Jump to content

Dodge Ram Trucks?


Recommended Posts

I had a 2013 1500 BH with the 6 cylinder motor, it was the first Dodge I had owned. Absolutely loved the truck, my favorite to drive,  the fuel economy was outstanding and great in the snow and ice. Unfortunately I had too much $$ into repairs including a new radiator under 100k miles that the dodge dealer told me was "normal wear and tear".  The truck also rusted out badly at 4 years old and 130,000 miles so I traded it in and went back to Ford. I do miss driving it however.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • River19

    7

  • Birdcountry70

    5

  • Grouseman_1

    4

  • kgb

    3

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have owned a string of 3500 and 2500 Rams, all diesel.  They have been reliable and all were over 250,000 miles when sold for better than expected money.  I am about to purchase a 2019 but it will p

A major "pet peeve" here in Ma .  An inch of snow is coming , we got plenty of money , let's spread a ton of salt on the ground so that these poor souls can get out of their driveway . RIDICULOUS

I was wondering if anyone would pick up on that lol.  Sadly yes, Snow, ice, sun, rain,......rinse repeat.   After a light snow or ice event you could cure a ham on any of our roads.  The par

Posted Images

Birdcountry70
23 hours ago, sidelock said:

The blend  door actuators are notorious for failing on Rams and its a very expensive fix. Don't ask me how i know ! When I went to the dealer to get a quote for the repair the two guys in the office just looked at each other and didn't quote me a price but one of them said it was an 8 to 10 hour job and left it for me to figure out the cost at $120/ hr for their shop rate LOL.  I ended up  getting the mechanic that does them to do it on the side after work for $500 for labor plus the cost of parts.

Ouch!  I watched a YouTube video and did it myself. By the 4th time I was down to less than a half hour. The actuators are under $20 online. So I'm only in it for about $80 and a few hours of my time over a period of several years.  Maybe I should do them for other people for say $250 a piece.🤔 I think the last time was about two years ago so I'm hoping I'm done with the problem. Can't remember the name of the company that made the last actuator I put in but it is not Dorman.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve driven Ram Trucks since the first T-300 (early to mid 90’s) along with DR, DS and now the DT. I just picked up a Laramie with Sport Package and have to say it’s the nicest truck I have had. The interior is awesome and the back seat reclines., It’s no wonder it won truck of the year. If my memory serves me correct I’ve had 2 of each of the models except the latest DT. The first 4 trucks I put about 75,000 miles on each and the next 3 anywhere from 125,000 - 150,000 miles. My son bought my 2010 from my company and took the mileage to 215,000 before selling it for $4500.00. Out of all the trucks I’ve had exactly 2 issues and both were under warranty. An impeller broke in the Power Steering unit and the 2nd was an electrical issue relative to the 4x4 harnness. Both were quick repairs and didn’t cost a dime to us. 

 

Good luck,

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Fur and Feathers said:

  I get my vehicles sprayed annually with Krown rust protection, and of course was them when the weather allows. It costs $150 for a full size truck. Worth every penny of you plan to keep them. I have a co-worker with an 09 truck that he has has sprayed yearly and it has 0 rust. 

 

my guess is the rust over the wheels issue has something to do with the way the sheet metal is folded or covered.  I'd bet the design allows mud to sit in there.  wet dirt and grime, aka mud, sitting against metal is a major cause of vehicle rust.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Birdcountry70 said:

Ouch!  I watched a YouTube video and did it myself. By the 4th time I was down to less than a half hour. The actuators are under $20 online. So I'm only in it for about $80 and a few hours of my time over a period of several years.  Maybe I should do them for other people for say $250 a piece.🤔 I think the last time was about two years ago so I'm hoping I'm done with the problem. Can't remember the name of the company that made the last actuator I put in but it is not Dorman.

If I had a video of the work that was involved to repair mine and fast forwarded it, I'm sure it would take over half hour just for the video to run out in in fast forward mode LOL. The entire dash had to be disassembled and reassembled including the steering column. If you can do all that in half hour You The Man ! I saw a hack job on youtube that did not require the removal of the dash but rather cutting into the metal bracket in the floor vent but it was just that, a hack and a patch.  I should have mention that mine is a 5.9 Cummins and I lso had to replace the injectors at $425 a piece for Bosch "rebuilds" x 6 !

