REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
bkelble

Do you need AWD/4WD?

Tim Frazier

Scott just touched on it and maybe further back it was as well.  With 2wd, in my opinion, good tires are paramount.  With the Vibe I'm running 225/60 16s vs the 205/55 16s it had on it.  The extra 3/4-1" really can make a difference.  Same with my F-150 though.  I wondered about if I really needed the 33's till I accidently pulled into a ditch on a grouse hunt this fall.  I barely had the clearance to get out with my own power and every 1/2" mattered!

mccuha

I have a friend that was pondering a 2wd.  He’s always had 4wd. I told him in my opinion once you have 4wd it’s hard going back.  I know myself to well and I’d try to get somewhere in 2wd and realize after the fact that that’s all I have.

2wd will only get me in trouble

Mike Connally

I only need it if I do something stupid. This Fall I made the mistake of taking a shortcut over a Pennsylvania mountain to reach a hard pack road. The shortcut ended at an unfordable ford, 100 yards from the hardpack road. 4 wheel low is the only reason I was able to reclimb that mountain and get out. 

Brad Eden

As mentioned. This time of year I need 4low just to get from my garage out my driveway, down the town dirt road to reach a paved road. Then depending on how hard the plow guys have been working I can switch back to 2wd. Generally my wife gets by doing same with her Nissan rogue but needs the AWD. If too sketchy I chauffeur her to work in my truck, etc.

River19

Do we "need" anything more than a .410?  Only takes one pellet right?  But a 20,16,12 etc. certainly covers a few more "situations" and it is nice to have for those times when the .410 may not cut it as easily or consistently.

All our vehicles are AWD/4WD and our primiary winter vehicle wears studded winter tires as we need those as well. 

Dogwood
8 hours ago, River19 said:

Do we "need" anything more than a .410?  Only takes one pellet right?  But a 20,16,12 etc. certainly covers a few more "situations" and it is nice to have for those times when the .410 may not cut it as easily or consistently.

All our vehicles are AWD/4WD and our primiary winter vehicle wears studded winter tires as we need those as well. 

Studs legal in NE?

River19
14 minutes ago, Dogwood said:

Studs legal in NE?

Yup even MA November to April and VT/NH all year long if you want.

Don Steese

I do need it. Seldom, but often enough to justify the extra expense. Only downside of 4 wheel drive is that it'll get you stuck where the tow truck can't, or won't go!!  

browndrake

For the last 10 years, I worked out in the hills two days a week. 4wd was a necessity and chains and sometimes an air compressor for re-airing after letting air out for some nasty blow sand.....

Since, I am not at that job anymore, since Dec, I now mostly need 4wd for fun, but it does make navigating snowstorms a bit easier too.  Even now, I use it probably every week.

bruski

One thing to remember, 4WD does not mean you can go everywhere.

It just means when you do get stuck, it will be in a much worse place.

bruski

One other thing, 2WD is what you go in on.

4WD is how you get back out.

Dogwood
18 hours ago, River19 said:

Yup even MA November to April and VT/NH all year long if you want.

Nice.  No go in Michigan.  Sadly.

WMassGriff

Surprised not much mention of tire chains. Growing up (60's) owning a 4wd was out of reach. Used to be I went many places with 2wd (no locker) chained up and never thought twice. Ground clearance is what stopped me. Still carry chains to this day even with 4wd.

I think the TV ads for new vehicles using 4wd or AWD are a hoot as I could be following right behind them in one of my 60's beaters all chained up!

MNSpaniels

For me, no. I live in Minnesota. I'm not committed to one particular type of bird hunting. So, I go where my Prius can get to. Some days it's North, some South, others West. If everything is bad, which can happen, I go to the areas I know I can get closest to and walk the rest of the way in. I will never trade the freedom which comes from 50 MPG. 

Dick Sellers

My country road starts with a pretty steep, mile long hill which in the winter doesn't get any sun on it.  It gets icy quite regularly, but fortunately it is a school bus route, so it gets graveled pretty regularly.  Nonetheless I put my truck in 4W before I make the corner heading up, just in case.  A couple of times a winter there will be a vehicle in the ditch, but fortunately never the school bus - so far.