Last nail in Cabela’s coffin

Samuel Hoggson
1 hour ago, Spin said:

You forgot Ambercrombie & Fitch , the original America's Outfitter and a regular Disneyland for lovers of the Outdoors. For some time now just another clothes retailer.

My little Beretta AS20EL and 20 ga M-21 (DT, EJ, w/factory choke overstamp) both came out of A&F......but that was a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away. 

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brad Eden

• john mcg

• Okhotnik

• salmontogue

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

FWIW. Orvis is a UJ Ad Sponsor and contacted me without solicitation. They are committed to the Upland market and supporting this Upland discussion community, and help pay for this playground. They ar

I am not either. I can’t watch hunting shows or videos for this reason. Our blood sports have become somewhat a competitive sport with plenty of ammo floating around out there for the antis to use. Mo

They also donate 5% of pre-tax profits to conservation and have for many years. That’s far more than the cool kids are promoting with the “2% for conservation” campaign but somehow Orvis doesn’t get t

Posted Images

Being a 'bricks and mortar' retailer is very tough. They need mass markets and mass media to survive. The upland hunting market offers neither.

As a young man starting out in life I had access to Eddie Bauer and Abercrombie and Fitch in downtown San Francisco. They were top class outdoor retailers - full on and no apologies. I cannot imagine such a thing in SF now.

Go to your local sporting goods company or to the on-line specialty retailers that cater ONLY to te upland hunter. The business model is more sustainable

1 hour ago, fishvik said:

The idiot showed no class in the way he displayed the photos. An example is a staged photo of a baboon family he shot with his crossbow where they are all propped up looking like a quaint family gathering, with a young baboon resting it's head on one of the adults. Then he bragged about it. It was inappropriate at almost any but the extremely lowest level of respect for game.

For me, it ain't game unless I'm gonna eat it. 

That's me and I understand not everyone will feel this way. 

That said Cabelas undoing will be, imo, due to their association with the mountain dew & nascar crowd at Bass Pro Shops.  That company single handedly ruined the Mako name and will do the same with Cabelas.  Zero emphasis on quality, total emphasis on high profit junk.  Someone will hopefully fill the void.  I'm truly disgusted over it as I've been a fan of Cabelas 'Northern Flight' brand as well as their recent ultimate comfort line of pants.  friggin spandex casual work pants?  hell yeah!  but alas they are disappearing. 

The Cabelas at Christiana literally has more camo recliners on display than decoys. 

1 hour ago, atticus said:

Can you elaborate on this? Did the fish and game guy have to resign due to trophy pics of legally taken African animals? Also, is it tasteless to have such photos? Why would African game photos be looked at differently than of elk, sheep or deer? 

Are trophy picture now considered tasteless now because of Cecil etc? Or have they always been so and I just didn’t know?  

Full disclosure—I have a bunch on the walls of my office along with several skins on the floor. 

I’ll weigh in. As stupid as this sounds , and as correct as it is. I think the Jim Shockey  approach prophecy  to killing an animal saves two just sounds insane. While I have  friends who have hunted Africa , and have the full body mounts to prove it . It has a couple of stigmas associated with it . While I certainly have no want to do it, I’d never condemn anyone who does . 

First off is this , it’s ridicolously expensive. A few if the trips my friends have cost after mounts and travels expenses have topped 100k . Right there , that starts people hating you. Unfair, but true. Second,  people love elephants , period . Poaching or not, people can’t understsnd why anyone would want to shoot one , of these intelligent animals. After watching one go down via video, I have to say, it made me feel pretty sick. Not to anthropromophize any animal, but I think gorillas and elephants do that for more people. 

I think cabelas is smart for doing this, I think it will actually lead to more customers . There’s a heckuva lot more poeople that disagree with safari hunts, then agree with them. 

just  my two cents 

I won't fault a business doing what they feel they need to do in order to remain in business. If a niche customer base puts up litmus tests and takes their business elsewhere (which is their right), it will only accelerate a business's withdrawal from that area of business. From the business's point of view, the declining sales will be looked at as justification to leave that portion of their business. Cabela's is in the business of selling things,, it really does not matter to them whether it is a shirt or a gun. They will stock what sells.

5 hours ago, chilly460 said:

Orvis has maybe two racks of upland clothes, 80% of the store is casual clothing and dog toys. 

Ha, years ago my BIL once was a contract photographer for Orvis. I volunteered to model hunting clothes, fly rods, etc. Alas, the real money is in Women's clothing, and that is what he spent time photographing. Things haven't changed and probably gotten worse!

FWIW. Orvis is a UJ Ad Sponsor and contacted me without solicitation. They are committed to the Upland market and supporting this Upland discussion community, and help pay for this playground. They aren't beyond reproach nor mention in this context, but I won't allow them to be abused. 

48 minutes ago, GB Jack said:

I’ll weigh in. As stupid as this sounds , and as correct as it is. I think the Jim Shockey  approach prophecy  to killing an animal saves two just sounds insane. While I have  friends who have hunted Africa , and have the full body mounts to prove it . It has a couple of stigmas associated with it . While I certainly have no want to do it, I’d never condemn anyone who does . 

First off is this , it’s ridicolously expensive. A few if the trips my friends have cost after mounts and travels expenses have topped 100k . Right there , that starts people hating you. Unfair, but true. Second,  people love elephants , period . Poaching or not, people can’t understsnd why anyone would want to shoot one , of these intelligent animals. After watching one go down via video, I have to say, it made me feel pretty sick. Not to anthropromophize any animal, but I think gorillas and elephants do that for more people. 

