Favorite Outdoor writers

Just wondering who everyone's favorites might be. I think for me it is Gordon Macquarrie for sure, some others in there too. Pat McManus. I guess I am secretly hoping someone can turn me on to some others in that same vein. I have read every Gordon Mac story at least 10 times.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Larry Brown

• kgb

• Marc Ret

• oak stob

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sadly all my favorite outdoor writers are gone.

Cooter Brown. Internet scribe.

I’ve read Robert Ruark’s “The Old Man and the Boy” and “The Old Man’s Boy Grows Older” so many times over the years, I could practically recite them from memory.    I have been so moved over

Posted Images

Michael McIntosh, Gene Hill, and Charlie Waterman are favorites. Larry Brown's pheasant book was a good read. "A High Lonesome Call" by Richard Holthouser was excellent. Don't know if he wrote any others. 

Of modern writer's I like John Barsness and David Petzal.  Based on interactions with him on another forum, Mr. Barsness is a very knowledgeable and down to earth fellow.  

8 hours ago, Tjasper said:

Just wondering who everyone's favorites might be. I think for me it is Gordon Macquarrie for sure, some others in there too. Pat McManus. I guess I am secretly hoping someone can turn me on to some others in that same vein. I have read every Gordon Mac story at least 10 times.

From those choices, sounds to me like you might enjoy Corey Ford.  Especially his old "Lower Forty" stories.

7 hours ago, Don Steese said:

Michael McIntosh, Gene Hill, and Charlie Waterman are favorites. Larry Brown's pheasant book was a good read. "A High Lonesome Call" by Richard Holthouser was excellent. Don't know if he wrote any others. 

Thanks, Don.  But you've got me worried.  Stuck in there with a bunch of dead guys (except Holthouser)!

My favorites are all gone; Nash Buckingham, Burt Spiller, Corey Ford, Ed Zern, Havilah Babcock.  I'm still reading the "Hook&Bullet" rags though...SelbyLowndes

12 minutes ago, SelbyLowndes said:

My favorites are all gone; Nash Buckingham, Burt Spiller, Corey Ford, Ed Zern, Havilah Babcock.  I'm still reading the "Hook&Bullet" rags though...SelbyLowndes

Same first three as Selby listed above.

I enjoy many of the old writers for both information and entertainment. If I had to pick just one favorite--its Corey Ford.

His 'Lower Forty' stories are a treasure. In part because I can relate to the New Hampshire I know and love.

John Gierach is entertaining in much the same way...flyfishing with some bird hunting thrown in.

E. Donnell Thomas, JR., John Barsness, Thomas McIntyer, Layne Simpson...

Old school...Ted Trueblood, Jack O'Connor. Ray Holland, Elmer Keith, Jim Carmichael.