REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Tjasper

Favorite Outdoor writers

kgb
2 hours ago, Larry Brown said:

Kirk, I might have thought the same thing, maybe chalked it up to an unfamiliar gun . . . if I hadn't had so many "gimme" shots.  What happened was I'd only shot a couple rounds of skeet with my backup gun--premounting.  After that 0-fer streak, I tried mounting the gun with my eyes closed, then opening them to see where I was aiming.  Not even close.  What had happened was that I was able to make the gun fit when I premounted and adjusted.  Learned an important lesson.  To paraphrase OJ Simpson's lawyer:  "If it do not fit, you will not hit!"  Especially when shooting at flying targets.

A Philadelphia Sterlingworth with a lot of drop did that for me, fine at gun-up skeet and dismal otherwise.  Had to acquit that one, as nice as it otherwise presented itself.

Possumtown

My favs would be Nash Buckingham, William Faulkner, Archibald Rutledge, Burt Spiller and Peter Capstick. I also read a deer story by Dan Flores in F&S years ago that was special.

kgb
1 hour ago, Possumtown said:

My favs would be Nash Buckingham, William Faulkner, Archibald Rutledge, Burt Spiller and Peter Capstick. I also read a deer story by Dan Flores in F&S years ago that was special.

I wish I had kept a Capstick review of an air rifle.  He set out a hamburger to bait rats and wrote as if he were in a Leopard blind.  Capstick stories are the ones my wife has read along with me.

Skybuster

I skimmed all 8 pages and I did not find the name of Frank Woolner who wrote "Grouse and Grouse Hunting" published in 1970.  I acquired a copy of this book when it hit the streets and I have not heard that subsequent editions have been released. I highly recommend it to grouse hunters if you can find a copy. Here's an example, and if I am violating copyright laws Brad please post hole this offering:  "A covert is a treasure, and he who shares his riches with another must be considered a true friend. There are men who would willingly share their wives- although I suppose this is logical, considering that wives aren't plagued by cycles of abundance and decline and can even be replaced in the event of a poor season."  Now that is genius!

Jalinkly

I have been looking to pick up a copy of Frank Woolner's book.

Steve Hunts

John Hewitt's new book, "All Great Retrievers are Temperamental" is quite good. A collection of some of his stuff from back-in-the-day with Grays.

1971snipe
On 2/13/2019 at 3:38 PM, kgb said:

I wish I had kept a Capstick review of an air rifle.  He set out a hamburger to bait rats and wrote as if he were in a Leopard blind.  Capstick stories are the ones my wife has read along with me.

As a kid, as well as when a pre-teen, my friends and I shared many hours with air rifles, baiting and otherwise, and you'd have thought we were "in a leopard blind", as you say.  I've never been anywhere near a leopard blind.  But I've sat on the dirt floor of an old garage in the dark, and when the lights were turned on shoot as many cockroaches as possible before they all found cover.  They were the biggest roaches you've ever seen, and we kept score.  "Roach tournaments".  As far as baiting rats, that was done on the beach at night, using old Coleman lanterns for light, while our dads sat closer to the surf in folding chairs, next their surf rods with lines set out, fishing for large redfish, "bull reds".   Great long ago memories.  Thanks for the reminder.  

Carry on.  

ErikT
On 2/9/2019 at 7:19 PM, Wisconsin said:

Nick Sisley. Author of Grouse Magic.

I read he passed away a few days ago.

Larry?

Ken

I just heard about the passing of Nick Sisley.  He was a manical grouse hunter... back when PA was loaded with grouse. I have a couple of his books, one being an old spiral bound book. Still love to dig it out once and awhile.