REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Okhotnik

Last nail in Cabela’s coffin

Dakota Dogman

I haven't really read this whole thread, just skimmed parts of it.  Are we really worried that a sporting good store is increasing the "sports" that they cover?

BIkeS!?!  OH NO!  What's next, team apparel?  Next thing they will end up like Scheel's all sports...

on wait, I like Scheel's and they are closer to home. I can go in there and get my sons wrestling head gear, check out the baseball bats, pass on the beautiful Pre '64 Win.  (again) sitting behind glass, drool over a spotting scope, pick up decent shoes and move on with life. 

Cabela's & Basspro are in a state of flux... these things don't happen instantly.  They aren't what they were and they aren't what they will be. They are not my twin babies so I have no allegiance to them. Then again they are not the tool of the Nazi's looking to subjugate the masses.  Too often we in the hunting community judge WAY to quickly and decide to kill off things that aren't perfect for us.  Remember hating Ruger & never going to buy one of those again! Oh wait, then it was S&W, with those AWFUL UGLY LOCKS! NO Self respecting shooter will EVER support them again by buying their products. Then they came out with the .500 S&W and the Shield line of semi-auto's. 

Time for a little less indignation and indigestion about things that in the long run don't make a hill of beans of difference.

No need to sell off all 16 gauge guns yet.

No need to burn your Cabela's t-shirts.

It's just life, and there is so much more to it than what a retail store does.

God bless,

Joel S.
11 hours ago, grouse28 said:

I am not either. I can’t watch hunting shows or videos for this reason. Our blood sports have become somewhat a competitive sport with plenty of ammo floating around out there for the antis to use. Most of it embarrasses me! Society seems to have lost it’s collective restraints on many levels, hunting being one.

Nominated for post of the year 2019

john mcg
13 minutes ago, Dakota Dogman said:

I haven't really read this whole thread, just skimmed parts of it.  Are we really worried that a sporting good store is increasing the "sports" that they cover?

BIkeS!?!  OH NO!  What's next, team apparel?  Next thing they will end up like Scheel's all sports...

on wait, I like Scheel's and they are closer to home. I can go in there and get my sons wrestling head gear, check out the baseball bats, pass on the beautiful Pre '64 Win.  (again) sitting behind glass, drool over a spotting scope, pick up decent shoes and move on with life. 

Cabela's & Basspro are in a state of flux... these things don't happen instantly.  They aren't what they were and they aren't what they will be. They are not my twin babies so I have no allegiance to them. Then again they are not the tool of the Nazi's looking to subjugate the masses.  Too often we in the hunting community judge WAY to quickly and decide to kill off things that aren't perfect for us.  Remember hating Ruger & never going to buy one of those again! Oh wait, then it was S&W, with those AWFUL UGLY LOCKS! NO Self respecting shooter will EVER support them again by buying their products. Then they came out with the .500 S&W and the Shield line of semi-auto's. 

Time for a little less indignation and indigestion about things that in the long run don't make a hill of beans of difference.

No need to sell off all 16 gauge guns yet.

No need to burn your Cabela's t-shirts.

It's just life, and there is so much more to it than what a retail store does.

God bless,

I'm not selling my 16 gauge gun--so there.

Dakota Dogman
2 hours ago, john mcg said:

I'm not selling my 16 gauge gun--so there.

I am trying! 😀

chilly460

One slight benefit of them closing, 16ga Herter's is $4.88 in store right now, I grabbed all the 1oz #8 they had.  The 1 1/8oz #5 Pheasant loads are $6.88 so grabbed a couple of them too, can't ever have too much 16ga stocked up. 

mccuha

I don't see a need for both stores. Why do you need both to compete with one another.(I can guess which one  will be the last one standing). I hope  they do like when Cabelas bought Herters, and keep some there best selling items in particular the Herters shells and as well the Cabelas fly shop which is usually better than most BP fly shops I've been in.

Marc Ret

There's been conflicting responses from Cabela's as to the discontinuation of the Herters line of shotshells. Given the changes BPS has made since the merger, it doesn't look promising for fans of that ammo. 

