• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• browndrake

• john mcg

• Big Pine

• D. Case

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hey everyone, I'm Nick, Mike the Carpenter's son. I entered this swap with hopes of challenging myself to expand my boundaries, seeing that I primarily tie small dry flies. This years theme of "meat"

Come Monday you will have 10 of Nick’s Diving Articulated Minnows (DAM) inbound.  Nick says that when someone needs a sure thing when fishing, they can grab one of his DAM flies.  This fly is on a #6

I'm going to do a couple. an articulated minnow and a minnow I've had great luck with both trout and smallmouth.

Posted Images

Is everyone a trout fisherman or are there a  any smallmouth fisherman? I am going to do  an articulated minnow with lead eyes, color scheme  dependent on the species the majority fish for.

Mike da Carpenter

Just ran this past my oldest son, Nick (15), who has gotten into fly tying as an obsession.  Started out as just something for him to do in his free time and morphed into him completely taking over my arrow building station.  Guys at our Sportsman’s Club have been putting in orders, and every month he is donating flys to the raffle tables at all the Club events.  The only time we see him now is when he comes up for feeding time. HA!!  He has been saving all the money that he made from tying flies and is looking forward to the coming fly tying Expo in March so he can buy himself a Peak Vice.  Can’t blame him for working hard to buy quality stuff to produce more quality stuff.

Anyway, I read him the rules, forwarded him the link to read, and he said he would like to partake in the 2019 Fly Swap.  I’ll talk to his mom about him signing up for UJ, but until then I’ll be posting for him.  Probably too young with way to much spunk for you guys.  It’s hard for me to even understand some of the terminology he speakith.  😀

B5D32F87-0FB6-436C-8768-C40CBE45F176.thumb.jpeg.42288d9f757cd3ac49638e0a86c46120.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Mike da Carpenter said:

Just ran this past my oldest son, Nick (15), who has gotten into fly tying as an obsession.  Started out as just something for him to do in his free time and morphed into him completely taking over my arrow building station.  Guys at our Sportsman’s Club have been putting in orders, and every month he is donating flys to the raffle tables at all the Club events.  The only time we see him now is when he comes up for feeding time. HA!!  He has been saving all the money that he made from tying flies and is looking forward to the coming fly tying Expo in March so he can buy himself a Peak Vice.  Can’t blame him for working hard to buy quality stuff to produce more quality stuff.

Anyway, I read him the rules, forwarded him the link to read, and he said he would like to partake in the 2019 Fly Swap.  I’ll talk to his mom (and Brad) about him signing up for UJ, but until then I’ll be posting for him.

B5D32F87-0FB6-436C-8768-C40CBE45F176.thumb.jpeg.42288d9f757cd3ac49638e0a86c46120.jpeg

Great photo Mike.  It brings back memories of my youth during the Ice Age.  Oh wait, the Ice Age is now.

Perk

I'll add him to the list.  If he gets registered just let me know his handle.

Looks like a budding addict....the healthy kind.

1 minute ago, john mcg said:

I love it!

i vote him in as a member.

Encourwge that lad. You are both fortunate.

Here is another vote.

Perk

I'll tie some sort of sculpin imitation. It'll either be some variation of Kelly Galloup's articulated Mini Dungeon or a single-hook pattern with a zonker strip I've been working on.

22 hours ago, D. Case said:

Is everyone a trout fisherman or are there a  any smallmouth fisherman? I am going to do  an articulated minnow with lead eyes, color scheme  dependent on the species the majority fish for.

I fish smallmouth all the time during July and August. Catch a few walleyes during the process, too. 

I’m going to tie a Pinczkowski Swing Craw, which is basically a craft fur clouser with some extra legs and furry bits. I use them for warm water fishes, but they’re pretty good for trout, too. 

So there aren't too many repeats.

"WCC Brown Slayer"

10 Med. Wt.

3/16 bead w/3 wraps of lead wire behind to lock

Whiting COq De Leon Speckled Copper Olive soft hackle and chickabou

Spirit River Peacock 'Ice Dubbing

IMG_6463.JPG

Hey everyone, I'm Nick, Mike the Carpenter's son. I entered this swap with hopes of challenging myself to expand my boundaries, seeing that I primarily tie small dry flies. This years theme of "meat" is allowing for me to do so. I look forward to seeing everyone else's work!