Senator Tim Mathern

Appropriations Committee

Remo
1 hour ago, john mcg said:

This made me chuckle.

Ok, I will vote no.

Senator Tim Mathern

Appropriations Committee

He is one of the good ones. Thanks for helping.

Clueless1

I didn't know of the South Dakota angle.  I merely said if this passes my group will not consider North Dakota anymore.  I've found short and truthful works the best for me.  If I start rambling (as can be seen in many posts on UJ) I can head off in a direction that can confuse even myself 😀

john mcg
3 minutes ago, Clueless1 said:

I didn't know of the South Dakota angle.  I merely said if this passes my group will not consider North Dakota anymore.  I've found short and truthful works the best for me.  If I start rambling (as can be seen in many posts on UJ) I can head off in a direction that can confuse even myself 😀

I simply suggested that many folks might decide to go to SD instead and that the bill if passed would reduce the moneys brought by resident and non-resident sportsmen, alike.

bobman

Dick,

thanks as always for your efforts this really should be moved to the general discussions or at least a link to get it more play

Im going to cut and past your original post on to the ultimate pheasant forum site

Bob

Longrifle

Where I hunt in North Dakota, 95% of the land is posted.  There it would simply remove the requirement of the land owner to post it legally every year.  Is that the argument of the stockmen's association?  

Remo
1 hour ago, bobman said:

Dick,

thanks as always for your efforts this really should be moved to the general discussions or at least a link to get it more play

Im going to cut and paste your original post on to the ultimate pheasant forum site

Bob

Thanks Bob.

Remo
15 minutes ago, Longrifle said:

Where I hunt in North Dakota, 95% of the land is posted.  There it would simply remove the requirement of the land owner to post it legally every year.  Is that the argument of the stockmen's association?  

That is their public argument, but their intent is to make ND a pay hunting state like SD. They are using the exact same talking points as they did in SD and Idaho. Their effort is a deception to their intent. ND has had our current trespass law since the great depression. Much like the New England states.

Big Al

I wonder what the land owners think about this?  Are there any on UJ?

I'm also curious why you all think this is the end of access for hunters?  What they are proposing is what Montana has for a trespass law and hunters still consider MT a destination.  I'm not taking sides just trying to find out why the sky is falling.

Remo

Yep, I understand that too, and I am a farmer-landowner. ND has a small amount of public land mostly concentrated in a few extreme western counties. There is no block management program. The walk-in spots are small acreage. 2 guys and 2 dogs could pound out one in a couple hours. In my county the biggest farmers don't post their land. They don't want to be bothered at work, especially in the fall of the year which is hunting season. Under the new bill everything is posted and you have search out the person who gives permission. Landowner? Renter? Grandchild in Chicago? Good luck. Everybody is on cell phone now days and won't answer if they don't recognize the numbers. 

The farmers who sell wildlife here view non-posted land as competition. It just drives them nuts. Which is sort of fun. 😃 In an evil sort of way. We are getting feed back from the senate that they are getting 3-400 emails a day, each, biggest issue in the legislature this year.

robp

thanks

Here's what I sent

Senators
My Name is Robert Paetzold  I have been upland hunting in your amazing state of North Dakota for the last 28 years. The majority of property I hunt is land that is not posted for no trespass.
Typically I  stay in town at a hotel and drive around until I find  spots that looks good and are not posted and I hunt those spots. This gives  me a  great sense of adventure and pleasure to my hunting trips. The adventure being not knowing what the land scape will look like or where I will end up for the day.
This is the reason I love hunting North Dakota over other states .Typically I purchase 6 out of state hunting licenses per season and stay in small town hotels. I purposely buy lodging, hunting supplies,gas and food in these small towns rather than bring it in from out of town in order to generate
some type of revenue for these communities. I have always enjoyed my hunting trips in your state more than I can express.  Changing the North Dakota’s current No trespassing law would severely impact my hunting opportunities and enjoyment. Please consider voting no on bill # iSB 2315
Most respectfully
Robert Paetzold

PartridgeCartridge

This topic is confusing to me. Are you saying the public has a right to trespass on private land? Just curious.

bigjohnsd

Essentially yes, if the land is not properly and legally posted the public has the right to hunt on the land.  

john mcg
22 minutes ago, PartridgeCartridge said:

This topic is confusing to me. Are you saying the public has a right to trespass on private land? Just curious.

This has been the case in NH since the wooly mammoth.