Heavy Snow fall coming to the northeast

19 hours ago, BlacknTan said:

Due to an unfortunate quirk at birth, i.e. not having the proverbial silver spoon stuck in it, I always had to work, or otherwise do whatever necessary to keep a roof over my head and food on the table. The only wax I had to worry about was candles for however long the power went down.

Wow.  Not sure where that came from.  My point was simply that 2ft of snow in Colorado simply makes for a powder day at the ski area.  Getting around would be no big deal.  There would be no panic, just a good day for skiers.  

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brad Eden

• WPG Gizmo

• topdog1961

• max2

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You got nothin on me. Talk to me in 50 years if big green is still on the job.    I'd still trade you though, if you got a good gun or two to throw in. 

Starting Saturday evening into Monday morning We are expecting between 12-24 inches in Southern NH more as you head North with brutal cold single digit temps this mean that while can can plow the snow

You guys are complaining and carrying on about some snow. Look what we have to face here in Florida; 70 degree temps, bright sunshine making sunglasses necessary and great beach days with lovely scene

Posted Images

Hell, if there is a chance of snow here in Virginia, the schools get closed. I remember the Blizzard of 78, living in Massachusetts and not being let out of school until there was almost a foot of snow on the ground.

Snowing and blowing in Oklahoma and 10 degree chill factor, but we won’t have more than 2 inches.

Max’s first snow. Funny trying to catch a snowflake.

23 hours ago, salmontogue said:

All this heavy snow talk has made me fearful and paranoid.  I am going to get my security blanket.....pictured below.

IMG_1371.JPG

You got nothin on me. Talk to me in 50 years if big green is still on the job. 

I'd still trade you though, if you got a good gun or two to throw in. 

image.jpeg

46 minutes ago, martin9428 said:

Hell, if there is a chance of snow here in Virginia, the schools get closed. I remember the Blizzard of 78, living in Massachusetts and not being let out of school until there was almost a foot of snow on the ground.

We were there for that snow apocalypse  (in Boston for grad school). Memorable for how much it paralyzed that big city for a loooong time.........

The Blizzard of 78 good times right there they had to call out the national guard to clear the highways cars just stopped and stayed right where they were people being rescued by snowmobile.  I left for Boot camp a few weeks later.

No telling what we are going to get the forecast is all over the place depending on which one you look at all I can say for certain is I am going to work this evening and will be home on Monday some time.

On 1/18/2019 at 12:37 PM, Brad Eden said:

I__00005.JPG

These deer on my property in the corner of the Marsh will likely be yarding up out back with a load more after this storm. 

Do you help them through the winter with some feeding? Mixed opinions on winter feeding up here. 

having a 400 ft. driveway...I'm glad I found one of these for sale during the summer. Works very well. Has a bracket that goes into my trailer hitch reciever.

2019-01-19_03-22-16

13 minutes ago, terrym said:

Do you help them through the winter with some feeding? Mixed opinions on winter feeding up here. 

Mixed opinions her in Maine as well. Personally, no I dont. Although legal to feed deer once all hunting seasons are over, and we must stop a couple months before the start of any hunting seasons it is not a good idea IMO. Feeding is frowned upon by the state wildlife biologists and if they had their way it would be illegal like it is in VT. It's a huge time and money commitment to feed throughout a winter. Feeders need to keep putting it out once a herd is accustomed to that food source. Im of the ilk that I don't like to view something as wild and beautiful as Whitetail deer like they are farm stock or in a zoo. Many people do feed deer in Maine, and that's their perogative, but unless we have a catastrophic winter, they really don't need our helping hand. JMO

pa'tridge hunters
35 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

Mixed opinions her in Maine as well. Personally, no I dont. Although legal to feed deer once all hunting seasons are over, and we must stop a couple months before the start of any hunting seasons it is not a good idea IMO. Feeding is frowned upon by the state wildlife biologists and if they had their way it would be illegal like it is in VT. It's a huge time and money commitment to feed throughout a winter. Feeders need to keep putting it out once a herd is accustomed to that food source. Im of the ilk that I don't like to view something as wild and beautiful as Whitetail deer like they are farm stock or in a zoo. Many people do feed deer in Maine, and that's their perogative, but unless we have a catastrophic winter, they really don't need our helping hand. JMO

Some of the Old Timers used to cut a cedar tree down  when the snow got deep so the deer could have something to eat. I don't know if they were soft hearted or were making sure there would be some deer around for the next fall.

A lot of state have banned feeding deer over CWD concerns the main reason is it concentrates the deer in a small area

1 hour ago, Zoli 16ga. said:

having a 400 ft. driveway...I'm glad I found one of these for sale during the summer. Works very well. Has a bracket that goes into my trailer hitch reciever.

2019-01-19_03-22-16

What is that thing?

1 hour ago, WPG Gizmo said:

A lot of state have banned feeding deer over CWD concerns the main reason is it concentrates the deer in a small area

Up here the only way deer survive our brutal winters is to “yard up”. Sometimes hundreds together. So the bunching up and close contact really doesn’t make sense. They do it instinctively. I do subscribe to the theory of maintaining a population that the land can sustain, not artificially bumping it up. Having said that some winters are severe and I believe in helping then.