Dodge Ram Trucks?

2 hours ago, Curt said:

Were they both the same truck?

Yes. I put more mileage on that SOB driving back and forth to the dealership than I did on the road.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• River19

• Birdcountry70

• Grouseman_1

• kgb

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have owned a string of 3500 and 2500 Rams, all diesel.  They have been reliable and all were over 250,000 miles when sold for better than expected money.  I am about to purchase a 2019 but it will p

A major "pet peeve" here in Ma .  An inch of snow is coming , we got plenty of money , let's spread a ton of salt on the ground so that these poor souls can get out of their driveway . RIDICULOUS

I was wondering if anyone would pick up on that lol.  Sadly yes, Snow, ice, sun, rain,......rinse repeat.   After a light snow or ice event you could cure a ham on any of our roads.  The par

Posted Images

11 hours ago, WI Outdoor Nut said:

I am just guessing, but do you have a fold down ramp with your UTV? 

For the record, when I pull either my 6000# boat or my enclosed V nose snowmobile trailer, I see anywhere between 11-15 mpg with my F150.  Pulled my brothers ranger with an AL trailer and ramp up.  I was down to 9 mpg.  It has all to do with the wind resistance with that darn ramp gate.  IMHO, it is worth getting a ramp that folds in 1/2.  Just a thought.......

So the trailer I referred to is a 8 1/2 x 24’ enclosed aluminum trailer that weighs 3,000 lbs and about 4800 lbs loaded. I also pull a 7x14’ open steel trailer which is about 3500 lbs loaded with the Ranger and a 34 ft travel trailer that’s about 8500 lbs loaded. The open trailer might average 8.5 MPG and honestly doesn’t get much better. You are correct it does have a full ramp. The other two average 7 mpg at best. 

I’d love to get 9 MPG and would be elated to get 11MPG. 

Mike

Birdcountry70
On 1/28/2019 at 2:20 PM, henryrski said:

I've owned two Dodges, my first and my last.

It's funny how we all have such different experiences. I had a Ford that left me feeling like that. My current truck is a Ram 1500 and I love it.  I had a 15 year run of lemons built by Ford, GMC and Dodge. All trucks that I would have been happy with but each had recurring issues that got to be a real pain.  I've had a couple of Chevrolet pick ups that were good ones. Won't ever by Toyota or Nissan again either though I know a lot of people love them. Probably the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned was a Jeep Cherokee but other folks will tell you they experienced just the opposite. Brand loyalty is a funny thing.

On 1/22/2019 at 11:21 AM, dogrunner said:

Hey, that thing got a Hemi. 😁

My buddy has a Toyota Tundra that has been a total lemon. We won’t let him drive on our moose hunts as we just don’t trust it. Toyota is probably the best truck on the market. Just making the point every brand has lemons. 

6 hours ago, terrym said:

My buddy has a Toyota Tundra that has been a total lemon. We won’t let him drive on our moose hunts as we just don’t trust it. Toyota is probably the best truck on the market. Just making the point every brand has lemons. 

Toyota is probably Not the best truck on the market. 

14 hours ago, dogrunner said:

Tick tock tick tock

On 2/2/2019 at 6:50 PM, dogrunner said:

I'm a Toyota guy and I agree with this statement.  Their current version of the Tundra is long in the tooth and I would say the traditional Big 3 all have offerings available that are more capable, comfortable, feature laden, fuel efficient and as reliable potentially  (time will tell).  That being said, all are great trucks in the grand scheme of things and if the price is right the Toyota is a fine implement.

That being said, I still don't understand the Tacoma populaarity at its price point.  I'm surrounded by them, driven them, etc. and just don't get it.

1 hour ago, Jazz4Brazo said:

I own one and don't get it

Pierre, fond memories of the 60-100 hours we put on that rig going to SD......

And actually it has been so long I forgot I actually OWNED a Tacoma for a few years (1998 V6 4WD Manual SR5).

Not to side track this lovely Ram thread any further (I have one of those too) but, my head scratching issue on the Tacoma is....while I understand the aftermarket support and I'm very familiar with the options as my 2 Toyotas share the same support BUT.....Tacoma is small, under powered, poor fuel economy on par with almost all full sized "1/2 tons" and even more expensive than full sized rigs in many cases.  The benefit of being slightly less wide on trails is wildly overblown and doesn't seem to outweigh all the other previously mentioned aspects.

