2019 UJ Fly Swap

browndrake

Well, let's start this off right this year and actually get it rolling in January. I really don't plan on any unexpected moved this year, so should be good to host without interruptions, unless somebody else is wanting to step into that role.

***EDIT

This years theme:

(Thanks to Big Pine for the idea.)

... “meat” year—streamers, leeches, crayfish and other stuff that will cross over between big trout, warm water critters, and even saltwater.

If there is nothing like that in your repertoire, still join the fun and just tie whatever.

Aaron

***EDIT

adding the rules here at the top.:

- Each tier will tie 1 fly for each participant, plus one extra - the extra fly will be donated to Brad for use how he sees fit (perhaps the annual auction) 

- Commitment deadline: lets say Valentine's weekend  (this is when people need to commit that they are in the swap).

- Completion deadline - Flies should be completed and in the mail to me by March 15th. I'll PM the participants my mailing address.  Flies will be mailed to the tiers as soon as possible after they have all been received.

- Flies should be mailed in some sort of reusable container that is large enough to hold all the flies that are going back to you.  Put your real name, UJ name, and mailing address in or on the box so I know who to return it to.

-There is only one really firm rule on this:  Participants MUST include a postage paid return envelope to get your flies back to you. So, if you forget your postage paid return envelope, think of it like donating your flies to Brad's pile for auction purposes!

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Participants: (so far)

browndrake

Big Pine

D. Case

john mcg

shoot-straight

Keith

Chubs

WMassGriff

Nick

Colt45

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• browndrake

• john mcg

• Big Pine

• D. Case

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hey everyone, I'm Nick, Mike the Carpenter's son. I entered this swap with hopes of challenging myself to expand my boundaries, seeing that I primarily tie small dry flies. This years theme of "meat"

Come Monday you will have 10 of Nick’s Diving Articulated Minnows (DAM) inbound.  Nick says that when someone needs a sure thing when fishing, they can grab one of his DAM flies.  This fly is on a #6

I'm going to do a couple. an articulated minnow and a minnow I've had great luck with both trout and smallmouth.

Posted Images

Count me in either way. Maybe we could do a “meat” year—streamers, leeches, crayfish and other stuff that will cross over between big trout, warm water critters, and even saltwater?  Just an idea, but it might be fun.

Everybody ties a number of a chosen fly and then everyone gets one of each.

At least that is the way its worked in the past.

Like^^^ said.  We all tie enough flies for everybody participating, mail them to me, and I divide them up and mail back out to everyone.

When I get back to a computer, later today, I'll post the rules.

ok, added rules and deadlines to the first post.

I'm fine with any theme.  Big Pine threw out possible theme of  “meat” year ....streamers, leeches, crawdad, mouse... so many choices.....

Other ideas to batter back and forth or go with that? 

Sounds good.  We have 8 people in so far.  Two weeks left to sign up.  If you know anybody else that would enjoy participating, let them know whats going on and see if they want to join.

aaron

I've decided on a pattern.

Its basically a soft hackle/marabou leech pattern inspired by a fly (I have no idea where I got it) that I used on West Canada Creek years ago. It will be designed to get down deep in fast water where you know or suspect there are fish holding in a scoop hole.

This sucker (pun intended) caught browns when nothing else worked in high water.

I figured it makes sense to describe a fly in order to maybe not have two many similars--rather a variety.

Perhaps a picture as well?

What say you?