Link to post
Share on other sites

My 2015 has 45K miles it's a weekend driver since I have a company truck to drive to work, no complaints, 5.7 4x4 and gets decent mileage, until you tow something. 16-18 MPG pulling the Polaris Ranger 9 MPG

Link to post
Share on other sites
Birdcountry70
On 1/23/2019 at 7:12 PM, sidelock said:

If I had a video of the work that was involved to repair mine and fast forwarded it, I'm sure it would take over half hour just for the video to run out in in fast forward mode LOL. The entire dash had to be disassembled and reassembled including the steering column. If you can do all that in half hour You The Man ! I saw a hack job on youtube that did not require the removal of the dash but rather cutting into the metal bracket in the floor vent but it was just that, a hack and a patch.  I should have mention that mine is a 5.9 Cummins and I lso had to replace the injectors at $425 a piece for Bosch "rebuilds" x 6 !

Well, I guess we're talking about two different things. As far as I know Laramie and SLT Rams all have 3 blend door actuators. All located behind the center portion of the dash. About a dozen screws need removed. Nowhere near the steering column. No hacking or cutting of anything required.  Possibly Cummins models are different??  I have owned only one diesel pick up and have no desire to own another for various reasons. Just not my thing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/25/2019 at 7:59 AM, RayB said:

My 2015 has 45K miles it's a weekend driver since I have a company truck to drive to work, no complaints, 5.7 4x4 and gets decent mileage, until you tow something. 16-18 MPG pulling the Polaris Ranger 9 MPG

I only averaged about 7 mpg with my 2014 towing an all aluminum trailer with my Polaris Ranger at 70ish mph. I had 3:92’s in it. I haven’t pulled it yet with my ‘18 Laramie with the same rear ended. I’d love to get 9mpg. 

 

Mike 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a 2017 1500 Laramie, coming from a 2013 1500 Sierra, and they aren't even close. Honestly I'll never own another GM product but that's another story. I love my Ram: great power, nicely finished interior, wicked good gas mileage and a nice ride. I get 21-22 mpg on the highway and pulling my boat I get 16. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
WI Outdoor Nut
On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 8:15 PM, Grouseman_1 said:

I only averaged about 7 mpg with my 2014 towing an all aluminum trailer with my Polaris Ranger at 70ish mph. I had 3:92’s in it. I haven’t pulled it yet with my ‘18 Laramie with the same rear ended. I’d love to get 9mpg. 

 

Mike 

I am just guessing, but do you have a fold down ramp with your UTV? 

 

For the record, when I pull either my 6000# boat or my enclosed V nose snowmobile trailer, I see anywhere between 11-15 mpg with my F150.  Pulled my brothers ranger with an AL trailer and ramp up.  I was down to 9 mpg.  It has all to do with the wind resistance with that darn ramp gate.  IMHO, it is worth getting a ramp that folds in 1/2.  Just a thought.......

Link to post
Share on other sites

Had our 2014 2500 with the 6.4L Hemi for going on 4 years now, love it.

 

It is primarily a tow vehicle for us for the horse trailer and the travel trailer.  Push button and it starts and we put gas and oil in and don't worry about anything else.  

 

That being said, the known annoyance is the fact it is clear the person who programmed the transmission was either a massive meth addict or was suffering from a massive head wound.  

Plenty of power, plenty of stability and I enjoy 3000lb+ payload.....

 

If I lived and towed at serious elevation I would have a Cummins.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 4:20 PM, henryrski said:

I've owned two Dodges, my first and my last.

Were they both the same truck?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Fur and Feathers
On 1/30/2019 at 9:35 PM, doodlecrazy said:

I have a 2017 1500 Laramie, coming from a 2013 1500 Sierra, and they aren't even close. Honestly I'll never own another GM product but that's another story. I love my Ram: great power, nicely finished interior, wicked good gas mileage and a nice ride. I get 21-22 mpg on the highway and pulling my boat I get 16. 

I also have a 2017 1500 and I am extremely happy with it so far. In mild weather I consistently average 21-23 for rural every day driving 16-18 towing, and it is the nicest riding truck I have ever owned by far. And ditto on the GM vehicles, possibly for the same reasons as you.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...