride in the fact that it still works well and suits my purposes. So other than buying a Cabelas wading jacket about 10 years ago and an ll bean goretex bird jacket and brush pants 5 or more years ago, I’ve stayed with my low tech ,old stuff-Filson tin cloth jacket and chaps, beat up wrangler nylon faced brush pants(jeans) ,etc. Years ago a sportswriter for our local paper wrote a delightful article about how no self respecting hunter would show up at a dove hunt with new clothes or gear. if it were new, he’d of soiled it and buried it in his backyard and then left it out in the rain  for weeks before ever wearing it in public.new gear was having greenhorn stamped on one’s forehead and taboo.

That being said, I am interested in innovation, but I kind of wait and see before springing for new stuff .like most of you, i’ve noticed a decline in the amount and quality of the outdoor gear many of the big name retailers sell. the emphasis all seems to be on casual clothing, not hunting and fishing gear.I can’t find good, lightweight, breathable orange shirts, nor lightweight orange nylon ball caps to bird hunt in in warm weather. Anyone who knows where these can be found, I’d be grateful. i been wondering if any of the college teams that wear orange ( Florida, Syracuse,Tennessee,Oregon state,Oklahoma state,etc) would have  an orange dry fit type of hat that their tennis teams wear for sale.the orange shirts I have were from bean, but don’t fit very well and they tend to fade. lord knows I don’t want to be in the aspen clearcuts in Wisconsin in mid October in only minimal orange! help!

But back to the retailers.many are run by business school grads and advertising folks, who are pretty trend conscious.being an outdoors person isn’t a job pre requisite. so I think we should call,write, and make our feelings known, patronize those who listen and cater to us, and share the names of those who  produce and sell good gear.

Dave in Maine
21 hours ago, salmontogue said:

Cabela's LLC

1 Cabelas Dr
Sidney, NE 69162-3028
Phone: 1 (308) 254-5505
Fax: 1 (308) 254-6669

Send it by fax or snail mail.

Reason being, something I saw with people contacting their Congresscritters, state and federal.  Phone calls in the critters' offices are generally taken by some junior intern, likely a college student getting course credit in return for working for free.  She'll be earnest and show you attention mostly because she's too young and naive, thinking she can Change The World For Good, to know better.  And it's her job to quiet you down by showing you attention and making you feel like your opinion counts.  To the extent they make any record of the call, it's a "for" or "against" on a particular issue and that's it.  No room for nuance, nor for specific complaint.  Keep in mind, too, that the critters use that as a gauge of intensity of feeling at any one time, not to guide their choices.  

As to emails, when they come into critters' offices a lot of them are deleted without ever being read, or are just never read.  Period.  There's two reasons for this:  one is time for someone to take care of it,  two is the ease with which people can now CTRL+A+C+N+V a message and send it on.  In other words, emails get treated like spam.

This is in politicians' offices, where they allegedly have some accountability.  In the corporate marketing context, you've got some junior nobody charged with dealing with the phone calls and emails to the marketing department, but the voices that department listens to are (a) the company's creditors', (b) the CEO's, (c) the marketing department head's (he's usually in love with his own opinion and DGAS about customers' voices because he figures a quick sale on something or other will draw the suckers in.

When you send a fax or actual letter, AND NOT A FORM LETTER, someone actually has to deal with it.  That doesn't mean it won't land in the trash, but they can't just hit "delete" and ignore it.

Keep it to one page.  A drumbeat of one-pagers each on one issue would work better than a 20-page exegesis.  A 20-pager will hit the "crank pile" part of the trash unread.  Don't clog their system, but keep pecking away.  Be polite.  Write as one adult to another.  Be direct, be concise, be done.

bobman

I’m going to keep buying from Cabelas and Bass pro

if they have something that I need or want

just bought some long underwear that was a good deal and I also like their game processing equipment 

life goes on and bird bird hunters are little fish in a big ocean I’ve got more important things to worry about

Dave in Maine
9 hours ago, Cold Iron said:

Well, they dropped birdshot from their inventory, so they have rows of reloaders and some wads going unsold.  Probably can't figure why.

Last time I was in Scarborough they had all of one box ( a couple pounds) of #4 buckshot in the shotgun reloading aisle.  Still a decent selection of metallic stuff.

This is what happens when a hedge fund gets its claws into you.

quailguy
9 hours ago, grouse28 said:

I am not either. I can’t watch hunting shows or videos for this reason. Our blood sports have become somewhat a competitive sport with plenty of ammo floating around out there for the antis to use. Most of it embarrasses me! Society seems to have lost it’s collective restraints on many levels, hunting being one.

Watched a duck hunting in Argentina show the other day. For about 10 minutes. Camera focused right in on every kill shot.  Boom!!!

nothing about Argentina, nothing about the extant ecosystem and why the duck population is so high, Argentines may not, generally, own guns, etc, etc, uzw.  Whack em and stack em.   

Really nothing I saw about the lodge, the food, the guides. Damn if I want to fly to Argentina and be trapped in some hell hole for a week.   

quailguy
10 minutes ago, Dave in Maine said:

Well, they dropped birdshot from their inventory, so they have rows of reloaders and some wads going unsold.  Probably can't figure why.

Last time I was in Scarborough they had all of one box ( a couple pounds) of #4 buckshot in the shotgun reloading aisle.  Still a decent selection of metallic stuff.

This is what happens when a hedge fund gets its claws into you.

Amen to that. Profit is all, nothing else is considered.  

bobman

Did you point out to the manager that without birdshot the rest of their items are unusable 

I bet the people working there just don’t know better ( which is a problem in itself) 

I find it amazing how little people in sales know about their products. I’m the head of our engineering department and even our sales people frequently need schooling on what I thought was obvious. It’s a constant struggle to find qualified people or even trainable people. 

I look for people with the desire to really really understand what we do and it’s hard to find them.

I bet it’s really hard in retail type sales

Virgil Kane

In my feeble  opinion.  These stores/companies have delusions of grandeur.  Instead of finding their niche and being happy living within their means they want to compete with Apple or ExxonMobiil for gross sales profits. Adding more products that are not related to thee original store genre, reducing the original content of the store and opening more locations makes the bean counters happy but is the death of the store.  One time sales are worthless, repeat customers are GOLD.

Virgil 

UplandHntr

flat sales are unacceptable. Equity firms care about one thing - ROI. That means growth at all costs.