bkelble

Do you need AWD/4WD?

Dogwood

I guess I don't really know if I need it but I don't want to find out, so I have it anyway.

john mcg

Yes---when I choose to go where 2wd isn't much help.

Big Pine

When I lived closer to birds, I could justify a little 4x4 pickup, and I loved the stupid thing.  I camped in it, hunted out of it, and kept my fly rods in there all year long.  Used to get it stuck once in a while, too, usually out of sheer stupidity and overconfidence.  

These days I'm about 3 hours from grouse hunting and about 45 minutes from woodcock or stocked pheasants, and I'm driving a Honda Fit.  Since buying the little hatchback, I've scouted more areas, shot more birds, and just been out much, much more.  And this fall, with one cross country trip, one weeklong Northwoods odyssey, and about 20 long day trips, I saved over $1000 in gas.  It's nice to not wince at a 3-hour trip to grouse country.  It can carry rigged fly rods, cross country skis, and two canoes just fine, too.

I could see myself getting another truck if I move out west, but the Fit has impressed me so far.

OldSarge

Yes, I spend much of the winter in 4hi for the added traction and control. Rural UP roads or slushy highways will grab you and toss you in the toolies in 2wd. As an aside, the largest town in my county, Ontonagon, every street is an authorized ATV and snowmobile trail. 

CptSydor

I need 4x4 mostly to get into my driveway which is accessed from a small, hilly lane way that can be left unplowed for extended periods during storm cycles in our mountain town.

Very rarely use 4x4 during my hunting expeditions. Need clearance more for washed out forest service roads. My philosophy is generally if I need to be in 4Hi for very long, I start thinking about turning around or getting out and walking. That way I still have 4low as a back-up. Don't need to be stuck 30km down a forest road with no cell service.

I would never own just 2wd vehicle where I live due to the mountains and snow, but I do drive my beater minivan with studded winters far more than my truck.

Brad Eden
3 hours ago, bkelble said:

Would you say that you "need" more than 2wd to get to your hunting locations? 

If specifically hunting locations...home covers and northern camp covers. I'd be able to get to both or close enough in a 2wd vehicle about 60% of the time, AWD about 30% of the time, and need 4WD about 10% of the time. That 10% is important. Much of that is late season grouse and deer hunting, home and at camp where many access roads are unplowed, or mud pits if we have thaw.

If generally then I'd have to say I certainly need 4WD where I live. It's in and out of 4HI on an almost daily basis in winter, given I live on a town dirt road that is the last to get plowed or graded etc. Also I plow my driveway with the truck, and just a couple days ago I went to the town sandpile because my driveway was an ice rink. We had been having copious rain and I literally had to swim the truck in 4WD through a mud quagmire to get to the sand pile. 2WD or AWD would never had gotten there. (I am familiar with AWD and it's performance, since my wife's last few small SUV's have AWD)

stephen brown

I'm not going back to 2WD for my hunting vehicles. Not going back to unheated seats or hand crank windows or no AC.

Chukarman

4WD simply extends the capability of your vehicle. If you never use it you probably don't NEED it. All my vehicles are 4WD.

blanked

It easy to play the Monday morning quarterback after you have been familiar with your hunting spots and conditions.  When your going out of state and or exploring new areas for the first time it’s a different mind set

canvasback

When it comes to hunting I've taken all my vehicles off road. That includes Datsun 240Z's, Camaro convertibles, Volvo 544 sedans, Acura Legends, Honda Preludes....you get the pic. I got in and out of where I needed to get to and I've never been stuck (that needed a tow of any sort) as a result. However, since I switched to 4WD (Pathfinders, Land Rovers, Grand Cherokees) and AWD (VW Passats), I'm never going back to 2WD. It's just easier with less to fret about.

Ground clearance is ALWAYS the issue.

rideold

I'd agree that clearance is more of an issue than traction for the vast majority of the places most of us drive so need is a subjective term.  I probably drive more places than I would if I only had 2WD.

WMassGriff

Growing up I hunted out of 2wd cars and trucks but carried and used Tire Chains. As long as I had clearance I was fine. Now older and lazier I appreciate putting the vehicle (4Runner)into 4wd with the turn of a knob! 

rideold
6 minutes ago, canvasback said:

Volvo 544 sedans

They were great vehicles.  I had a '67 that I picked up for $500 and put back on the road when I was in college.  We drove the heck out of that vehicle.  Too bad modern Volvos don't hold a candle to the old ones.

Dakota Dogman

The way I live, which includes hunting, living in the upper Midwest winters, deer hunting and rough play, I "need" real 4 wheel drive.

Of course I could actually live quite comfortably like any other city guy with a 1 wheel drive "sport utility vehicle".

Then when it happens to get snowy on the way to soccer practice I could ask the car excuse me "SUV" to use 1 wheel in front and 1 in back.

But I am red neck me. Where I go OUT of season is as likely to get me in trouble as in season.  My favorite vacation places even in a dry summer need 4 tires pulling forward.
For me to be me, I "need" 4x4.

God Bless,

PS - That said; I have proven to myself that I can be wild and silly with a 2 wheel drive.  I took my 15 passenger van into the back corner of the NW side of the Grand canyon, laughing at Jeepers all the way. A lot of dry road driving is knowing HOW to drive as much as having the extra power / traction of an extra tire grabbing.

Birdcountry70

I can't imagine going back to a 2 wheel drive. When I was a kid my dad always had 2 wheel drive pickups and we simply couldn't go many places we wanted to but we spent a lot of time messing with tire chains.  A friend of mine's father used to like to say the difference between 2 and 4 wheel drive was 200 more feet and a 2nd tow truck. That's a catchy saying but it's total B.S. we have enough snow and mud here in MT that a 4x4 is completely justified unless maybe you live in town and never leave it all winter.  This winter has been a breeze but last year hundreds of front wheel drive vehicles spent months buried in snowbanks in my nearby town. For full disclosure, I or my wife have stuck our 4 wheel drives in our own drive way 3 times since we bought this place 12 years ago. It has a tendency to drift in while we're at work.