I thought I was just being a dink and "didn't get it" but my feelings were reaffirmed recently when I drove a close friends 2016 TRD v6 6sp with mild lift, slightly larger tires and a cap and the thing struggled to maintain 45-50mph on single lane country roads and I constantly was downshifting to 3rd on the 6sp.  No wonder everyone regears Tacomas.  But if you spend $40K on a rig......should you really have to?

Off soap box.  Sorry needed to get that off my chest.

WI Outdoor Nut
On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 7:43 PM, Grouseman_1 said:

So the trailer I referred to is a 8 1/2 x 24’ enclosed aluminum trailer that weighs 3,000 lbs and about 4800 lbs loaded. I also pull a 7x14’ open steel trailer which is about 3500 lbs loaded with the Ranger and a 34 ft travel trailer that’s about 8500 lbs loaded. The open trailer might average 8.5 MPG and honestly doesn’t get much better. You are correct it does have a full ramp. The other two average 7 mpg at best. 

I’d love to get 9 MPG and would be elated to get 11MPG. 

Mike

Wow.  That is really bad.  Just looked, I have had my enclosed trailer hooked up I believe this whole tank and I am at 12.2 mph.  That is including some running at 70-75 mph highway running, which high speed kills mpg.  I don't buy trucks based solely on MPG, but am happy with what I get with my truck, and the power level.  For me, I love the turbos and the boost when needed. 

1 hour ago, River19 said:

Pierre, fond memories of the 60-100 hours we put on that rig going to SD......

And actually it has been so long I forgot I actually OWNED a Tacoma for a few years (1998 V6 4WD Manual SR5).

Not to side track this lovely Ram thread any further (I have one of those too) but, my head scratching issue on the Tacoma is....while I understand the aftermarket support and I'm very familiar with the options as my 2 Toyotas share the same support BUT.....Tacoma is small, under powered, poor fuel economy on par with almost all full sized "1/2 tons" and even more expensive than full sized rigs in many cases.  The benefit of being slightly less wide on trails is wildly overblown and doesn't seem to outweigh all the other previously mentioned aspects.

I thought I was just being a dink and "didn't get it" but my feelings were reaffirmed recently when I drove a close friends 2016 TRD v6 6sp with mild lift, slightly larger tires and a cap and the thing struggled to maintain 45-50mph on single lane country roads and I constantly was downshifting to 3rd on the 6sp.  No wonder everyone regears Tacomas.  But if you spend $40K on a rig......should you really have to?

Off soap box.  Sorry needed to get that off my chest.

Steve...your sentiments are why I am following these threads. If I ever wanted to pull a TT I will have to change to  real Truck and so far I am kind of in the RAM 1500 vs F150 camp as the Tundra seems oddly dated...fortunately my Tacoma has bizarre resale value.

2012 Ram 1500 5.7L 4X4 owner here. Love the truck. Plenty of ponies under the hood combined with a smooth ride. I replaced the factory tires with the tires that come on the Ram 2500/3500's, Firestone Transforce 285/60/20 to handle the rocky terrain in Chukar country. Great set up, smooth, quiet tire which is wearing extremely well. Last trip out the MPG was 18.38 doing a avg speed of 70mph. Here she is, a Ram in Ram Country...

IMG_0149 

WI Outdoor Nut
6 hours ago, ThomGordon said:

2012 Ram 1500 5.7L 4X4 owner here. Love the truck. Plenty of ponies under the hood combined with a smooth ride. I replaced the factory tires with the tires that come on the Ram 2500/3500's, Firestone Transforce 285/60/20 to handle the rocky terrain in Chukar country. Great set up, smooth, quiet tire which is wearing extremely well. Last trip out the MPG was 18.38 doing a avg speed of 70mph. Here she is, a Ram in Ram Country...

IMG_0149 

My truck never looks as clean as yours off the beaten path.  Do you hit mud puddles going 2-3 mph?  Photos of your truck always look great!

On 2/4/2019 at 3:25 PM, WI Outdoor Nut said:

Wow.  That is really bad.  Just looked, I have had my enclosed trailer hooked up I believe this whole tank and I am at 12.2 mph.  That is including some running at 70-75 mph highway running, which high speed kills mpg.  I don't buy trucks based solely on MPG, but am happy with what I get with my truck, and the power level.  For me, I love the turbos and the boost when needed. 

Well this weekend could be the maiden voyage with my new truck. We’ll see what the mpg is with this truck. 

I bought my first Dodge Ram, a 2500 with a 6.4L Hemi, and so far I really like it. Pulling my 17 foot Ranger and a bunch of supplies I was getting 13 MPG. Only have 5000 miles on it so time will tell how reliable it is but hoping it won’t be any worse than the Fords and Chevys I’ve owned. Dave