REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Tjasper

Favorite Outdoor writers

Jack L

I agree with every one who has been mentioned.  I would add Datus Proper and Steven Mulak.

Kemo Sabe
1 hour ago, C.J.L. said:

The Smith boys ain't bad either.  Chris knows how to use a paint brush and a pencil.  

You bet he is!

Here’s one of a number of paintings he’s done for me. From a photo of the three different drake teal I shot on opening day a few years ago.

B0AD4306-F4F9-4354-AE33-31F391646A2B.jpeg

C.J.L.
17 minutes ago, Kemo Sabe said:

You bet he is!

Here’s one of a number of paintings he’s done for me. From a photo of the three different drake teal I shot on opening day a few years ago.

B0AD4306-F4F9-4354-AE33-31F391646A2B.jpeg

Very cool.  Chris and I when to school together.  

shorebird

Mark Jeffrey Volk

mccuha

Another vote for Buckingham, Babcock

Ben Hong

I had a friend who lived in the Ottawa Region. Bill McClure had a regular column in Gundog Magazine (North of the Border) from its early days until Bill retired. In the 90s a lot of my work involved travel to his home area and of course each trip required the "mandatory" sit down with Bill. I learned a lot!

George Foster

John Barness is a very good writer, I have his shotgun book but I feel he is mostly a rifle and cartridge writer.  When I have asked he has given me excellent advice on questions about reloading rifle cartridges.  Layne Simpson is another very good writer and I have a book about shotguns that he wrote.

steveziv

Hill and Capstick are the only two who jump to mind. Thomas McGuane turns a brilliant phrase from time to time but it can be work getting there.  Honestly I'm a little jaded to outdoor writing. How many times do you need to hear the story about the boy and the old truck and the farmhouse and the gravel road and Uncle Clem's Ithaca and the dead dog?

Marc Ret
18 hours ago, Clueless1 said:

Grew up reading anything Craig Boddington would write.  But, then again, I grew up big game hunting/dreaming mostly. 

I met and chatted for a while with him a few years ago. Decent enough guy but the one thing that really struck me was what a small man, stature wise, he is (or at least was at that time). He does have at least one very attractive daughter though. 

oak stob
18 minutes ago, steveziv said:

...How many times do you need to hear the story about the boy and the old truck and the farmhouse and the gravel road and Uncle Clem's Ithaca and the dead dog?

Until a painting fades or a sunset dims, perhaps.....thankfully, it's all about the individual and never the group.

Craig Conroy

I like everyone on the composite list, but if I had to narrow it to three, it's McQuarrie, O'Connor and Barsness.

Clueless1
20 minutes ago, Marc Ret said:

I met and chatted for a while with him a few years ago. Decent enough guy but the one thing that really struck me was what a small man, stature wise, he is (or at least was at that time). He does have at least one very attractive daughter though. 

Surprising given the cartridges he shoots most of the time. 

Kemo Sabe
40 minutes ago, steveziv said:

Honestly I'm a little jaded to outdoor writing.  How many times do you need to hear the story about the boy and the old truck and the farmhouse and the gravel road and Uncle Clem's Ithaca and the dead dog?

You make a point, but most of these guys usually go a lot deeper than that. And even that stuff can be "warm and fuzzy" on a cold night by a fire with a glass (or 2)  of a good wine. 

Brad Eden

Member Wisconsin aka Ken is making a name for himself. Two upland books published in the last year or two.

Marc Ret
2 hours ago, Clueless1 said:

Surprising given the cartridges he shoots most of the time. 

I think we place too much emphasis on physical mass when it comes to handling recoil. I would guess I had 5 inches or so (I'm only 5' 11") and a good 60 lbs (I usually run a fairly solid 215lbs) on him at the time of meeting. I'd wager he can handle a big gun much better than I. Familiarity with how to handle heavy recoil and a proper fitting gun go a long way.