• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• browndrake

• john mcg

• Big Pine

• D. Case

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hey everyone, I'm Nick, Mike the Carpenter's son. I entered this swap with hopes of challenging myself to expand my boundaries, seeing that I primarily tie small dry flies. This years theme of "meat"

Come Monday you will have 10 of Nick’s Diving Articulated Minnows (DAM) inbound.  Nick says that when someone needs a sure thing when fishing, they can grab one of his DAM flies.  This fly is on a #6

I'm going to do a couple. an articulated minnow and a minnow I've had great luck with both trout and smallmouth.

Posted Images

On 2/7/2019 at 5:13 PM, Nick said:

Hey everyone, I'm Nick, Mike the Carpenter's son. I entered this swap with hopes of challenging myself to expand my boundaries, seeing that I primarily tie small dry flies. This years theme of "meat" is allowing for me to do so. I look forward to seeing everyone else's work!

Welcome to the UJ Board Nick. And glad you have joined in on one of UJ's traditions...The Annual Fly Swap.

Welcome aboard Nick! This is a great place with great people.  Glad to have you in the fly swap.

Love the "meat" theme.   I'm not a good enough tyer to want to join in on the swap, but if a package gets auctioned off at the end of the year, I'll watch for that.  I'm hitting southeast Alaska this summer for the 3rd time and some of the meat themed flies would probably work well there.  I've tied a bunch of pink flashabou buggers and they seem to work about as well as anything there and they don't really even have to be pretty.  Thanks for setting up the swap, I'll be watching even though I won't participate.

7 minutes ago, GANGGREEN said:

I'm not a good enough tyer to want to join in on the swap, but if a package gets auctioned off at the end of the year, ....

Typically Browndrake sends me a nice selection of flies from the Annual Fly Swap and I add those to the Summer/Fall UJ Auction. They are all working works of art for the most part.

I'll definitely watch for them Brad.  As you probably know, I've been mostly away from the board for a number of years, life has just gotten in the way, but I'm finding myself with more time for the things that matter to me (bird hunting and fly fishing being fairly high on the list) and it's nice to be back, to see and speak to old friends and to talk about such things.  I'm sure the fly selection will be gorgeous.

Sometimes when a perfectly wrapped fly gets used and abused a bit, it looks better to the fish.

I see no reason why they can't start that way---join in Ganggreen.

Just now, john mcg said:

Sometimes when a perfectly wrapped fly gets used and abused a bit, it looks better to the fish.

I see no reason why they can't start that way---join in Ganggreen.

We'll see.  It never hurts to have a few more guys in a fly swap, but surely what I could offer wouldn't be up to standard.  Like I said, we'll see.

haven't tied a fly in years as we are now in saltwater country and you don't need much more than a simple clouser to get it done.  Anyways posting here to request a photo of the collection once Brad gets them.  Would love to see what everyone creates.  

51 minutes ago, GANGGREEN said:

We'll see.  It never hurts to have a few more guys in a fly swap, but surely what I could offer wouldn't be up to standard.  Like I said, we'll see.

We all start somewhere.  This swap isn't about perfection, it is about fun. We would love to have you.

44 minutes ago, Jacksdad said:

haven't tied a fly in years as we are now in saltwater country and you don't need much more than a simple clouser to get it done.  Anyways posting here to request a photo of the collection once Brad gets them.  Would love to see what everyone creates.  

We will post pics here when they are all done.  Also, if you want to participate, a "simple clouser" would be more than welcome.

I'm going to do a couple. an articulated minnow and a minnow I've had great luck with both trout and smallmouth.

20190213_172400.jpg

This is the final weekend to join the fly swap this year.  If you want in and you don't see your name in the first post, please reply here or pm me.

I will close entry Sunday evening. We then have approximately one month to get some bugs tied and shipped to me.  With the meat fly theme, be sure your return package is large enough..altoid tins will likely not work this year.

Thanks all for joining in.

The entry into the UJ 2019 FlySwap is closed.

We have 10 participants.

So, we all need to 10 ten flys: one for each of the other participants and one for Brad to use at his discretion. (I think he always puts them in the auction)

Remember:

- Flies should be mailed in some sort of reusable container that is large enough to hold all the flies that are going back to you.  Put your real name, UJ name, and mailing address in or on the box so I know who to return it to.

-There is only one really firm rule on this:  Participants MUST include a postage paid return envelope to get your flies back to you. So, if you forget your postage paid return envelope, think of it like donating your flies to Brad's pile for auction purposes!

I will PM you all my mailing address sometime this week...likely Sunday.

Have fun tying.

Mike da Carpenter

Come Monday you will have 10 of Nick’s Diving Articulated Minnows (DAM) inbound.  Nick says that when someone needs a sure thing when fishing, they can grab one of his DAM flies.  This fly is on a #6 hook paired with an articulated shank, 7/32 ounce dumbbell eye and finishes off at 4 inches long.

D36928B5-4E43-4B67-B54B-C0BA946D6B5A.thumb.jpeg.dbc08163263bc5bbd3bb405b3d65efb5.jpeg