ruff hunter

Old man Tom Brady. GOAT 🐐!

Clueless1
1 minute ago, jeff88 said:

Well said.  ^

It is tough to compare players over long periods of time as the sport, particularly NFL football, has changed so much.  Joe Montana vs Tom Brady may be an interesting comparison.  SF was the dynasty of the '80's - rules for passing were much different than today.  Pass/Run ratio was about 50/50 back then - today it's much more a passing league.  So I look at how players did against their peers in the era in which they played, both Joe and Tom are heads above their peers for championships in their respective eras  My nod goes to Brady as he's doing over a longer period with a vastly changing complement of players.  If he wins this SB, he will have eclipsed all other QB's by a minimum of two rings, that's impressive.

There's quite a bit of baseball data that show how players compare to their peers.  Such as batting average compared to the era.  ERA compared to the rest of the era etc.  It is an attempt to put numbers to different eras.  I haven't seen football ones, I'm pretty sure they are out there.    

Just an FYI, Bob Gibson does pretty well in those and it really brings Barry Bonds HR's back into perspective.  Would be cool to see the football ones. 

Brad Eden

The Patriots under Belichick are always filled with has beens, late draftees, walk ons and rejects. So the argument that Brady has the advantage of a great supporting cast doesn't fly with me. They all just plain do their jobs without...well I already went there...Someone else mentioned earlier about past "star players" who chased money and you hardly ever hear about them again. Patriots players arent "special" (except Brady I suppose...) and could be cut or replaced at any second without the team missing a beat. I think the term GOAT is dumb, but it sure seems to get under people's skin. Make for stimulating discussion. If the Pats lose the haters will be insufferable.

john mcg

There is nothing wrong with folks wanting to and having a tendency to rate players.

Its no mystery and in the scheme of things means little.

Comparisons are fun.

Montana had Rice. Brady has__________________?

Could Joe have adapted to a great many targets as Tom does?

Clueless1

Gronkowski, Randy Moss, Troy Brown, Edelman, Welker to name a few.

I agree it is fun ranking players.  Although the best receiver is already spoken for.  Has to be, when you buy yourself a "GOAT" ring right?

1228-antonio-brown-goat-ring-sports-wm-3.thumb.jpg.5e6218cb31556aff6aae016818e596f1.jpg 

mccuha

I think no matter the sport it’s hard to compare era to era. Take baseball. Now a days every pitcher throws 90+.  Before now it was less and less pitchers throwing that hard. There seasons weren’t as long as today.  A lot of the old time players during the off season had to work a real job to survive   They didn’t condition or know about all the advancement of strength training. Bottom line it was different. Football and basketball falls under the same thing.   

In in my eyes the patriots have developed a culture and seek out certain players that fit there mold. If they get them and don’t fit in they get rid of them pretty quick.  To me they want the blue collar football player that’s willing to play for a team more so than the dollar  and as we all know in pro sports today this is an oddity 

ruff hunter

And then this morning number 6 is added to his resume!!🐐🐐🐐🐐🐐🐐🐐🐐🐐🐐🐐🐐🐐🐐🐐🐐🐐🐐🐐🐐🐐🐐🐐🐐🐐

rbertalotto

You win football games with defense. PERIOD! Last year the Patriots lost because they had ZERO defense. The PATS offense scored a ton of points. But the "D" couldnt stop Philly. The Eagles had something like 7 4th down conversions! Are you kidding me! You can't win, no matter how good your QB is without stopping the other team

Now yesterdays game was 110% defense. The RAMS kept Tom and his offense to 13 points! And only one TD......The Rams played great. And if not for one great pass and catch by Gronk, it could have gone the other way.

And the game against Kansas City came down to a coin toss.......We all know KC could have won had they won the coin toss.

Lately, this is how the post season goes......One play, one bad call, one coin toss, one bad field goal............

But Brady being a 6th round pick, and rated 497 out of 500 in the draft......And has the running ability of Forrest Gump......He is Truely amazing!

Lets not forget the most amazing stat......They have won 3 out of the last 5 Superbowls.............Simply AMAZING!

Love "MY" Pats!

kgb
2 hours ago, rbertalotto said:

You win football games with defense. PERIOD! Last year the Patriots lost because they had ZERO defense. The PATS offense scored a ton of points. But the "D" couldnt stop Philly. The Eagles had something like 7 4th down conversions! Are you kidding me! You can't win, no matter how good your QB is without stopping the other team

Now yesterdays game was 110% defense. The RAMS kept Tom and his offense to 13 points! And only one TD......The Rams played great. And if not for one great pass and catch by Gronk, it could have gone the other way.

And the game against Kansas City came down to a coin toss.......We all know KC could have won had they won the coin toss.

Lately, this is how the post season goes......One play, one bad call, one coin toss, one bad field goal............

But Brady being a 6th round pick, and rated 497 out of 500 in the draft......And has the running ability of Forrest Gump......He is Truely amazing!

Lets not forget the most amazing stat......They have won 3 out of the last 5 Superbowls.............Simply AMAZING!

Love "MY" Pats!

Careful, there.  Awful close to whizzing on hero worshipers when you give the defense credit!  

Full disclosure I did not watch the game, but if what you observe here is true......freakin' Gronk!

mccuha

About the coin tosses. Why in the world does everyone always select heads.  Everyone knows tails never fails.

ruff hunter
11 hours ago, kgb said:

Careful, there.  Awful close to whizzing on hero worshipers when you give the defense credit!  

Full disclosure I did not watch the game, but if what you observe here is true......freakin' Gronk!

True the defense was amazing, but let’s face it the QB gets all the glory and blame so that means that it is a glamorous position...... so Tom Brady gets the glory and praise as the only QB with not 1, not 2 , not 3 , not 4, not 5 , but 6 rings..... I love him 😍!

Millriver

One of the best commercials was the one celebrating the NFL's 100th anniversary when all the stars, past and present, started playing a game in the banquet hall. They showed Brady taking all of his rings off before he could play. Very funny stuff!

troutchops
On 2/4/2019 at 8:36 AM, rbertalotto said:

Love "MY" Pats!

Didn’t Forrest Gump return kickoffs for Alabama?

john mcg
On 2/4/2019 at 7:36 AM, rbertalotto said:

Love "MY" Pats!

The problem with this, as I see it--is that you are suplying conflicting views.

Defense wins games--YES

KC defense had the opportunity to stop that OT drive.

Correct? Therefore, I don't see the problem.

ccavacini

brady.jpg