REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Speaks

Alpha/Astro

Speaks

I know I want to have either one or the other by spring time, July 15 when public land training opens at the latest. Beyond the question of which one to get which has been beat to death in forums but is still perplexing me, does anyone know when rebates or sales typically happen. If none are likely before then I may just order, if they are I will hold out. 

Brad Eden

Check out/contact both Gun Dog Supply and Front Range Gundog. Both UJ Ad Sponsors. I try and keep current "sales" of gear current on this Ad Sponsor Sub-Forum:  Ad Sponsor News-Sales-Specials

blanked

If you want a basic tracker the Astro.  If you want bells and whistles and use them the alpha

terrym

I have an Astro 320 but would have bought an Alpha if it existed. Primarily to eliminate running 2 collars only. My Setter is tiny so it’s not a great setup. 

gwponr
18 minutes ago, terrym said:

I have an Astro 320 but would have bought an Alpa if it existed. Primarily to eliminate running 2 collars only. My Setter is tiny so it’s not a great setup. 

I just got my alpha with tt15 collars I almost had to send back for the mini, Patch is 37lbs and he is on the very last hole closest to the GPS unite on the collar. It just barely fit

Curt

I bought a new one last summer (2018).  After handling and playing with both units I chose the Astro 430 for the simply reason that I personally did not care for the touch screen feature of the Alpha.  Also I already had multiple Dogtra correction/beeper units on hand.

tut

If you don't need corrections, I think the 430 or 320 will be all you need.  I think if they made the Alpha with a button option instead of touch screen that would be a good thing.  I'd bet they would sell even more units it that was the case. 

Speaks

Which ever unit I go with I will be running along with my Dogtra T&B for at least a few seasons so dont need correction. I can imagine scenerios where it could be handy to have it there in the unit, but I look at my primary need as tracking not training. That said I am not concerned about the cost difference if there are other advantages to the Alpha that I might regret not having later. 

duluthUPLAND
1 hour ago, Speaks said:

Which ever unit I go with I will be running along with my Dogtra T&B for at least a few seasons so dont need correction. I can imagine scenerios where it could be handy to have it there in the unit, but I look at my primary need as tracking not training. That said I am not concerned about the cost difference if there are other advantages to the Alpha that I might regret not having later. 

I personally have the Alpha and I really like it, but since purchasing and running it on my dog over the last four years, I've begun thinking about different set-ups.

If you like your Dogtra collar, don't forget about their Pathfinder collar. If you're just looking for the tracking/safety net you might check out the smartphone based Dogtra TRX. Otherwise I think the Astro would be great for you.

If I was starting from where you are now with the Dogtra T&B, I'd be purchasing the Garmin Astro or Dogra TRX. Either way you'll have a really nice collar set-up for the grouse woods.  

WeeWilly

Astro 320 and a Pro 550 on my dogs. I feel it gives me far more options in the timing of communication and correction with them. If you already have the 2500 T&B and are happy with the setup, not sure why the need of an Alpha.