Why I love my IH Scouts

Dakota Dogman
1 hour ago, settem said:

Good looking Scout. 

Sounds like you have a collection. 

Got any 401s laying around?

Thanks... Had the orange one for a while and just starting it lowers my blood pressure. Love that deep thump thump thump. 

At the moment I have 2 daily drivers. The orange one is a Scout II, and a 1980 Scout Terra pickup, that is the pretty one.  

Unfortunately no 401s... I think the parts truck has a 304 or a 345, but haven't got the hood up on it yet. 

God bless, 

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dakota Dogman

• Dave Medema

• settem

• Brad Eden

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mine gets more complements and rubbernecking than a sports car would around these parts.

So a couple of weeks ago we got a bunch of snow.  MN cold, and I didn't have time to drive it for a couple of weeks.  Then I went to the cities and the Scout got snowed in... and plowed in twice. 

My first was a '62.  Saw some rough, rough country.  Once in a very remote place, the left rear wheel fell off, partially pulling the axle with it from the rear gear case.  The resulting drop cut the

Posted Images

Dakota Dogman
2 hours ago, SelbyLowndes said:

Notwithstanding your video be assured you could get one stuck...SelbyLowndes

😁 I had to smile there... Oh yes they still get stuck. When all 4 tires aren't touching they sit there and spin! Best part of 4x4 is how much deeper you can bury yourself! My personal weekness is snow...  That could be a thread to itself!

God bless,

I remember as a kid they were "around" in NJ.  I  also remember a friends dad asked me to drive her to University in Vermont and he had me drive her up in a brand new ( I mean off the lot the day before) IH Scout  1978 ?  .  I remember asking him could i keep it when done . 

He smiled and said have a safe trip . But not before asking me to park my old  1966 Volvo 122-S  out back where no one would see it.

The old days .....

Birdcountry70

Mine gets more complements and rubbernecking than a sports car would around these parts.

20170224_090057-1.thumb.jpg.0d8f56347acc6cdd96d67114a56baedb.jpg

20170224_090401-1.thumb.jpg.9e5203cdfd51a307c2e0cc2fb261197c.jpg

9 hours ago, Birdcountry70 said:

20170224_090057-1.thumb.jpg.0d8f56347acc6cdd96d67114a56baedb.jpg

20170224_090401-1.thumb.jpg.9e5203cdfd51a307c2e0cc2fb261197c.jpg

Nice rig!!

love the soft top!

Dave Erickson
16 hours ago, fourtrax57 said:

Can you even find them used anymore?

Tough to find because they generally rotted to the bone. I loved the two I had.

13 hours ago, Dakota Dogman said:

Thanks... Had the orange one for a while and just starting it lowers my blood pressure. Love that deep thump thump thump. 

At the moment I have 2 daily drivers. The orange one is a Scout II, and a 1980 Scout Terra pickup, that is the pretty one.  

Unfortunately no 401s... I think the parts truck has a 304 or a 345, but haven't got the hood up on it yet. 

God bless, 

Well...

We need more Pics!!!

I’ve got a big soft spot for Scouts. 

A friend had a 77 Scout II and I had a 79 Cherokee Sport, both had V8’s and manual trannys. They both had 33inch mud radials and we loved to hit the trails in those rigs, especially if there was a snow. 

Man we had a lot of fun! 

Rust finally killed the Scout. I kept that Cherokee for years, but fire finally killed the beast😢

Birdcountry70
2 hours ago, Dakota Dogman said:

What year Birdcountry? Still got IH guts in it? 

Very nice.

God bless

Thanks, it's a '72.  Still has the original 304 and 4-speed manual transmission.

Birdcountry70
27 minutes ago, settem said:

Nice rig!!

love the soft top!

Thanks Settem, I still have the orange metal hardtop also.  It's amazing how many parts and accessories are still available for these online. There are several websites dedicated to Scouts.

Dakota Dogman

The green is the beauty... 1980 Terra with Chevy guts. Solid ax spring over. 

The grey is the project that want to live again and then probably find a new home.

God bless,

IMG_20180524_200216602.jpg

IMG_20180524_195206989_HDR.jpg

A friend of Dad's had a Traveler with a 392, seemed comparable to the Suburban another of his friends owned. I'd look for a Travelall or Scout II with an eye on rust problems which seemed to be standard-issue with the breed. 304 or 345, a friend who'd owned one in a Scout said it got 11mpg whether in town, on the highway, or parked. Effective-looking trucks, either way.

On 1/12/2019 at 12:15 PM, Dakota Dogman said:

The green is the beauty... 1980 Terra with Chevy guts. Solid ax spring over. 

The grey is the project that want to live again and then probably find a new home.

God bless,

IMG_20180524_200216602.jpg

IMG_20180524_195206989_HDR.jpg

That Terra truck is just plain cool!!

Dakota Dogman

Thanks settem! I do enjoy the Terra, but with the bowtie guts... Well they just don't do it for me for some reason.  You have to crank it up to get the 350 to start, where as the IH 345 is such a slow thumping sound... It calms me down. 

God bless,

There is a green one and an orange one that I see in a couple of towns neighboring mine and I always stop to admire them and wish that I had one.