Brad Eden

FWIW. I spent my professional career in advertising and marketing (on the graphic design/art direction end). It's not unusual for a company that makes, lets say, electric boogy pickers and accessories to buy out a competitor that, let's say, makes battery operated boogy pickers and accessories. Happens all the time with sporting/hunting gear. Often times the company that now owns both types of boogy pickers initially keeps their new acquisition on the shelves, but doesn't market it and when inventory gets low they discontinue it. It's a way of eliminating your competition. This creates dismay and disgruntlement in those who prefer the battery operated boogy picker. BPS... Cabelas....

gundogpa

Apparently Cabelas has come out to say "there was some confusion" and they do support all hunting............

Hi JJ, thanks for reaching out to us. Bass Pro Shops and Cabela’s is steadfast in our support of hunting, which is a critical conservation tool for saving species in Africa and around the world. Our proud commitment is reflected through our decades of strong support for the conservation efforts of Dallas Safari Club and Safari Club International and throughout our stores, sponsored television shows, ambassadors and partnerships. Despite a recent misunderstanding causing some confusion on social media, we fully encourage our pro team members to share photos from their hunts and adventures around the world to help us promote legal and responsible hunting and a shared love of the outdoors. - Scott

Cold Iron
8 hours ago, Larry Brown said:

I don't have that many, but I do have several flats.  I also reload them.  They reload well, make nice 7/8 oz target loads, decent crimps.  Unfortunately, you can't get many reloads from them.  Case mouth splits after 2 or 3 reloads.

I normally reload the real Cheddite 16 ga. hulls for my doubles and Ithaca 37's, 7/8 oz. is all I use in those. But the new Sweet needs to eat 1 oz. to be happy. Up until now haven't even been worried about happens to those hulls but been saving them. The 16 is all I reload for anymore. Even though I have ~2,500 of the thicker Cheddite hulls now I am going to hang on to those Herters hulls and load them at 1 oz. and let them fly when the time comes. I can (could) buy them cheaper than I can reload them if using accurate numbers. Once you step up to buying Federal 16's that changes pretty fast, even on sale. I do like the Federal's though. Because 16 ga. hulls should be purple not Cheddite green LOL.

braque du upstate

It's all pretty sad . I walked out of dick's in disgust.  Gander mtn shut down . Orvis might have a dog toy , i haven't been back.  Mom and pop place has  raised prices to ridiculous levels. Double or triple Amazon.  Never in stock , he places a order.  80 year old blind / deaf guy proceeds to try and use a computer..... yeah i can plan ahead.  Sometimes i want to be able to walk in and buy a box of shells during duck season.  Walmart makes me  enter in my birthday. Show ID. They wont sell me 9mm ammo if i say its for a pistol  *without my pistol permit . Same cashier is happy to sell me 9mm for my carbine. I was pleased buying a few custom lures off a local forum.  Interweb can churn out artists like knotsmith. It's not all bad. I miss my local bait shop. The man who taught me to tie flys sold his shop . Manager at bass pros. He makes better money. Less headaches for him. 

Brad Eden
8 hours ago, braque du upstate said:

... . Orvis might have a dog toy , i haven't been back.  . 

I don't think so. Orvis has a load of good Upland gear. Just because every one of their brick and mortar might not stock brush pants and Alpha GPS collars doesn't mean they aren't committed to the Upland hunter.

Orvis Hunting Gear/Equipment

atticus
2 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

I don't think so. Orvis has a load of good Upland gear. Just because every one of their brick and mortar might not stock brush pants and Alpha GPS collars doesn't mean they aren't committed to the Upland hunter.

Orvis Hunting Gear/Equipment

And fly fishing gear. I think Orvis makes some of the best fly gear out there.  Top end rods, reels and gear. Their line of Recon fly rods are amazing. I haven’t cast their Helios rods enough to opine but the reviews on them is amazing too. 

On the upland front I am on my third pair of their upland boots. Absolutely love them. 

Rob R

While I’d really like Orvis to add upland gear and guns to our local store , I’ve always thought of them as a fine fly fishing shop. The rods and reels have never let me down, and my wife often finds nice clothes (bought 3 Christmas gifts there last month). Their return policy and staff are tops. 

For me it’s can I get what I want at a price I can accept and is the shopping experience and staff positive - Orvis and LL Bean yes, Cabela’s and Bass Pro not so much. 

oak stob

"Sweetheart, does this pair of camo boots make my legs look strong.....or should I go with the black ones?"

Orvis never appeared as a Cabelas or a Bass Pro, to me.

Just something different, something always is more present to fuel the imagination rather than the competition.