REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
topdog1961

Dumb TVs

topdog1961

We recently got internet, at least useable internet, at our rural home for the first time, via a line of sight microwave signal. We only have one "Smart" TV that can utilize wi-if directly.  But we have a couple more big flatscreens that have a good picture. I hate to get rid of them just because they can't access Netflix directly. What's the best, least expensive, easiest to use gizmo that will access the Internet for these TVs?  

OldSarge

If you already have a gaming system like Xbox or PS3/4 you can use them to run Netflix. Also Roku box is pretty easy to use. Your laptop with a HDMI cable output to the TV will work also.

Locher

most Blue Ray players now have smart capability now too.

topdog1961

My son has a PS4. He's loving the new internet because now he can download games. But I doubt he'd appreciate me taking it to the bedroom so the wife and I can watch a movie. 

I just checked and our little Chromebook does have a HDMI port. That's a free and immediate solution but in the long run I think I'd like a remote so we can pause a movie as needed without getting up. With kids and phones there's a lot of interruptions. 

A quick check indictes fire stick and ROKU are the most popular. The new 4K Fire stick is $40 and ROKU express is $30. Both have remotes. Ease of use and portability from one tv to another are desired. 

If it matters, we have Direct TV satellite as a provider, and our internet signal speed will support 1080 HD but not 4K. Nor are the TVs 4K. And we are Prime subscribers. 

Cold Iron

If you have Amazon Prime, and everyone I know does, Amazon Fire TV stick or cube. 

Cold Iron

Ha you posted right before I did. Any of them will down sample the signal to what the TV can support or at least should. Have Amazon Fire TV box the old one and really like it. I can watch Netflix through it or the blu ray player and use Fire TV all the time. Although almost never do my son streams Netflix on his tablet. Don't watch much TV anymore the trees blocked my Directv signal after 18 years here so had to go back to cable, only because they are my internet service provider. Go with the Firestick and watch Bosch and Jack Ryan, be surprised if you weren't pleased.

topdog1961

Thanks for the laptop tip OldSarge. It took me about an hour but I finally got the little Samsung Chromebook 3 to display on the TV. I assumed I only needed to connect them using the HDMI cable..but it's not so easy. I had to set the display on the tablet to mirror the image on the screen to the TV. Nothing on the Internet, not even YouTube showed exactly how to do it, and it was not at all intuitive. I'm not even sure I could do it again. But boy was it worth it. Even the 60" dumb Vizio has a spectacular picture when generated by the little notebook. It may not be 4K but I doubt my old eyes could see more detail. It's noticeably superior to the direct tv signal. If not for the remote issue, I'd be fine with this set up. But I likely will get a fire stick or ROKU just for that convenience. Leaning toward fire stick based on  Cold Iron, but I can only hope the picture is this good.