Tjasper

Favorite Outdoor writers

phonefly

Who is Tom Davis?  Reference was made to Sporting Classics --- been a subscriber for about 18 years and the name doesn't register.

Uplander
On 1/28/2019 at 9:32 PM, shorebird said:

Mark Jeffrey Volk

The best by far.

kgb
15 hours ago, Marc Ret said:

Not much available on his passing but this

Photo looks like it is him, he wrote quite steadily on shotguns and shooting for a long stretch of years.

kgb
1 hour ago, phonefly said:

Who is Tom Davis?  Reference was made to Sporting Classics --- been a subscriber for about 18 years and the name doesn't register.

He's got an entry in the Jan/Feb 2019 issue, in addition to his usual Gundogs column there.  

oak stob
On 1/28/2019 at 9:32 PM, shorebird said:

Mark Jeffrey Volk

It is nice that there is someone for everyone.

Larry Brown
16 hours ago, Wisconsin said:

Nick Sisley. Author of Grouse Magic.

I read he passed away a few days ago.

Larry?

Ken

I had not heard Nick passed away.  That's definitely him.  Sorry to hear that.  81.  I thought he might have been older than that.  He'd been writing actively for a long time.  Only met him once, at an outdoor writers' get together.  I picked Nick's brain about hunting grouse and woodcock in the East; he picked mine about pheasant hunting, PA having pretty much lost all its wild ringnecks by that time.

I'm sure folks here who hunt grouse and woodcock would enjoy Nick's book "Grouse and Woodcock:  An Upland Hunter's Book".  He's also been doing gun reviews for RGS Magazine for a number of years. 

Nick was from Pennsylvania, but he also hunted the UP pretty regularly for several years.  He's one of a group of good outdoor writers of his generation from PA who wrote about upland hunting:  Jim Bashline, Bob Bell.  Charles Fergus somewhat younger.

Marc Ret
29 minutes ago, kgb said:

Photo looks like it is him, he wrote quite steadily on shotguns and shooting for a long stretch of years.

Yes, it's him. I wonder if he still had my dog at the time of his passing. 

Larry Brown
16 hours ago, Jack L said:

Larry the last time I was up there chasing grouse I talked to a Dnr guy who told me he hadn’t seen a grouse in 10  years. I think the last one I saw was in the 90’s.  

When I still lived in Iowa, I'd usually go up that way to chase woodcock before pheasant season opened.  Going back to the early 90's, would still bag the occasional grouse.  But it wasn't like the days when we'd camp up there opening weekend and always take a few birds.  All on public land.  1980 was an unbelievable opener--in more ways than one for me.  We had over 60 flushes in a day and a half, 4 of us hunting dogless.  One covert 13 birds for 20 flushes; another one 10 birds for 15 flushes.  My trusty old Sauer was in the shop, and I was shooting a little Italian 20ga OU.  Didn't fit--as established by the fact that I went 0 for 14 on grouse!  And I had several really good chances.  The 20ga OU quickly went away.  I came close to wrapping it around a tree more than once.

As the forest aged with basically no logging, bird numbers declined.  Some hunters also thought it might have had something to do with the wild turkeys, because we were seeing more and more turkeys, fewer and fewer grouse.

kgb
33 minutes ago, Larry Brown said:

Didn't fit--as established by the fact that I went 0 for 14 on grouse! 

Some hunters also thought it might have had something to do with the wild turkeys, because we were seeing more and more turkeys, fewer and fewer grouse.

I couldn't draw such a conclusion if it had been me shooting.  Have to chalk it up to me doing the shooting.

Turkeys get the blame for declined quail with eyewitness reports of them eating quail eggs, why not grouse as well?

oak stob
1 minute ago, kgb said:

'''Turkeys get the blame for declined quail with eyewitness reports of them eating quail eggs, why not grouse as well?

In some high turkey areas, perhaps because of video-monitored ruffed grouse nests.

kgb

As good a why not as any.

DTB

Tell me more about Grouse Magic.

I guided Nick Sisley in Alaska in about 1983. He caught some nice rainbows on frog pattern popping bugs just to see it would work. He wrote up a nice article and mentioned me and where I was going to school at the time.That was a big deal for a 19 year old as I remember it.

Then about 20-25 years later I bumped into him at a SHOT show in Orlando.He remembered me after I reminded him of the popping bugs.

RIP

mccuha

Arcibald Rutledge is another writer I enjoy reading. Not to mention he was from sc   He had a family place off the santee river before lake santee was built and was a true wildlife Mecca. I was in a dove club outside of Columbia  that his son had.  I was able to have some very interesting conversations with him about his father.  

Larry Brown

The story I heard, re turkeys and quail, was that people had found undigested quail chicks in turkeys they'd shot.  Didn't seem likely to me.  At least in a lot of places, quail chicks wouldn't be hatching until spring turkey season is over.  Might they eat the eggs?  I suppose that's possible.  And I have seen a photo of a turkey egg in a grouse nest along with the grouse eggs.  (Hen turkeys, in addition to laying eggs in a nest, will sometimes drop some indiscriminately.)  The result of which was that the hen grouse abandoned her nest.

Larry Brown
On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 11:56 AM, kgb said:

I couldn't draw such a conclusion if it had been me shooting.  Have to chalk it up to me doing the shooting.

Kirk, I might have thought the same thing, maybe chalked it up to an unfamiliar gun . . . if I hadn't had so many "gimme" shots.  What happened was I'd only shot a couple rounds of skeet with my backup gun--premounting.  After that 0-fer streak, I tried mounting the gun with my eyes closed, then opening them to see where I was aiming.  Not even close.  What had happened was that I was able to make the gun fit when I premounted and adjusted.  Learned an important lesson.  To paraphrase OJ Simpson's lawyer:  "If it do not fit, you will not hit!"  Especially when shooting at flying targets.