I think cabelas is smart for doing this, I think it will actually lead to more customers . There’s a heckuva lot more poeople that disagree with safari hunts, then agree with them. 

just  my two cents 

You can hunt Africa cheaper than Alaska or many elk hunts now. You can hunt over there for around 5 to 6 k including airfare. And there is fantastic bird hunting there too in addition to big game. Obviously the big 5 will cost you more.

Elephant poaching is rampant in Africa and a great majority of money used for habitat and poaching enforcement comes from the evil hunters coming to Africa with tens of millions of dollars a year into local economies. Kind of like sportsmen here in America who turn out to be very good for wildlife management and conservation. 

Having hunted Africa I know all of the meat , including elephant, goes to local tribes and this meat is often their only source of protein.

14 minutes ago, Okhotnik said:

You can hunt Africa cheaper than Alaska or many elk hunts now. You can hunt over there for around 5 to 6 k including airfare. And there is fantastic bird hunting there too in addition to big game. Obviously the big 5 will cost you more.

Elephant poaching is rampant in Africa and a great majority of money used for habitat and poaching enforcement comes from the evil hunters coming to Africa with tens of millions of dollars a year into local economies. Kind of like sportsmen here in America who turn out to be very good for wildlife management and conservation. 

Having hunted Africa I know all of the meat , including elephant, goes to local tribes and this meat is often their only source of protein.

I think you’re getting your panties in a bundle when that was the exact opposite of my intent and post. I’m well aware of what poaching happens for elephants . I’m just stating , 90% of people think it sounds absolutely insane that killing an animal , and paying  10’s of millions” as you proposed is the only way to save the species . Think about it for a second. It’s basicay crafting elephant game farms , guarded , fenced areas where a person can come shoot an elephant . Fun

stripersonfly

Not sure I could pull the trigger on an elephant, and it is a moot point, because unless I win the lottery, I am never going to be able to afford the privilege.  But, I would also point out that I not sure how much I would like to hunt coyotes or wolves.  They are just too darn close to dogs, and I wonder what I might feel like if I was lucky enough to actually shoot one.  But these are my choices (or hang ups if you prefer).  I do not have any problem with those folks who choose to pursue these activities, as long as they are doing it responsibly, and in a sportsman like manner (i.e. fair chase,). 

In regards to big game hunting in Africa, I do believe that big game hunting is a vital tool in the management of many of the species there.  I also do believe that the funds that they bring in are very important in funding the ongoing conservation efforts for these animals.  I have been lead to believe that many of the hunts, especially for elephants, are animals that have been identified as a risk to humans, and who might need to be culled anyways. So why not take advantage of a win/win/win situation.  Hunter gets to hunt, wildlife issue is dealt with, funds for ongoing conservation/wildlife management are provided.

I realize that many people have an issue with big game hunting in Africa, but I am not comfortable saying that  we should not be vocal in our support.  In fact, I think it is somewhat of a short sighted approach.   Yes, many people feel hunting big game in Africa is wrong.  Many people think hunting wolves or bears or moose or deer is wrong.  Believe it or not, there are some whacko's out there who think hunting birds is evil.   So I think it is important for all hunters to try and understand and stick up for one another.

I will still wait and and see if there is truth to this. They are still selling african hunts on their website  https://www.cabelas.com/assets/cms/img/CLUB/signatureoutdooradventures/adventures.html

I see Botswana Plains Game and South African Cape Buffalo as options. The add is complete with pictures of kills.

Maybe she is full of it, or there is more to the story. 

Greg Hartman
5 hours ago, fishvik said:

The idiot showed no class in the way he displayed the photos. An example is a staged photo of a baboon family he shot with his crossbow where they are all propped up looking like a quaint family gathering, with a young baboon resting it's head on one of the adults. Then he bragged about it. It was inappropriate at almost any but the extremely lowest level of respect for game.

Just curious... 

Are baboons legal game for which one must have a license, permit, etc; or are they African varmints that are shot on sight?  May females and juveniles be shot? From my VERY limited knowledge of baboons (zoos and Nat Geo films), it sure wouldn't be hard to kill them.

Also, does one eat baboons?  Or do the locals eat them like they apparently do with elephants, cape buffalo and other large African critters?  If not, what does one do with dead baboons?

Please excuse the dumb questions.

PartridgeCartridge
6 hours ago, atticus said:

Can you elaborate on this? Did the fish and game guy have to resign due to trophy pics of legally taken African animals? Also, is it tasteless to have such photos? Why would African game photos be looked at differently than of elk, sheep or deer? 

Are trophy picture now considered tasteless now because of Cecil etc? Or have they always been so and I just didn’t know?  

Full disclosure—I have a bunch on the walls of my office along with several skins on the floor. 

I think it is twofold... one is the tasteless baboon pics/Cecil thing and two is the notion that all south African hunts are high fence, which offends many.

JMO

4 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

FWIW. Orvis is a UJ Ad Sponsor and contacted me without solicitation. They are committed to the Upland market and supporting this Upland discussion community, and help pay for this playground. They aren't beyond reproach nor mention in this context, but I won't allow them to be abused. 

They also donate 5% of pre-tax profits to conservation and have for many years. That’s far more than the cool kids are promoting with the “2% for conservation” campaign but somehow Orvis doesn’t get the credit.