BEST OVERALL RIFLE FOR HUNTING AFRICAN PLAINS GAME?

Upland_Hunter

Upland_Hunter

For all of you hunters that have been to Africa to hunt African plains game what is the best all around rifle choice to hunt them with? I would assume hat a 30-.06 with 180 grain bullet would be adequate.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Marc Ret

• redwing

• Upland_Hunter

• lee sykes

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

UH,Just for interest sake ,my go to rifle now (last 25 years) is  7x57mm ,hunted almost every thing from duiker to Kudu with it.Got rid of  most of the other dust collectors years ago(223/270 and 30.0

I've posted these before but I don't mind posting them again to offer a bit more persuasion.     My wildebeest I referenced earlier.      Random pics from camping in Hwa

marc ret, an old 'campfire tale' that stems from the Anglo/Boer war in the early 1900,s ,the Afrikaaners(Boers) were armed with 7mm mausers,(which in its day was the best military rifle around) and th

Posted Images

Not the .577 tyrannosaur pictured above!

A .30-06 is fine for plains game--perhaps a larger bullet size-- say 220, may be more appropriate if you are going after eland.  Like anything shot placement is the most important.  I've used the following on plains game without issue.

.300 H&H

25-06

.338 WM

.375 H&H

My only other thought is distance--some shots in places like Namibia can be a couple hundred yards, which wouldn't be a issue for a 30-06 either. 

PartridgeCartridge

I would think an '06 would be fine for all of south Africa as it is all high fence. True dark Africa would be a different thing. So would real hunting in North America for the true alpine and tundra species.

JMO

300 Win Mag.    When you come down to it probably more African game has been shot with the .303 Brit than anything else. Not saying it's the best but there it is I guess.

Just as important as a gun you shoot well and of sufficient caliber is the selection of a quality bullet like Barnes or Swift's A Frame. My one hunt there I used a .375 H&H. Having watched the wildebeest I shot run a couple hundred yards with a completely destroyed heart  compliments of a 300gr Partition gave me a respect for how tough some African game can be. 

A 30-06 would be a good starting point.  .300 H&H is a classic African cartridge with a slight edge on the '06. If longer shots are likely, I think a .300 Wby would be a fine choice. From there I'd probably go to the .375. 

Winter time dreaming or are you actively considering a hunt? 

When I took my boys to Africa, they used the PH's rifles. They were both BRNO in 270 and 300wm. The only thing they used the WM on was wildebeest, and let me tell you, those things are TOUGH. everything else folded up like a cheap suit! A 30-06 and good bullet will get it done all day long.

Agreed, depending on what kind of area you are hunting in Africa for plains game. The standard run of the mill hunt a 30-06 will get it done but it wouldn't hurt to bump it up to a 300wm. Now If I were hunting plains game where I might bump into some of those big nasties such as the big cats , buff or elephant an even larger gun would feel better in my hands for that "just in case self preservation moment".

Many years ago when I went with my aunt and uncle, I took two rifles.  A Winchester African Model 70 in .458 Win Mag and a Weatherby in .300 Wby Mag.  The combination satisfied all conditions/game.  I was a big teenager and recoil was not a problem for me.

Perk

Upland_Hunter
20 hours ago, mccuha said:

Agreed, depending on what kind of area you are hunting in Africa for plains game. The standard run of the mill hunt a 30-06 will get it done but it wouldn't hurt to bump it up to a 300wm. Now If I were hunting plains game where I might bump into some of those big nasties such as the big cats , buff or elephant an even larger gun would feel better in my hands for that "just in case self preservation moment".

The type of African plains game that I had in mind were blesbok , impala, reedbuck, springbuck, nyala, kudu, gemsbok, bushbuck and wilderbeast. I would assume that a 30-.06 with 180 grain bullet would be adequate for all of these game listed?

It'll be fine. 

Btw, Nyala may be the prettiest animal on the continent.  I hunted in a large conservancy in the eastern cape back in '04 and it was recommended that I add bushbuck to my hunt.  I was on a very tight budget and didn't--I have always wished I had.

13 hours ago, Upland_Hunter said:

The type of African plains game that I had in mind were blesbok , impala, reedbuck, springbuck, nyala, kudu, gemsbok, bushbuck and wilderbeast. I would assume that a 30-.06 with 180 grain bullet would be adequate for all of these game listed?

I had a friend win an African plains hunt.  He took his deer rifle. A .270 and did fine with it. Just had some really big premium bullets( don’t remember the grain ) and did just fine. I know he shot several of the animals you mentioned 

UH, your 30.06 will be perfect for anything up to an eland, the 180 gr bullets will work just fine for all the species you mentioned, you can always go for a heavier bullet (220gr) in thick stuff/eland or down to a 150 for the plains game(blesbok/springbok) if need be.Don't forget your shotgun, great wing shooting down here!